CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Justin Wessels

Profile:
Rings question (not one that has already been asked)

Good Afternoon Crossfitters,

I only recently have discovered what Crossfit is all about and it is pretty much what I was doing already. Anyway on to the question:

I have been researching gymnastic rings for some time and I need some help in deciding what to purchase. Now I have read a bunch of reviews on here about the Xtreme and EXF rings and everyone seems to love them. The problem is I was going to just buy the EXF rings pro kit (that comes with the DVD) until I remembered that also want to buy the book Building the Gymnastic Body. When I looked the book up the book I saw that there are DVDís available with the book as well. I know for some people price is not an issue, but for me price is an issue. Which of the following choices would be the wisest:

1 Ė purchase Xtreme rings, book+DVD package ($150) and also purchase Ring Training DVD ($35) for a total of $185 (plus shipping)
2 Ė purchase EXF Ring Pro package ($95) and buy book+DVD combo ($89) for a total of $184
3 Ė Just by rings and book and forget DVDís altogether?

The difference between 1 and 2 obviously would come to a preference between the two ring types but would have to wait longer to save and buy either of those.

Basically I need to know if the DVDís for the Building the Gymnastic Body are worth buying and if the DVD for Ring Training is worth buying. Or should I just buy the Ring Training DVD and the Book and rings since the DVDís for the book are just a rehashing of what is in the book and the Ring Training DVD has in depth ring training exercises?

Sorry if my question is unclear, but there are many options with all those products and I just want to find out if buying all of that stuff is worth the money on my tiny budget.

Thanks for any replies
Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Re: Rings question (not one that has already been asked)

Hi Justin,
The EXF Rings do come with an eBook that covers the basics and will take you up to the muscle-up. If you are looking to just get started, that will probably be enough. After that, if you decide that you need more training resources, you might look into either the book or DVDs. The Building the Gymnastics Body book is very good and covers a lot of gymnastics-oriented stuff, but it's adaptable to fitness. The Ring Strength DVD is more concise and sticks mostly to fitness.
I'm a bit biased, since I'm from ringtraining.com, but I just wanted to share my thoughts.
I hope this helps,
Tyler
www.ringtraining.com (wfs)
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #3
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

The ring training e-book is strictly about ring progressions, and ones only applicable for general fitness. Building the Gymnastics Bodies is a complete gymnastics basic strength program that covers all the fundamentals as well as some pretty advanced stuff that will take years for the average fit person to develop, if at all.

If you want instructions about how to use the rings and develop the basic ring exercises for CrossFit, just get the ebook. If you want to follow/find out more about a complete gymnastics strength program, get the GB book. The DVDs might be nice also, but there is a lot of stuff on the GB forums and youtube links to all videos one probably needs.

I'd probably get the EXF Rings and the GB book if I was starting out again.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

1. Decide which rings you would like to purchase. There are at least half a dozen rings on the market and they are all about the same take-home price unless you make your own. Honestly, if you have the means, buy a set of rings and don't make a set of your own-they never are the same, typically. Most fitness rings straps are much longer than you can easily find at a hardware store.

You mentioned you would have to wait longer to buy either the RingTrainingDVD or BuildingTheGymnasticBody Book+DVD. I would rather you get a set of rings ASAP and start training and then if you take well to it, go buy yourself a book or DVD on it versus waiting however much longer it would take to save up.

Crossfit.com offers the CrossFitJournal which for $25/year gets you a boatload of information on basic gymnastics including a few articles on ring training. You can find most of those gymnastics articles on Drills&Skills.com but the videos of Tucker and Leonid are worth it as well besides the Kelly Starlett mobility stuff even if you don't care about CF barbell or weightlifting or other modalities.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
dale milam

Profile:

Tyler and Blair sum it up well. the main things is deciding which rings you would like the best and start using them. there are differences between the EXF and Xtreme rings. there is an ebook with the EXF. from what i understand from the forum threads since i have not bought them is the Building the Gymnastic Body books are for those that are serious about going the gymnastics route and not the general fitness route. you can later decide and have the money to either get both of Tyler's DVDs or the BTGB books/DVDs.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #6
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

The bulk of people on the GymnasticBodies forum seem to be bodyweight enthusiasts interested in fitness, not necessarily gymnasts or coaches. We have a few high level gymnasts on there and a few coaches but they are few and far between.

One point is the Gymnastic Bodies system is a lot more thorough than if you went to most adult gymnastic classes and wanted to train there mainly to get stronger. There is a better chance that the adult class coaches could teach you more skills (if they even have a coach familiar with the men's events) but most adult classes do not focus on conditioning due to time and interest (classes of only 75-120 minutes that tend to be involved around fun).

Many of the BW enthusiasts just like the BW route because it means less equipment when they do not have access, space or the budget for equipment or their activity is more BW oriented (parkour, martial arts, wrestling, polevault, acrobatics).

Both RingTraining.com and GymnasticBodies.com have forums to support their products.