CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Summer Smith

Profile:
Just arrived in Germany...

So I just got to Germany a few days ago...still in processing so I haven't dine too much. I went to a few clubs this past weekend. Which was pretty awesome. A lot different than the states, at least NC where I'm from. So I guess that's not saying much lol. I'm hoping to go to Oktoberfest this weekend or next but from where I stay I hear it's really expensive and I didn't bring a car with me. Anyone else been to Germany and have any suggestions on some MUST visit places? Or any tips period? I've already learned that some like Americans but there are also some that don't but fir the most part it's been good. Any suggestions or advice would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Steven Ngo

Profile:
Re: Just arrived in Germany...

you're in germany during oktoberfest and there's a possibility you might not go because of money?

NUTS!

dig into your expenses a bit and take advantage of the time you're there. You can always make money back. (if you already plan on going back some other time with the intent of going to oktoberfest then forget what i just wrote.)
Old 09-22-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
Summer Smith

Profile:

Lol well it ends next weekend so if I go it will be next weekend. I'm stationed here for two years but I really want to go and honestly I will probably end up going. From what I hear their beer is nothing like beer in the states so other than travel expenses it may be a fairly cheap weekend lol but the dollar to euro sucks. I was just wondering of any other places to visit. I guess I don't know where to start and was seeing if anyone has been and knows of some awesome places to visit.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Chu Kim

Profile:

Are you in the army?
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM   #5
Ash Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Smith View Post
From what I hear their beer is nothing like beer in the states
Oh, boy...I didn't want to touch that one, but here goes:

The average POPULAR beer in Germany is a lot better than the average popular beer in the States. Thanks to Prohibition, our country never recovered most of the unique, regional breweries that we once had. Germany never had this problem, so almost every town and region has its own unique brews. However (IMHO), Germany is bound by both an unspoken--and legal--tradition that seriously restricts how creative they get with their beer. If you want breadth and variety of high-quality beers, Belgium and the US are hard to beat. But definitely go to Oktoberfest or at least find a nearby Biergarten. It's all about the experience, not beer snobbery!
Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
Summer Smith

Profile:

I know it's not all about the beer. I'm not a big fan of dark beer anyways. I just want to go mainly because it's like legendary....along with see other places and trave. Hints my original post asking for suggestions lol.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Be sure to visit every cultural and historical site you can while there. Drink their beer, eat local food, walk the streets. Later in life, you don't want to be kicking yourself for all the things you didn't do...