CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-22-2008, 07:20 PM   #61
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:
Re: I See Old People

Nancy,

Thanks, that avatar is a reminder to me that I WILL definitely get myself a muscle-up one day. And that form isn't everything, lol.

I'll bet your BF % is a pleasant surprise. CF has sure changed the way I think about fat-burning. For the longest time, I had always heard that burning fat was "like burning wood, in that it requires the presence of oxygen." So the conventional wisdom was that you had to be "able to talk" while doing cardio, otherwise you were in so much oxygen debt that you were no longer burning fat, just burning carbs or, God forbid, amino acids from catabolizing your hard-earned muscle tissue. So I ran long and slow, with the occasional speed days, no more than once a week. But with the metcon-type CF WOD's, I'm always way past being able to talk. So, if it's true that I'm not burning much fat during those workouts, then I figure I must be burning fat during the rest of the day at a greater rate than if I hadn't exercised. Which is cool, because the intensity of these workouts is totally exhilarating. And now I'm a more muscular string bean than I ever was, lol. When I think of all the years I kept my speed work to a minimum, so that I could burn "more fat", it makes me want to bang my head on a wall. But, the good thing is, I finally found a place to go to get the real deal concerning the latest in exercise science. This community is truly amazing.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:09 AM   #62
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Pitluck View Post
I'll bet your BF % is a pleasant surprise.
And the results are.....drum-roll...... 26.5% bf. That makes me 73.5% Fat Free.

They weighed me, measured lung capacity, did caliper fat test (which came to 25% bf), and then you go into the dunk tank, and then they do all their fancy computations.

I was actually not surprised by the results. I'm leaner than I was 2 years ago, but still have visible body fat, so I knew it couldn't be too low. And I guarantee that the fat I've lost, has all been during the past almost 3 months of CF.
Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM   #63
Dave Miltz

Profile:

Hi everyone. It's been fun to read your posts. I'm 57 years old and have Crossfitted for about 2.5 years. Was in football and wrestling in school, but got sadly out of shape into my mid-thirtys. Then started triathlon training and racing (was never a good enough runner to actually be in the hunt but had a lot of fun anyway), also got back into the weight room for the typical bodybuilding workouts (I didn't know better, lol) Over the years I seriously plateaued. Finally one fall I decided I was tired of all the weight workouts I'd been doing and began to do all body weight moves. This was different for a while but began to get repetitive. That Spring I found the Crossfit webpage surfing around. I knew immediatly that this is what I'd been looking for. Since then it has been steady improvement and I do sometimes run with the big dogs. I know that I'll never put up the weight I could've when younger but I have a CFT 740 and know that I'll bust that. I now have as many pullups as I did in school - 22 and I'm confident that I'll beat that too. By the way, my wife, 48, couldn't do a pullup when she started, now she has 15! Enough bragging.. the point I want to make is that if you check your ego and scale appropriately, you can't help but to improve with Crossfit regardless of age. I'll also take this opportunity to say to Coach Glassman for his insight and inspiration.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #64
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Woohoooooo!! Good news!

I was looking at the paperwork from my body fat test, and I noticed that they had written in the wrong weight for me. They wrote 67 kg, and I'm only 57 kg (126 lbs). I called the office to tell them and have them recalculate my numbers.

My bf is actually 24.8% (not 26.5).

Yea me!
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #65
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:

Way to go, Nancy! Always pays to double-check. But I must confess to being a bit confused.

Seems to me, if they measured 49.25 kg of LBM, then they would think you were 73.5% LBM if they thought you were 67 kg. (49.25/67 = 0.735). Which would imply 26.5% BF. Ok, but..you are only 57 kg. So, since 49.25 kg is 86.4% of 57 kg, I would think that should mean that you have only 13.6% BF. So what am I missing?

Last edited by Geoff Pitluck : 10-23-2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Total ineptitude at using "smilies"
Old 10-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #66
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Way to go, Nancy! Always pays to double-check. But I must confess to being a bit confused.

Seems to me, if they measured 49.25 kg of LBM, then they would think you were 73.5% LBM if they thought you were 67 kg. (49.25/67 = 0.735). Which would imply 26.5% BF. Ok, but..you are only 57 kg. So, since 49.25 kg is 86.4% of 57 kg, I would think that should mean that you have only 13.6% BF. So what am I missing?
What you're missing is, that they wrote down my weight incorrectly. They wrote it down as 67kg, which then had me at 26.5 bf, and fat/lean weights like you said.

When they corrected my weight to 57 kg, that means I'm at 24.8% bf, with 31 lbs fat and 95 lbs lbm.

I think you just combined the wrong info from my 1st post, with the corrected bf% from the second post. My fault, as I didn't post those corrected calculations.

Last edited by Nancy Cohen : 10-23-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #67
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:

I didn't miss that they wrote down your weight incorrectly. Nor did I combine anything with your corrected bf %. I don't actually understand how they arrived at it. It's been many years since I've been weighed underwater. I thought they first determined one's lean body weight in the water, then divide that by your out-of-the-water bodyweight. But, no matter, most importantly I'm happy your correct bf % is lower than first reported, resulting in the pleasant surprise, thanks to your diligence.

After a long day of calculations and checking other people's calculations, I made the mistake of trying to do more of the same tonight when, in fact, I think my brain is too fried to attempt it. Sorry if I sounded nitpicky, or if I offended. Cheers, Geoff
Old 10-23-2008, 10:11 PM   #68
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Greetings All!

I'd forgotten the thread had moved and am glad I checked in here! Welcome to everyone!

I've been doing CF for a little over 6 weeks. I'll be 58 in Dec., and find CF to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm a retired LEO and do not remember working as hard at PT in the LEO academy as I have at CF. Needless to say, I am hooked and am well to being in the best shape of my life as an "old guy."

BTW Nancy, even greater thread! I also love your statement of being "75% Fat Free!" Awesome!
Old 10-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #69
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
I didn't miss that they wrote down your weight incorrectly. Nor did I combine anything with your corrected bf %. I don't actually understand how they arrived at it. It's been many years since I've been weighed underwater. I thought they first determined one's lean body weight in the water, then divide that by your out-of-the-water bodyweight. But, no matter, most importantly I'm happy your correct bf % is lower than first reported, resulting in the pleasant surprise, thanks to your diligence.

After a long day of calculations and checking other people's calculations, I made the mistake of trying to do more of the same tonight when, in fact, I think my brain is too fried to attempt it. Sorry if I sounded nitpicky, or if I offended. Cheers, Geoff
Hey Geoff, no worries, no offense!

I'm not sure how they actually do it all. They measure your lung capacity first, and then your residual volume after you exhale all the air, so that is also something taken into consideration. All these numbers are entered into this big form, and they do their calculation. They do some calculation with your underweight and dry weight to get your body density.

I'm sure that it was finally calculated correctly, because they also check you with calipers, and my bf according to the calipers, was exactly 25%. And last time I did caliper testing, about 2 1/2 years ago, I was 28 or 29%, and I'm leaner than I was then, but not super drastically different, so it does seem right that I'm 24.8%.

If I were 13% bf, I'd be bragging a whole lot more!

So, I'm 57kg, with 14kg fat, and 43.18kg lbm. That should calculate properly.

Last edited by Nancy Cohen : 10-24-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #70
Terry Carey

Profile:

Nancy,
Kudos on the loss of BF! For your height and age you are very healthy! Keep up the good work.

So who around here did the CF total?

I did one midweek-first time

Squat- 165
shoudler press-75
DL-185

Total- 425

T