CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
Chu Kim

Profile:
Crossfit System and the Military

I am a complete newbie to the whole concept of crossfit. It so far seems like it has some really great ideas and approaches to developing fitness in all areas. So I am interested in getting to know more about the whole philosophy.

Anyway, I noticed one thing so far from being on this forum, and maybe it might be just a coincidence. There seems to be alot of military people on here, so my current question is if there is a connection between being in the armed services and employing the crossfit system. What is the connection, assuming there is any?
Old 10-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
Chris Brigham

Profile:
Re: Crossfit System and the Military

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Kim View Post
I am a complete newbie to the whole concept of crossfit. It so far seems like it has some really great ideas and approaches to developing fitness in all areas. So I am interested in getting to know more about the whole philosophy.

Anyway, I noticed one thing so far from being on this forum, and maybe it might be just a coincidence. There seems to be alot of military people on here, so my current question is if there is a connection between being in the armed services and employing the crossfit system. What is the connection, assuming there is any?
My knowledge is that, Crossfit or a form of, was originally created for the military spec ops groups, and then transfered to the Law Enforcement and Fire and spread from there
Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

CF-style training is a pretty effective way to go for guys in the military because it does a lot better job of preparing you for the stresses of combat (or day to day garrison life, for that matter) than the old-school military PT of "jog 3 miles slow, then do some stretches and calisthenics." You'll notice lots of LEOs and FFs on here for the same reasons.

Lots of units have gotten smart and emphasized functional fitness rather than traditional military PT methods, whether they call it "CF" or not. Base gyms have gotten a lot more CF-friendly over the last few years as well due to guys demanding more KBs/barbells/bumper plates/plyo boxes/etc.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Peter Queen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
CF-style training is a pretty effective way to go for guys in the military because it does a lot better job of preparing you for the stresses of combat (or day to day garrison life, for that matter) than the old-school military PT of "jog 3 miles slow, then do some stretches and calisthenics." You'll notice lots of LEOs and FFs on here for the same reasons.
Yep and that’s one of the primary reasons why I joined. CrossFit definitely helped to and still keeps me well prepared for the physical rigors and stresses that I face as a firefighter. Outside of my regular FF training, CF helps to expose areas of general weakness and lets me know where and how to tweak those areas for better overall performance. Having full body strength for carrying, dragging and lifting both equipment and or people through all kinds of hell is very crucial for those of us in the emergency services. Also, because of its strong origin in military and law enforcement training, that is the other attraction that drew me in because if they can see it as a worthwhile program then I figured it is something worth looking into since I already had and still have great respect for the men and women who serve in our military and in law enforcement. But aside from Military, LEO and FF, you will also see a lot of people here with a wide range of other highly physical professional and personal experiences. Martial Arts, Gymnastics, Wrestling, Tri-athletes, Skiers, ect, ect just to name a few.

Last edited by Peter Queen : 10-04-2011 at 09:31 PM.