CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #11
John Devine

Profile:
Re: Paleo: the best diet bar none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
There are flaws in every diet, the Okinawans eat too much salt for example, so the question is do the diets inherant flaws conflict with your goals?

If you're leading a fairly sedentary life for example you'll do fine on Cordains Paleo Diet as the lack of starchy carbohydrates won't affect you. If however you're quite physically active you'll soon run into problems due to depleted glycogen stores caused by the lack of starchy carbs. Cordain could easily have addressed this point by stating that physically active types should eat more starchy carbs than couch potatoes but then he wouldn't have been able to profit from sales of the badly written mess that is Paleo Diet for Athletes would he?

Alternatives to Cordains Paleo Diet -

* Buy A Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean or similar, follow the advice therein substituting paleo foods for the grains, dairy and legumes they advise you to eat.

* Buy The Okinawa Program by Bradley J. Willcox, increase the portion sizes (it's a calorie restricted diet) to suit your needs omitting the rice and soy if you want to make it a little more paleo.

* Take your copy of The Paleo Diet by Loren Cordain, find where it says to avoid starchy cabs and write in "unless you are physically active". You might want to underline it for emphasis too.
Daryl, +1 on the nice post.

Here's where I have questions...Robb generally recommends the opposite of what you're saying. He says to see additional improvement in performance or weight loss you need to decrease carbs and increase fat. He has lots of evidence, both scientific and anecdotal, to back up his approach. I don't see how you can both be right. (I also don't see how you could conclusively prove either without a study that put the same subjects through both protocols and determined which approach had better success.)
Old 10-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #12
Moran Bentzur

Profile:

John, I don't think robb would disagree that for 100% performance in glycolytic heavy workouts you have to consume enough carbs to keep you glycogen stores full. He does advocate keeping carbs low for general health and fat loss.
I also don't think Daryll is advocating a very high carb intake either, but he is here so he can say exactly what he stands for.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
Brian Bedell

Profile:

+1, right, I think RWolf would agree that even for longer metcons you need more carbs; especially when you are already lean.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #14
John Harris

Profile:

The Paleo Diet For Athletes by Cordain and Friel.

It's written for endurance athletes but it can be adapted to any sport. It, not surprisingly, advocates adding more starchy carbohydrates.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Jay,

It just dawned on me that if every things goes well, I will be in quantico during meatfest.
What dates are you going to be there?
Old 10-12-2009, 06:13 PM   #16
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Do you guys have an exact date for Meatfest already? I didn't realize it was in stone so far out.
Sorry Bo, if we told ya, then we'd have to feed you a high carb diet for a few months. We're working on a June/July date, but as soon as we know, you'll know.

J
Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #17
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Sorry Bo, if we told ya, then we'd have to feed you a high carb diet for a few months. We're working on a June/July date, but as soon as we know, you'll know.

J
Haha. Man I might miss meatfest again, I plan on "studying" abroad in Italy from May 17 to June 25, so hopefully July works out.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #18
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Jay, I should know in a few months whether or not I'll be in quantico or not and about when I'll be there. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:20 AM   #19
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Carbs don't have to be starchy to refuel glycogen stores. Robb Wolf, Cordain, and others recommend post-WOD sweet potatoes or yams which do provide plenty of carbs and starch, but if you eat an apple, banana, or handful of berries a few times a day in addition to all the other vegetables you're eating you'll be fine. Fruits contain starch when they're not ripe, but most of the starch converts to glucose, fructose, and other sugars as they ripen. So there's some starch there, just not a lot.

Your liver can still produce some glycogen in the absence of carb intake, and unless you're doing 2-a-days on your workouts the 24 hours or so between WODs is enough time to refuel for the next day.
What you say is correct, fruit and berries are good sources of carbs but your carbohydrate requirements vary depending on your activity level. As I said before if you're leading a sedentary life you'll do fine following Cordains low carb Paleo Diet however a 70kg athlete might have carbohydrate requirements as high as 420-700g/d (6-10g/kg/d) and there's no way they're going to get anywhere near that amount without eating considerable amounts of starchy carbs daily.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:22 AM   #20
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
Holy crap, Darryl...

This is the best (read: fair, most unbiased and non-argumentative) post I've seen you write. Thanks for this It made my Monday
I thought all my posts were fair, unbiased and non-argumentative......