CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 11:26 PM   #11
David Zhang

Profile:
Re: My (Pseudo) Paleo Diet - Thoughts and Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
It sounds to me like you aren't very clear on why you're going Paleo in the first place, so you don't have a good guidepost to keep you on track.

Katherine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Dokken View Post
Sorry to bust thy bubble, but this is in no way shape or form "paleo".

[urlhttp://*************/wp/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/thePaleoSolution_QuickStart.pdf[/url]

Best of luck my friend.

Man, I'm really I glad I posted my question on here. Thank you all for your feedback. I'm definitely going to read more on this.

Meghan & Katherine, you are right. I have not done enough research and my diet goals are not clearly defined. This is a key issue.

Kyle, the R. Wolf quickstart.pdf was great. I listened to the podcast question. That guy asking the question sounded a little like me. But thankfully, I don't think I was bad as that guy though. Chocolates for dessert and a beer every meal. hahaha Also, I'm clear that I have been doing a very pseudo-paleo and don't blame results on it at all. That was a great resource, I will read more as everyone has suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Leigh Ramos View Post
How much, on average, do you pay per week for your convenience food? (I'm assuming your burritos and fried chicken are fast food and that you aren't making them from scratch).
I'm probably paying about about $5 per fast food per meal. That happens about maybe once or twice a week, so $10 at most per week. The other cheat meal (or two) per week I have, such as mexican food and such are at family get together meals, which aren't part of the convenience food category I guess. Family meals I usually don't have to shell out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Tortilla=what Joe said.

Also, you're 5'9" and 144lbs--why are you trying to lose weight? Since you say you have a gut, you're probably what's referred to as "skinny-fat," meaning you need to add lean mass by eating more good food and lifting heavy.
I actually typoed on the tortilla thing, I meant to say I know its _un_healthy.

Your guess is correct Eric. I my goal is to increase muscle and decrease the fat, not to lose weight. I had my % body fat measured a couple of months ago. I was at 11%. I'm actually not fat per se. I should clarify the gut comment. My gut is actually okay by most standards. I mean the six pack is visable. But I want the bottom 2 to be visible as well (making it 8 visible :P ). It is covered by 1/2 an inch to an inch of fat. So it's not visible. I know, this sounds ridiculous but I want to get rid of that layer of fat. :P

You're right about needing to eat more good food and lift heavier. I'll try to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
How often do you cheat? Also, why do you not like animal fat?
I have about 3 or 4 cheat meals a week. Typically all on weekends when I go out with family. As for animal fat, I'm concerned about consuming too much saturated fat and transfat. Is my thinking on this off also?
Old 12-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #12
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Saturated fat isn't bad for you, and trans fats only exist in measurable amounts in hydrogenated oils and processed foods. Eat unprocessed stuff and you're ok.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #13
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Zhang View Post
I have about 3 or 4 cheat meals a week. Typically all on weekends when I go out with family. As for animal fat, I'm concerned about consuming too much saturated fat and transfat. Is my thinking on this off also?
That's a fair amount of cheat meals, between that and the cereal it's no wonder you cannot lean out to what you want. Do what Eric said and you will get there, although being that lean can hinder performance, so decide what you want.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #14
Steven Chicoine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Zhang View Post
guacamole (I wonder how bad guacamole is)
... If it's just made from Avocado and salsa then it's the best thing on your junk food list, and pretty much dead on paleo friendly.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
David Zhang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Do what Eric said and you will get there, although being that lean can hinder performance, so decide what you want.
Why will being that lean hinder performance? It wouldn't increase performance?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Performance at what? If you want to run marathons or get on stage for a bodybuilding show, you'll want to minimize bodyfat, probably down to the 4-6% range. If you want to do something that requires power, strength, and endurance, you'll probably perform better at 10-12%. Look at some of the top CFers--Orlando, Khalipa, Lipson, etc--they're all monsters, but none are shredded like a Mens Fitness cover model. Being too lean is detrimental to performance, recovery, and overall well-being.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:28 AM   #17
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

5'9 and 144 lbs. I am hyperventilating here.

Please, enlighten me. What are your lifts like?
Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Sean Dunston

Profile:

dude.
You want to be bigger and stronger?
LIFT HEAVY AND EAT MORE, period.

I know it is hard for us "older" guys.
At 36 years old, I started CF in early 2007 at 193# (I'm only 5'7") and a bf% near 25%. After working out diligently (4-5 times per week) and getting on a strict 16 block Zone diet I got down to 157# in about a year. My body fat was right in the 9-11% range then. I followed the Zone at about 80%+ Paleo from September 2007 - September 2010.

Now, I'm 40, and I wanted to go up from the 165# class (powerlifting) to 181#. I lift heavy at least 2x per week, and have pretty much ditched the Zone. I eat as much as I want, I still stay close to Paleo in my regular meal foods, but I have added 1/2 gallon of milk per day to my diet.

It has been slow going but I have added about 1# per week, on average, over the past 3+ weeks. My lifts are through the roof (for a little, old guy!).

Again - if you want to be bigger and stronger, EAT MORE AND LIFT HEAVY.

Don't worry about those "bottom 2 abs." Once you get bigger and stronger, you can lean out a little bit... if that is still a concern of yours.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #19
Brian Strump

Profile:

You've gotten alot of good feedback on here so far.

Just because you eat some guacamole each week, and a chicken breast does not mean it's paleo, or even "pseudo-paleo".
Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 AM   #20
David Zhang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
5'9 and 144 lbs. I am hyperventilating here.

Please, enlighten me. What are your lifts like?
Hyperventilating? haha why? Very skinny? I am asian though, so in general our bone density is not as high as westerners.

haha, I'm embarrassed to post my results and was hoping someone wouldn't ask that. lol

These are my most recent 1 rep maxes from 1 or 2 weeks ago.

Back Squat 195 lbs. (205 (F))
Bench Press 155 lbs.
Deadlift 305 lbs. (315 (F))
Power Clean 145 (155 (F))

I did the fight gone bad WOD a week ago, score 225.