CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Collin Thompson

Profile:
Re: In college - thoughts on crossfit as a career?

Sean - Thank you for that, that's really helpful. I guess that example shows that Cf is capable of providing some sort of a foundation of a career, with or without the box. But for me personally, I would need to have the box. It's just one of those things
Old 11-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #12
John Devine

Profile:

Colin, you really have a great opportunity. By all assessments, CF is in it's infancy so you are in a great place. Now you really need to define what you mean by "is Crossfit a viable career option?"

If you mean could you open and successfully run a CF affiliate gym? That is up to you much more so than the methodology you employ in your training be it CF or some other methodology. I'm sure there are affiliates in the area. Look them up and talk to the owners and trainers.

If you mean CrossFit Inc., you should read the article in the CFJ Article The Business of CrossFit. It will give you a sense of where CF may be headed.

The final area, which I think is already an emerging growth area for CF, is working as an athletic trainer for a team and using CF with their athletes. Please look up CFJ articles by Josh Everett. He's the S&C Coach at UC Riverside. Do they have sports teams at OSU? (jk) Get to know all the coaches, trainers and athletes you can.

Good luck with your education.
Old 11-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Haha John - yeah actually, we do have a sports team, as UCLA found out this weekend lol but really, thank you for those 3 references I'll be sure to look them up later tonight post workout/study. The athletic training program here sends the students to work with the Beaver athletic teams and with another university, but that would not be until my third year. As far as looking up affiliates go, I have no way of getting anywhere (no car). There is a Crossfit Corvallis, but from what I've found out it's primarily an on-call/no gym type situation - nothing wrong with that at all, just not what I'm after. Thank you again for the tips and wishes of luck.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #14
Becca Borawski

Profile:

If you want to run an affiliate some day then I would do things like this --
  • Read lots and lots of CF journal articles, especially the early years
  • Go to a CF Level 1 Cert
  • Get yourself to as many affiliates as you can to see what they do (get on a bus or ride your bike)
  • Remember that running an affiliate is a BUSINESS - read business books, read business blogs, study entrepreneurs, etc. It really doesn't matter if you're the best coach in the world if you can't communicate with people or balance your books.

CrossFit is my full time career and has been for a few years. In my previous life I was a music editor for film & television and have an MFA in Film Production. Is it a viable career option? For sure. I make more money doing this than I did as a crew member on "Scrubs." More importantly, this is more fun and rewarding. But, I think, for someone getting into it, what's most important is learning what you DON'T know so you can have a plan of attack.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 11-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #15
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Hey Becca thanks a lot. Btw, I LOVE SCRUBS. That and Burn Notice were literally the only shows I watched back at home (TV isn't really my thing ) Anyhow, I'm planning on subscribing to the journal by week's end - you get all past issues too, right? And I'm really hoping to get a level 1 Cert over the summer or if one comes up and I happen to have time. Question on the cert: how, well I'm not sure how to put this but, how "well-respected" is a Crossfit certification? And as far as business education goes, can you or anyone else name a few super-important/highly-recommended classes for becoming an affiliate off the top of your head(s)? I plan on talking to my adviser in the coming weeks about it too, so it's not too crucial. Thanks again Becca
Old 11-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #16
Omar Omar

Profile:

You get access to every single issue from the journal after subscribing. Im not sure about this 100% but I think a level 1 is mandatory before you can use the name "CrossFit" and be actually affiliated. I am personally trying to get the endurance cert, gymnastics, and oly-lifting, but for me its more about learning and possibly working part-time teaching people at any box around the area rather than owning my own box or making this a full time career.

I think that Oly-lifting, and nutrition cert's are the important ones for you while you are trying to live off CrossFit simply because you can’t really teach someone to snatch unless you know what you’re talking about. Similarly with nutrition. Most of the people at your gym are trying to live longer, get fitter, or are after performance at "sports"

Another important thing for you is learning the programming. There are no certs that teach that yet, you cannot be successful without it; people depend on you to become fit. Talk to affiliates, check out OPT's programming, he got 4 athletes in the top 16 at the games. He is doing something that works. Look at other affiliates, and then see how their athletes do at competition. Experiment with your self etc… Open source fitness is simply doing what works, ditching the rest; you can not stop learning that !!!

