CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-07-2010, 06:36 AM   #1
David Zhang

Profile:
My (Pseudo) Paleo Diet - Thoughts and Suggestions?

Hi,

So here is my typical daily food and vitamin intake:

Vitamins: Opti-men multi-vitamin + Vitamin B supplement each day

Breakfast:
small bowl of cereal +almond milk 30 min before working out (I know it's not paleo, but I feel much better working out after eating cereal than eating eggs or something heavy)

After workout / lunch:
- protein shake (3 scoops, rather than the 2 recommended - i recover much better using 3 scoops of whey)
- Salmon + 1 cucumber

Dinner - Chicken breast or steak (grilled on george foreman grill. I can't cook worth crap. lol)

Late snack / 4th meal: 4 eggs (everyday)

Healthy snacks in between: apples / bananas / persimmons / beef jerky (non-gmo)

Un-healthy (?) food I eat sometimes instead of my standard meals:
- chili-cheese dogs from weinerchnitzel's (I LOVE them!!) (how bad are they for me?) I've cut down from 4 a week to 2 a week now
- Taco cabana Chicken burritos
- Enchiladas with cheese sauce
- Fried Chicken
- chips and salsa / guacamole (I wonder how bad guacamole is)

My overall weight has been hovering at 144 lbs. and hasn't really changed. Before crossfit I was at 165. A few months ago I got my weight down to 136, but I I wanted to gain muscle. So it's been at 144 or so for about 3 months now.

Overall, I'm working out at a crossfit gym 5 to 6 times a week. I'm getting stronger and a bit faster. I'm almost able to do muscle-ups now. But in terms of increasing muscle size, I haven't seen a great deal of gain. I was thinking I was getting enough intake of protein, but maybe it's not enough?

I doubt I've decrease my % of body fat, as I think I have too many cheat meals a week. Maybe 3 or 4 cheat meals a week of the stuff I mentioned above.

I still have a tiny belly. -- it's really hard to get rid of that!!! But I guess I don't have the right to say anything as I am having too many cheat meals.

So how bad are the chili-cheese dogs? On one paleo diet list, they say hot dogs are bad for you. And suggested is limit of 6 eggs a week only. Is 4 eggs a day too much? I thought it was okay?

Man, paleo diet is hard. I'm hungry all the time if I don't eat carbs. One person suggested my fat intake may not be enough. But I have to stay on healthy fats and stay away from animal fat. The only healthy fats I eat is from the fish I eat. However, it may not be enough. I don't eat nuts and seeds as I don't like them very much. Maybe I must eat them to get enough fat? I'm not eating enough vegetables either probably.

So for muscle gain what else do I need to do?

Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited by David Zhang : 12-07-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 06:42 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: My (Pseudo) Paleo Diet - Thoughts and Suggestions?

Eat more carbs, calories and vegetables.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #3
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Eat more good food, lift something heavy, and cut out all the heavily processed crap food. Are you really trying to rationalize Weinerschitzel hot dogs and Taco Cabana burritos? Don't say Paleo is hard or not working, you're not even making a reasonable effort to do it based on what you've got there.

Eggs are ok unless you have allergies or autoimmune issues from them, but if you're going to eat a lot of them then pastured or omega-3 eggs are preferred. Guacamole is fine--it's just avocados, cilantro, and maybe a little salt. There's nothing wrong with animal fat, and if you don't like nuts add in some more avocado, coconut products, olive oil, etc.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:46 AM   #4
David Zhang

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Are you really trying to rationalize Weinerschitzel hot dogs and Taco Cabana burritos? Don't say Paleo is hard or not working, you're not even making a reasonable effort to do it based on what you've got there.
I never said paleo wasn't working. In fact, if you noticed from my post I've lost 20 lbs doing what I've been doing.

I'm just being honest. Sticking to the paleo diet has been difficult for me. I'm not managing the hunger factor very well. Four meals a day and I'm still often hungry. The cost in terms of food purchases is also a major factor for me.

Secondly, I'm not rationalizing anything. I'm clear that the stuff I mentioned wasn't very healthy. That is why I listed under the 'unhealthy' things I've been eating. I'm not a nutrition expert so I am curious as to how unhealthy hot dogs are (and why). I'm also curious about burritos are as well, since it is mainly chicken with a little sauce and the tortilla part which I know it's healthy.

Having said that, I do appreciate the constructive parts of your feedback. Thank you.

Last edited by David Zhang : 12-07-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #5
Meghan Reid

Profile:

How much, on average, do you pay per week for your convenience food? (I'm assuming your burritos and fried chicken are fast food and that you aren't making them from scratch).

Yeah, eating right isn't convenient all the time. That's why the vast majority of people are unhealthy. And you're not hungry all the time because you don't eat carbs, you're hungry all the time because you're not eating enough of the other good things.

