CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
John Devine

Profile:
Recurring SI Slip - need advice

I have a recurring SI slip issue. I thought that my CF and SS training had strengthened my back enough since it hadn't happened for a couple of years. I was doing an SS workout when it happened. (I'd been doing strictly SS - nothing else but some MA training) I was doing DL's but I think I actually injured my back while loading the bar. I felt it when I bent/twisted just the wrong way. I'm a 47 YO male with some athletic training but little to no strength training prior to CF. I was 25 when I had my first SI slip.

A couple of questions. What exercises should I be doing and what should I be avoiding? (I also have a tight posterior chain which I have been working on with some stretches.) Should I start back in on SS now that my slip seems to be better or should I do a different program to strengthen my back.

This has been very frustrating. All advice is welcome.

-jd
Old 11-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Recurring SI Slip - need advice

Gotta eliminate the tight muscles because that's what are twisting.

You can go to a chiro or maybe a PT to put it back in place. Conversely I found some self mobilization stuff you can do that may work which I listed in this thread:

wfs
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=4761

Obviously, once it's back in you should take everything slowly when ramping back up.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Gotta eliminate the tight muscles because that's what are twisting.

You can go to a chiro or maybe a PT to put it back in place. Conversely I found some self mobilization stuff you can do that may work which I listed in this thread:

wfs
http://www.performancemenu.com/forum...ead.php?t=4761

Obviously, once it's back in you should take everything slowly when ramping back up.
Great link Steven. Thank you for replying. I have been getting chiro care for it and it is much better. I will start looking through those exercises and come up with a stretching - strengthening program and then start in with light weights and go from there.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #4
Mike Mallory

Profile:

If you're not willing to do a ridiculous amount of research, I'd just hire someone to help you who knows what they're doing.

The SI joint is really comnplicated, and if it's recurring with the regular types of treatments, you will probably have to look somewhere else in your body to find the answer.

When I get someone with a tricky SI joint, I get the atlas adjusted by a NUCCA chiropractor. If the muscles and joints down below are compensating for a problem up above, you'll never fix the problem with standard mobilizations.

If you want exercises to think about, I would look towards the posterior oblique and deep longitudinal system. Those are responsible for putting a force closure on the SI joint, which helps control shear.

posterior oblique--> Glute-->thoracolumbar fascia-->Lat

Deep longitudinal--> hamstring-->sacrotuberous ligament-->thoracolumbar fascia-->contralaterl erector

One legged exercises are going to coordinate the SI joint much better than the standard crossfit exercises. Crossfit stuff is meant more for global strength rather than fine coordination.

Soooo.,.,.......Lunges, one arm stuff, swiss ball, and anything that puts a torque through the spine. You need twisting motion, so you may need to branch out for a little while.

If you're not stable, then almost any exercise will be bad. Anything that brings you towards stability and balance is going to be good.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:49 PM   #5
John Devine

Profile:

Thanks Mike. I read the NUCCA info you posted in this thread (wfs) with interest. I could be the poster child (or middle-age guy in my case) for atlas subluxation leading to pelvis tilt leading to SI slip, one leg slightly shorter, etc...etc. I read that description and said "That's me!" There's a NUCCA practitioner right next door in Newport Beach. I guess I should explore that option too.

Thanks again for you response.