There is apparently a decline in quality of training at CrossFit gyms and if people are convinced that the affiliate on the other side of the city gives better results they will go there...

Also, I know your very passionate about CrossFit and its mythology BUT you should probably focus on "open source fitness" while seeking knowledge at making people fit. Learn every sport from the people that specialize in that sport, and then focus on CrossFit certs. There are so many things out there, the fitness industry is that place where you NEVER stop learning.

Your gonna have an awesome box one day, im telling you
Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 AM   #17
Collin Thompson

Profile:

Hey Omar, thanks so much, that really means a lot to me and that is an excellent idea - looking at the game's top competitors and getting an idea of what top-knotch programming is. I'm planning to get certified at some point for sure, but most likely will happen after college education. I need to practice some portion control even when it comes to knowledge, or else I'll wind up stressed out and
Old 11-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #18
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Omar View Post

Another important thing for you is learning the programming. There are no certs that teach that yet, you cannot be successful without it; people depend on you to become fit. Talk to affiliates, check out OPT's programming, he got 4 athletes in the top 16 at the games. He is doing something that works. Look at other affiliates, and then see how their athletes do at competition. Experiment with your self etc… Open source fitness is simply doing what works, ditching the rest; you can not stop learning that !!!

There is apparently a decline in quality of training at CrossFit gyms and if people are convinced that the affiliate on the other side of the city gives better results they will go there...
I'd beg to differ with your statement regarding programming. Programming is covered at length in the Level 1 Cert, and people who attend Level 1 Certs are directed to read the CFJ articles (and view the supplemental videos that go along with the written articles) regarding programming prior to attending the Cert.

Whether individual affiliates do "good" programming or not is totally subjective and is largely based on the owner's idea of what his/her members need. What may be good for you, may not be good for the members at XYZ affiliate. Who are we to say it is not effective (or "good") for them?

I really think the second paragraph I've quoted above takes great liberties with the truth, and I hope you can substantiate such a claim with something more than mere anecdotal evidence.

I have worked out at a number of affiliates across the nation (in places like California, Tennessee, New York, Maryland, etc.) and I have been happy with all of the trainers (and members) I have met, as well as the WODs that I have done at all of those affiliates.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
Shane Upchurch

Profile:

Collin, if I were in your position I would get Level 1 certified ASAP. Next I would try and get a group of people together at your campus that are interested in CrossFit. Work on your training skills with them. Remember, just because you are good at doing something does not mean you are good at teaching it, so you need practice.

Like it was said earlier, take some business management/accounting/marketing classes for the business side.

Can it be a career? Absolutely, anything that you are truly passionate for can be a career. I quit my corporate job to work for an affiliate and I could not be happier. Do I make 6 figures? Not hardly, but I am learning the ins and outs of the business so I can open my own soon, and there's no price on a client telling you thanks for changing their lives for the better.

Good luck, let us know how it works out for you.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:13 PM   #20
Omar Omar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I'd beg to differ with your statement regarding programming. Programming is covered at length in the Level 1 Cert, and people who attend Level 1 Certs are directed to read the CFJ articles (and view the supplemental videos that go along with the written articles) regarding programming prior to attending the Cert.

Whether individual affiliates do "good" programming or not is totally subjective and is largely based on the owner's idea of what his/her members need. What may be good for you, may not be good for the members at XYZ affiliate. Who are we to say it is not effective (or "good") for them?

I really think the second paragraph I've quoted above takes great liberties with the truth, and I hope you can substantiate such a claim with something more than mere anecdotal evidence.
I don’t really believe or know if there is any decline in quality for a fact, I am not claiming that there is.

Im just saying that *according to some people* there is apparently a decline in quality. I don’t really know or believe there is.

But overall, I think if you learn every sport in depth and from the POV of those specialized in it you will be able to fit these sports together appropriately so that you get results at all of them. Learn programming from specialized guys then learn CrossFit’s approach of putting them together (at the cert) experiment, see what works and keep learning forever…