CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #41
Sean Philips

Profile:
Re: What motivates you to keep going?!?!

I am only 3 weeks into CF and I have to admit my reasons for sticking with it are far shallower than my reasons for starting it. I started it to get healthier. I wanted to live a longer higher quality life and be a good influence on my children.

What keeps me going back is the desire to be able to do the WOD's as prescribed and to be able to keep up with and look like the rest of the people in my classes!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:02 AM   #42
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Six little words.
Just. Show. Up.
Don't. Ever. Quit.

I have only been doing CrossFit for a few weeks (went to some free classes, then fundamentals training, and now actual WODS) and I notice a difference. Using those words, I know I will succeed at it. Will I be the fittest on Earth, strongest in the box, etc.? Probably not. However, I will be in better shape physically AND mentally thanks to CrossFit.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #43
Sheldon Victorine

Profile:

The rush you get before, during and after the wod. The motivation you get from people through the struggles youre going through. The 50 year old dude outdoing you in a specific movement. The many many hot women.... The many many hot women outdoing you in muscle ups....
All in all I want to live a healthier lifestyle, I dont want to be a fat slob when i get old and I just love the community that were all a part of crossfit!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:06 PM   #44
Chu Kim

Profile:

The idea of being able to run, jump and lift more with each passing year. There will come a time when I will plateau completely, and then as I age of course physical performance will start running down. But I am far from that point, and even in the distant future when I hit forty and stuff starts breaking down on me, I will be able to maintain better performance in all the major athletic areas at a higher level than most men, whatever their ages. So that is my ambition.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #45
James A Stevens

Profile:

Okay, i have a small problem. My number one motivation for exercise no longer exists - I am now no longer part of the Army Reserve - work and life commitments just made it too hard to be a civilian and a soldier at the same time and I can't afford life on military pay. This was an incredible difficult decision and a terrible wrench today when I signed the final bit of paper that makes separation official.

Keeping up with the young blokes (and my pride being at stake) was always in my mind when I was working out and pushed me on many times when I would have quit.

So now, how do I motivate, I like the look exercise gives me, I like being fit and being able to do stuff most others my age are surpised I can do (only 47 by the way).

I have never been good at goal setting so a goal like say deadlifting 3 times my bodyweight wouldn't work 'cause it doesn't grab me as important.

All I have left is my weight, I know if I stop exercising I WILL put on weight because I love food and I love to cook.

Any suggestions welcome.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:57 AM   #46
Michael Tygart

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stevens View Post
Keeping up with the young blokes (and my pride being at stake) was always in my mind when I was working out and pushed me on many times when I would have quit.

Any suggestions welcome.
James, are you part of a CF gym? Because if pride and "keeping up" motivates you . . . I'm guessing you can probably find a few cf'ers to compete with at just about any box! Pick a few guys (or gals for that matter) and go for it. Every workout can be a mini-competition even if no one else knows you are competing with them!
Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #47
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Tygart View Post
James, are you part of a CF gym? Because if pride and "keeping up" motivates you . . . I'm guessing you can probably find a few cf'ers to compete with at just about any box! Pick a few guys (or gals for that matter) and go for it. Every workout can be a mini-competition even if no one else knows you are competing with them!
Part of the problem I guess is it wasn't just pride or competition that drives me as part of a combat regiment. The fact that you are expected to perform to your max in life or death situations with your mates pushes to the extremes of combat training.

The reaslisation that if I wasn't fit enough someone I know could suffer or die pushed me a whole lot more than competition ever could, hence my problem.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:00 PM   #48
Aaron Wolfgang

Profile:

First post ever, new to the Dboard.

This clip always gets me pumped.

How bad do you want to succeed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uizlk...eature=related