CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Bryce Horrell

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Mass Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
i would give anything to have this problem... i am jealous of you guys that do. i could easily eat 10,000 calories a day and it wouldn't be a challenge. i'm on the flip side where the challenge is not eating too many a day... anything over about 2500 and i get fat fast. count your blessings all you folks that have to try to gain weight.
hahaha I feel you man. I think both sides of the spectrum have their ups and downs. The one thing that is absolutely terrible about having to eat a lot is the fact that it has the potential to cut out your social life and it can also get costly.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #12
Brian Hyland

Profile:
Re: Mass Question

Bodybuilders are massive because that's the stimulus and fuel/recovery they provide their bodies with. Marathon runners are very not massive because that's the stimulus and fuel/recovery they provide their bodies with.

As Crossfit has aspects of all types of sport included in its programming your body will recover and mold itself to most efficiently react to the stimulus you provide it with. If you do fewer longer endurance metcons and include more heavy lifting chances are your strength and mass will increase to adapt. If you keep a lot of the light fast metcons in there chances are your body's adaptation won't include much overall mass.

All this said, everybody's different. Some will be able to consistently do high intensity, low weight, high rep metcons and keep a larger amount of mass. Others won't be able to. If you're interested in gaining more mass, keep the weights a bit higher, and don't hit the 30-40 minute bodyweight metcons as much. Your body will adapt to the stimuli placed on it, simple as that.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #13
Collin Thompson

Profile:

I think you just need to hear that if you do crossfit-type circuits 2 times a week (less than 12 minutes each) in conjunction with some sort of linear progression strength program, a couple assistance exercises, eat enough (like, a lot) then yes you will gain plenty of mass. (The crossfit-type circuits could be ousted so you can gain more weight, but don't worry - you won't get fat...metcon addiction is for real.)
Old 10-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #14
Chu Kim

Profile:

I think that one very valid question to ask yourself is if you really want to add that mass. I mean, in daily life carrying around that extra weight can be a drag over the long run don't you think? Yes, the benefits of more mass generally means more strength and power, but the cost is stamina, and often times speed as well. In general, it may be better to be on the leaner side, maintaining a healthy weight and well-toned, fit figure, rather than walk around with bulging muscles and 30 extra pounds your body just doesn't need. Unless you are doing it for a sport you are involved in, why lug around that extra baggage? Stay on the light side, if you can. It's healthier in the long run for your body too.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:59 AM   #15
David Hare

Profile:

There's no way guys like Froning, Chan, Orlando, Lipson, Bailey, etc... got into their current shape solely doing CF.com mainsite programming.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #16
Brian Hyland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hare View Post
There's no way guys like Froning, Chan, Orlando, Lipson, Bailey, etc... got into their current shape solely doing CF.com mainsite programming.
Nope, that kind of mass and development takes many years of hard work and heavy weights. If you can keep it you're lucky, but you've gotta try hard to get that big in the first place.

And I'm not saying they're HYYUUUUGE or anything, but they've got a lot of hard earned meat on their bones.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #17
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hyland View Post
Nope, that kind of mass and development takes many years of hard work and heavy weights. If you can keep it you're lucky, but you've gotta try hard to get that big in the first place.

And I'm not saying they're HYYUUUUGE or anything, but they've got a lot of hard earned meat on their bones.
Guys like Orlando so alot of V heavy metcons, short in duration. Couple with strongman training/strongman wod's.

Ricky
Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #18
Ryan Thomas

Profile:

Yeah, I really kinda know the deal with the diet already, as I've been doing isolated muscle group lifting for a few years now.
I'd really just hit a wall and was kinda bored with what I was doing and decided to give Crossfit a try.
Which is what brought me to my question of whether doing Crossfit would help me maintain and keep gaining mass.
But I think I hear what most people are saying: stick to the heavier lifting workouts, don't always follow the mainsite wod (which I haven't really anyway) and less of like the "Run 5k" wods lol
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
anything over about 2500 and i get fat fast.
I find this hard to believe if you are actually doing CrossFit on regular basis. Unless you are eating sugar, grains and dairy.

I'm 5'11" 190 and need over 4,000 calories a day to maintain my weight working out regularly. I eat Paleo + Dairy + some white potatoes and protein shakes.

Fat creation comes from the insulin response, which comes from sugar, highly processed carbs and grains in a persons diet.

Read Wolf's book or learn correct Zone portioning and Zone legal carbs. You will eat more calories of the correct food, be stronger, healthier and leaner.

All this assumes you get enough sleep. With out enough sleep you might be building fat off 2,500 calories but the problem is hormonal not calorie intake.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan McNamar View Post
I find this hard to believe if you are actually doing CrossFit on regular basis. Unless you are eating sugar, grains and dairy.
Even then, I find it hard to believe. 2500 calories isn't much at all for an active male.

Katherine