CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #1
Kevin Steel

Profile:
Media Issues- Sony Handycam

I just bought a new camcorder to start making videos. The software that came with the camera does not allow much for editing, like joining clips or adding music. Any suggestions on what I should do or what program I should get?
Old 10-30-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Andrew Thompson

Profile:
Re: Media Issues- Sony Handycam

Do you have a Mac or PC? Macs come with iMovie which is decent for basic editing. I'd like to look into Final Cut but it is very expensive, however I have heard it is very good.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:41 AM   #3
Kevin Steel

Profile:

I have a pc, which actually has windows movie maker. Will that work?
Old 10-31-2009, 04:07 AM   #4
Wil Vicinus

Profile:

Windows movie maker works, but when it compiles everything the file size is huge. It's good to use in the short term but if you have any sort of storage minimums on your website or space issues on your PC it will become a problem more quickly.
we use imovie on our mac and the file sizes are much smaller with better video quality.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Ganine Vanalst

Profile:

What's your budget? I have Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 which I like. But if you are looking to spend less money I remember hearing good things about Sony Vegas when I was researching video editing software a few years back.

You say your camcorder is Sony, what software came with it? Hopefully not Vegas If it is Vegas, let's just pretend I didn't post this reply. But if it isn't, perhaps it's upgradeable to Vegas for less money since they are both Sony products.

Vegas Movie Studio 9 is decently priced and you can download a trial to see if it meets your needs (W/F/S):

Vegas Movie Studio 9
Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #6
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Steel View Post
I just bought a new camcorder to start making videos. The software that came with the camera does not allow much for editing, like joining clips or adding music. Any suggestions on what I should do or what program I should get?
Kevin, check out Adobe Premiere Elements (wfs). I haven't used it as I have FCP but I do use PhotoShop Elements. If this is at all comparable, it's a great deal at $80 and gives you a professional tool at a consumer price.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Cody Limbaugh

Profile:

The Roxio video suite can usually be purchaced online for $50-$75. I have had alot of fun with it and you can save edited video in alot of various formats. I've made DVD brocures with custom menus and a bunch of how-to videos. Splicing music and nice transitions is really easy once you know your way around the softeware.

I'm sure it's not "professional" grade but for the cost it does alot! Slow motion, fast motion, fades, text, music from Mp3's, DVD burning, MPEG-4 (for iPhone/you-tube) wmv., mov. etc...

I would recomend a PC with lots of fast memory though. I have 8 gigs (2x4) and about a 1T hard drive. I use it on Windows XP Media.

good luck!
Cody Limbaugh- CrossFit eXcellence, Lake Oswego OR http://crossfitexcellence.com (w/f safe) 'Excellence is not perfectionism-nobody is perfect,but every one of us can strive to live a life of excellence.'-Mike Woods
Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I like VirtualDub but I haven't tried using it to insert other sound besides joining clips. What I have it save as depends on the codecs I have installed.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:34 PM   #9
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

I've made several videos on Pinnacle Studio 11 and 12, but the next editing software I'm planning on getting is the Cyberlink Power Director Ultra ($100). These programs have tons of features and if you make it a hobby, you can put out some great professional-looking vids without spending professional-looking dough.

A PC with lots of RAM and and a huge hard drive or external hard drive is definitely a necessity especially if you're planning on making HD videos. For smaller videos or outputting to something like youtube, you could get away with pretty much any fairly new PC.

Tim