CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-31-2008, 07:49 PM   #11
Anthony Militello

Profile:
Re: Power Clean vs. Squat Clean

while on the term "functional"...

Does anyone know a good exercise to help me develop my backward stroke while wiping my a$$? I feel that that is a very underestimated movement and there is much improvement to be made on my end...Any advice?
Old 10-31-2008, 07:58 PM   #12
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:

I see how lift a heavy weight off the floor into a power clean catch is "explosive." And so training PC's would develop "explosiveness." OK, but aggressively pulling oneself (FAST) underneath a bar that is only as high as a squat clean catch...how is that not "explosive?" Seems to me, both lifts would develop explosiveness, i.e. the ability to exert maximal force at maximal speed. Or is explosiveness a term that only applies to hip extension, in this case upward movement? Just my view, feel free to correct me.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
Jared Ashley

Profile:

clean vs. power clean

pullup vs. kipping pullup

strict press vs. push-press vs. jerk

The list is longer, but I don't feel like thinking about it more. All are good movements. All have advantages and disadvantages. For general purposes, you should train all of them... for specific goals, each could be less useful. Train accordingly.
Old 11-01-2008, 03:58 AM   #14
David Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
clean vs. power clean

pullup vs. kipping pullup

strict press vs. push-press vs. jerk

The list is longer, but I don't feel like thinking about it more. All are good movements. All have advantages and disadvantages. For general purposes, you should train all of them... for specific goals, each could be less useful. Train accordingly.
Word...
Old 11-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #15
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Do you know where the statement regarding the first part of your response is? I really think it's the other way around, but I've been searching for about 15 minutes and can't remember where he said it.
The statement is made on one of the videos ... maybe where Coach Burgener is coaching Sage. Right now, I don't have the time to locate it - but, I will sometime today or tommorow.

As to which one is better - power clean vs. squat clean - who cares? Why is the sky blue? What makes the quadratic equation work?

Just do both!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #16
Wade Smith

Profile:

Clean = Missed Power Clean
Snatch = Missed Power Snatch

It doesn't make any sense physiologically, given the weights involved, the other way around. In other words, if you don't have the strength to lift/shrug the bar up to the rack (or overhead, in the case of the snatch) position, you must pull your body down as low as necessary to catch it thereby utilizing your lower body strength to help with the "miss".
Old 11-01-2008, 06:30 AM   #17
Tim Luby

Profile:

Squat cleans can be done with the most amount of weight and require a combination of explosiveness and absolute strength

Hang power cleans require the most explosiveness of any clean, but have to be done with less weight.

Power cleans are right in the middle. They can be done with pretty heavy weight and require a great deal of explosiveness.

So, all the different cleans have their own place. However, I believe the power clean is the most versatile and practical of the 3 for use in GPP.

That's not to say you shouldn't do all 3 cause you definitely should.

Last edited by Tim Luby : 11-01-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:55 AM   #18
Andy Gann

Profile:

Jeff - you're right.

I had thought that an imbalance in the pull or possibly fear of going under the bar would cause the lifter to catch the bar high. I was wrong. Here's a reply from an email I sent to coach b.

Quote:
sure andrew. a clean is a MISSED POWER CLEAN. here is the deal......the pull is exactly the same. you jump the bar thru a range of motion creating momentum on the barebell....when the bar becomes weightless you pull yourself under the bar, but you meet the bar at the highest point.....and ride it down. there will be a time the weight becomes too heavy to meet it in a power position. this now becomes a clean. a missed power clean if you will.

hope this helps.

coach b
Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #19
Jeff Hendrix

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Jeff - you're right.

I had thought that an imbalance in the pull or possibly fear of going under the bar would cause the lifter to catch the bar high. I was wrong. Here's a reply from an email I sent to coach b.
Thanks for sending him that email.

On a side note, I wish Coach B lived in Alabama. He seems like such a tremendous guy, I would love to be coached by him.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:22 AM   #20
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
On a side note, I wish Coach B lived in Alabama. He seems like such a tremendous guy, I would love to be coached by him.
I hear ya - would be great to train with him. On the same note, there IS an OLY certified coach in chattanooga that trains for a reasonable price.