CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #571
Paul Casimir

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

On day 6 here. I added dairy back in on day 4.

So far, I'm down 4 lbs without trying to lose weight. I haven't been keeping track of calories but I have been full and never hungry the whole time.

Recovery times during and after Sunday and Monday's WODs were far far better than any other WOD in my 11 weeks of CrossFit. Before starting paleo, needing rest during metcons was an extremely weak point for me.

Sunday I didn't need to rest at all, and I felt so good afterward, I think I could have pushed harder. Monday I was never winded, grip wore out first, which hasn't happened before. I am hitting strength barriers now rather than stamina barriers.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #572
Samantha Aurelio

Profile:

I added Thai Brand red curry paste. If I had spinach I would have mixed that in there, too. It would be a great combo. Last time I made it I also added tomatoes (great with avocado).

I used:
only enough coconut oil to cover the pan (not a fan of the excess oil taste)
2 eggs (scrambled after adding them to the heated pan)
>1 TBLSPN red curry paste
Pepper/Sea salt
1/2 an avocado

..it's pretty simple. I was half asleep and starving so I whipped it up! Hah

Pic = here (wfs)
Old 10-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #573
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Mmmm, that looks tasty!

Paul, why did you add back in the dairy? I am missing milk in my tea and cheese, but I guess I am adapting. I changed the type of tea I drink. Avocado makes a fine substitute for cheese as well. Well, you couldn't make Paleo pizza with it. Or maybe you could.

I am on Day 6. Still feel fantastic mentally. A lot of that has to do with no alcohol. The first few days I was pretty wiped out after my workouts (did not feel stronger at all during), but I think I'm adjusting now. Really sleeping well. Last night I took my dogs' collars off. Mistake. I woke up with less than 10 minutes left to get ready for CrossFit and didn't walk the dogs before I left. I'll save that for weekends.
Old 10-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #574
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Mahoney View Post
Mmmm, that looks tasty!

Paul, why did you add back in the dairy? I am missing milk in my tea and cheese, but I guess I am adapting. I changed the type of tea I drink. Avocado makes a fine substitute for cheese as well. Well, you couldn't make Paleo pizza with it. Or maybe you could.

I am on Day 6. Still feel fantastic mentally. A lot of that has to do with no alcohol. The first few days I was pretty wiped out after my workouts (did not feel stronger at all during), but I think I'm adjusting now. Really sleeping well. Last night I took my dogs' collars off. Mistake. I woke up with less than 10 minutes left to get ready for CrossFit and didn't walk the dogs before I left. I'll save that for weekends.
The no alcohol thing is really helping me as well. I'm getting much better sleep (and more of it, since I'm not staying up until all hours), and waking up a heck of a lot more refreshed.

I'm down 6 pounds in 6 days without counting calories. Yesterday I ate *a lot* of food. I was starving after my workout last night so for dinner I ate 7 oz of salmon, an ounce of almonds browned in 1 tbsp butter, an ounce of macadamias, a pound of asparagus, and a sweet potato with butter (the only non-paleo food I allow is butter). Filled me up right and was very satisfying. Salmon + toasted almonds is the tastiest dinner ever.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #575
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Diane, I added dairy back because I had a vision of a big glass of whole milk dancing in my head, and I live in Wisconsin.

I have seen a huge difference in how I feel dropping grains, but no difference dropping dairy, or adding dairy back. Having dairy makes everything much easier to manage for me, like a large calorie intake. I'd like to gain weight at the moment, not lose. Maybe I'll get back to no dairy, but don't have a reason to at the moment.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:35 PM   #576
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

ahhhh, I see. I don't like milk (except in my tea) so dreaming of a glass of it would be a bit of a nightmare!

The dressing is OK, but prepared mustard contains vinegar. That stuff is everywhere. I guess I could use mustard powder. Or maybe I will quit worrying about vinegar.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 PM   #577
John Devine

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Casimir View Post
Diane, I added dairy back because I had a vision of a big glass of whole milk dancing in my head, and I live in Wisconsin.

I have seen a huge difference in how I feel dropping grains, but no difference dropping dairy, or adding dairy back. Having dairy makes everything much easier to manage for me, like a large calorie intake. I'd like to gain weight at the moment, not lose. Maybe I'll get back to no dairy, but don't have a reason to at the moment.
I attended Robb Wolf's nutritional cert a couple of weekends ago. A 'hybrid' version of paleo focused on those that need to gain strength/mass is paleo+milk. I think you'll see this being promoted for CFFB in particular.

Two other thoughts - 4 days is not enough to determine what effect dairy didn't or didn't have on you and once you've gained the desired weight, you should try to go 30 days without to see if anything changes.

FWIW, I credit no dairy with my stopping snoring. I think it caused a lot of mucus/congestion in me.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #578
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Thanks for the info John. I should have added that I have gone gluten-free in the past (years ago) and am fairly well informed on the problems with grains and grain digestion.

My main goal with paleo was to regain the gluten-free benefits, and secondly to see if it would help my metcon performance, and so far I am seeing both. It has been too short of a time to say for sure, but I am happy where I am at the moment.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:29 PM   #579
Jonathan Riddle

Profile:

First day of my 30day paleo challenge. Had 4 eggs, bacon, apple, and orange for bfast. Lunch was turkey meat, grapes, and blue berries. Dinner was chicken and salad with some strawberries. Also had a paleo kit for a snack. I'm going to have to look up some paleo recipes. I can't think of what to have for tomorrow much less for 29 more days. I don't want to get stuck in the rut of having the same thing again and again...
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #580
Stephen Lewis Romer

Profile:

I am about 3 weeks past my 30 days. My first 30 days were without any cheats but have since added cheese, cream for coffee and butter back for cooking. Besides those three items and wine once a week, I haven't eaten any other cheats yet. I thinking maybe I should cut out the cream and cheese for the next 30 days because I am starting to eat too much of those items.

So today is day one of once again eating Paleo w/o cheese and cream.

To all the newbies welcome and get ready to feel better than you believe possible.

Paleo Rocks