Have you ever actually completely eliminated dairy and gluten from your diet for longer than a couple of days to see how you feel? Note: gluten and carbs are two different things. I eat quite a lot of carbs, but none of them are wheat based. There's usually a period of time where you feel hungry and crappy (a couple of days) after dropping processed carbs, just because your body is used to the constant influx of sugar. I wouldn't expect you to ever get past that, especially because you're eating a bowl of cereal every morning still.

I'm cranky right now, and I don't want to be mean to you, so I'm going to shamelessly jack Melissa Byer's words from Whole 9. WFS. Good site, by the way, worth some of your time to read.

Quote:
This is for the people who have tried this before, but who “slipped” or “fell off the wagon” or “just HAD to eat (fill in food here) because of this (fill in event here)”. This is for you.

It is not hard. Don’t you dare tell us this is hard. Giving up heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard. You won’t get any coddling, and you won’t get any sympathy for your “struggles”. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE not to complete the program as written. It’s only thirty days, and it’s for the most important cause on earth – the only physical body you will ever have in this lifetime.
Godspeed, friend.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Have you actually read any Paleo book? If so, you would know that the tortilla part of a burrito is the worst part, it has gluten. This gluten, plus the gluten from the cereal you eat before every workout, is the reason why you still have a belly; processed crap = bloating. Have you tried experimenting with other paleo food instead of eggs? If I workout in the morning, or don't have too long between when I eat and workout, I have some fruit and nuts. They are both light, as long as you go easy on the nuts, and provide energy if you cannot workout fasted.

You are not managing your hunger well because you are not eating enough. Eat more good paleo food, especially fat since it's lacking in your diet, and you will feel much better and not feel the need to cheat as much. It is more expensive than eating a grain-based diet, but paleo is much healthier for you. Since going paleo four years ago, I've been sick only once, and it was because my roommate at the time was sick and we were living in a small college dorm. So you spend more on food but save in medical bills and the like.

Concerning hot dogs, they are not good because it is basically a bunch of proccessed meat with other stuff packed in. A simple google search will reveal the questionable things that are put into them. How often do you cheat? Also, why do you not like animal fat?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Zhang View Post
I never said paleo wasn't working. In fact, if you noticed from my post I've lost 20 lbs doing what I've been doing.

I'm just being honest. Sticking to the paleo diet has been difficult for me. I'm not managing the hunger factor very well. Four meals a day and I'm still often hungry. The cost in terms of food purchases is also a major factor for me.

Secondly, I'm not rationalizing anything. I'm clear that the stuff I mentioned wasn't very healthy. That is why I listed under the 'unhealthy' things I've been eating. I'm not a nutrition expert so I am curious as to how unhealthy hot dogs are (and why). I'm also curious about burritos are as well, since it is mainly chicken with a little sauce and the tortilla part which I know it's healthy.

Having said that, I do appreciate the constructive parts of your feedback. Thank you.

Fast food chicken=feedlot, lowest bidder, full of all sorts of additives and chemicals, not raised humanely, etc. Watch Food, Inc. Food quality matters--chicken is not chicken is not chicken.
Sauce is probably some combination of sugar, HFCS, gluten, and insert random chemical cocktail here.
Tortilla=what Joe said.

Also, you're 5'9" and 144lbs--why are you trying to lose weight? Since you say you have a gut, you're probably what's referred to as "skinny-fat," meaning you need to add lean mass by eating more good food and lifting heavy.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Zhang View Post
i'm just being honest. Sticking to the paleo diet has been difficult for me. I'm not managing the hunger factor very well. Four meals a day and I'm still often hungry. The cost in terms of food purchases is also a major factor for me.
If you're often hungry, you should eat more. If you're trying to build muscle, you should eat more. It's that simple.

In particular, more fruit, more vegetables, and more fat. It looks like you're eating protein and not much else, which besides being nutritionally unwise will also drive your cost per calorie through the roof. Learning to cook things other than chicken breast and steak will help with the cost as well.

If you want to eat burritos and cheese enchiladas, fine. I eat Mexican food all the time, too. But they aren't even remotely Paleo. It sounds to me like you aren't very clear on why you're going Paleo in the first place, so you don't have a good guidepost to keep you on track.

Katherine
Old 12-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #9
Kyle Dokken

Profile:

Sorry to bust thy bubble, but this is in no way shape or form "paleo". If you want the results quit making up these painful excuses and start READING. Here are some links to getting started, even better here is a link to Robb Wolfs podcast in which a person has the same exact question that you do! Shock here... Robb Wolfs response to this person? "You have not yet started paleo".

http://*************/2010/11/30/the-...on-episode-56/

http://*************/wp/wp-content/u...QuickStart.pdf

Best of luck my friend.

I guess I can no longer post links to Robb Wolf... The podcast is episode 56 very first question.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Dokken View Post
I guess I can no longer post links to Robb Wolf... The podcast is episode 56 very first question.
Yea, CF really showed him!