CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #11
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Fitness for Pre-Teens

He is a 12 year old kid with the hunger to learn. All you have to do is feed him knowledge, make sure he keeps his form safe, and get the hell out of the way.

If you can find a reasonably price coaching situation that would be good. If not get him the Starting Strength DVD and point him towards the CrossFit football website. Teach him the importance of good nutrition.

I wish someone had taken me under their wing when I was his age. I was like him and spent from my sophomore year in high school until age 41 doing low quality globo gym work without much results.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:59 PM   #12
Chu Kim

Profile:

In my opinion I do not think it is the physical fitness issue that adults should be so concerned about in regards to the youth, though that is certainly important. At that age, it should the moral and intellectual development that should be of primary concern for the parents. I realize that this is a fitness forum, and many members here are really into athltecism and working out and all that. But when it comes to raising kids up to be adults, or in this case turning a boy into a young man, the biggest issue must be his moral training. How can you inculcate responsibility, work ethic, honesty, respect and those virtuous traits that lead to the formation of an honorable and principled man, should be the primary concern. Intellectual development should be number 2, and physical fitness should be a distant 3rd.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #13
Heath Shumate

Profile:

Hmmm. Chu I respect ur opinion on this matter but you make seem as though those 3 qualities are totally seperated in an individual. All 3 of those statements can co-exist in my opinion. Just because a young man or woman is an athelete and lifts or plays sports of somekind does not make him or her a social delinquent. Im sure there are cases where some type of lifting, organized sport, gym membership, YMCA or anything alon these lines, have led to a child not being on the streets. Which in turn could lead to drug use at an early age, early parenthood or any number of things kids get into now days. I am with you that kids need to be molded into productive young men and women. But I am a firm believer that if a child is interested in participating in something positive then by all means let them.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Kim View Post
How can you inculcate responsibility, work ethic, honesty, respect and those virtuous traits that lead to the formation of an honorable and principled man, should be the primary concern.
I'm not the first to observe that the discipline of athletics can help develop all of those traits.

What are you asking the kid to be responsible or honest *about?* In what direction is he focusing his work ethic? Those characteristics are important, but they don't exist in isolation.

Katherine
Old 09-24-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
Heath Shumate

Profile:

Im gonna try to be brief but this could go on for days. Lets say theres a job opening. Say an engineering position at an industrial type plant or mill. They are looking for a college grad they can bring in entry level and teach him what they want and hopefully have him for a long time. They have 2 applicants. Both are very smart, morally sound, excellent applicants by all means. One of them was involved in atheletics and the other was not. Im not saying that all kids not involved in atheletics are not gonna be fit. The other applicant was not involved and since entering college has put on a substantial amount of weight. While the athelete continued to stay in decent shape and not gain as much weight. Mind you both applicants are solid while one has chosen to take care of themselves physically and the other not. Fast forward to the criteria of the job. This particular place of business has equipment that has weight limit ratings. Rules and regs set forth by OSHA not by them. If you exceed the weight limit you are not allowed on this equipment.(Manlifts and things of such nature) As sad as it is, and as good a resume as the applicant has. If they are over the weight limit as described in the criteria, then they are scratched off the list. Sorry, we reviewed your resume and were very pleased, however we do have rules and regs that prohibit us from hiring individuals that weigh over XX amount. You are no longer in consideration for this position. Man thats a bummer. To tell a person they lost a job because they were over the weight limit. It wouldnt of mattered if they were bodybuilder with 8% body fat. If your over then your over. Done deal! I have seen it firsthand. So, what does all this mean. Yes I agree that we need to be teaching our children good traits. But the state of fitness our youths are in is sad. I dont intend for this to stir up a huge debate. But we have good people missing out on good jobs everyday because of their physical condition. Sad
Old 09-26-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
Forrest Kirk

Profile:

Working with kids can be tough. Constant and consistent form corrections have to be made. Their neural pathways aren't as developed and their emotions come into play more often. The key, from my own experience, are very slow progressions.

Here's a couple videos of my 12 year old son and 8 year old daughter having fun in the garage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7aWX5w2Qb8 (WFS)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd6dMBamfsg&NR=1 (WFS)
Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
Kevin Simons

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest Kirk View Post
Great video! Love the work ethic and intensity of this young man. Do him a favor though, and get that medicine ball out of there for his squats. He needs to go way deeper. The med ball works great to gauge depth if you are 5'10" but it only does a disservice for smaller athletes. Also, the kid is leaning way too far back on the C2. Try having him row without straps and the problem will probably fix itself. I only say this because I want the kid to get the most out of his training. I love the enthusiasm. Great job getting the kid started so young .
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube
Old 09-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #18
Forrest Kirk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Simons View Post
Great video! Love the work ethic and intensity of this young man. Do him a favor though, and get that medicine ball out of there for his squats. He needs to go way deeper. The med ball works great to gauge depth if you are 5'10" but it only does a disservice for smaller athletes. Also, the kid is leaning way too far back on the C2. Try having him row without straps and the problem will probably fix itself. I only say this because I want the kid to get the most out of his training. I love the enthusiasm. Great job getting the kid started so young .

Thanks, Kevin.

I couldn't agree more. He's definitely not getting enough depth in the back squats and actually complained to me about it.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Yeah,

Not sure this is a good thing but...

Never saw myself having kids, lifestyle choice is just WAY to crazy.

However, seeing guys training their kids at such a young age, I am starting to think I might try and talk the Mrs into having a few, just so I can have an opportunity to create my own PT monsters in a decade or two.

Not the best motivation for becoming a Father, I know...mind you I have seen worse.