CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #51
Pat Quigley

Profile:
Re: I See Old People

good to hear about all of you making gains early on and avoiding, as best as can be had, making comparisons to more experienced crossfitters. I have not started yet. I've been looking at the little videos, talking to a few trainers familiar with the concepts, and weighing my own entry to crossfitness. Have done years of competitive and noncompetitive athletics, have the scars and surgeries to prove it, and some real limitations based on prior injuries to make me cautious about leaping into the maelstrom of physical intensity. Perhaps, I'll go over the local affiliate in Chandler AZ and get a few 1:1 sessions. Funny that the thread says "old people". Technically, gerontologists don't label one as old till age 60. This would be the low end of what is called: young old. I am 63.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #52
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Quigley View Post
good to hear about all of you making gains early on and avoiding, as best as can be had, making comparisons to more experienced crossfitters. I have not started yet. I've been looking at the little videos, talking to a few trainers familiar with the concepts, and weighing my own entry to crossfitness. Have done years of competitive and noncompetitive athletics, have the scars and surgeries to prove it, and some real limitations based on prior injuries to make me cautious about leaping into the maelstrom of physical intensity. Perhaps, I'll go over the local affiliate in Chandler AZ and get a few 1:1 sessions. Funny that the thread says "old people". Technically, gerontologists don't label one as old till age 60. This would be the low end of what is called: young old. I am 63.
Welcome! Great idea to go to your affiliate to get started. I'm sure they can advice you on how to best stay injury free as you start the program.

Oh, and the "old" label is just for drama!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #53
Delita Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Quigley View Post
Pat I'm 58 and was never an athlete, in horrible condition when I started. Still in horrible condition compared to *fit* but sooooooooooo much better than I used to be and getting to where I can see getting a life! LOL I lurked around for a while before starting, and also had a couple sessions at an affiliate with the owner - extremely helpful. In a crazy sort of way this is more fun than I ever imagined having - if you can say that about something you dread as you go... Great to *meet* you! Delita
Old 10-20-2008, 08:26 AM   #54
Danny McCabe

Profile:

Hey guys and gals! I'm thrilled and lucky that I found this thread. I'm soon turning 56 and I'm in horrible shape. A bit of backgruound. I've always like running but don't have the build for it being 6'0" and 225. I should weigh 195 or so which is not a runner's build.

Upper body strength? Zero...maybe 10 pushups and as many situps. Pullups? I'm dreaming! Si'd like to continue to run 3 times a week and do a CF type of workout on 3 other days.

I tried a couple of Brand X workouts and even those were etremely difficult. So in short I'm looking for a blend of running and CF. I've been inspired by the things people our age have done here and can still do. Any help, ideas or suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2008, 09:31 AM   #55
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Danny, check out Crossfitendurance.com for a blend of running and wods.
Old 10-20-2008, 12:45 PM   #56
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Danny,

Don't be discouraged!

Go back to the brand-x site, and be sure that you look at the scaled down versions of the workouts. And, scale down even more from there. There's no shame in it. You do what you can do, and you will slowly build up your strength.

Some people even suggest that just doing the CF warm-up is a great way to start, even before jumping into doing any workouts. Go to the CF home page, and click on "exercises & demos." Look at the video called "warmup demo, Greg Amundsen." It's 2nd to the bottom of the section called "miscellaneous demos and videos." If you can't do some of the stuff, just scale it down, or substitute something that you can do.

In my warm up, I do some squats, push ups, lunges, and sit ups, and dynamic stretching moves. Try jumping jacks, etc., to start moving around!
Old 10-20-2008, 02:09 PM   #57
Michael Jones

Profile:

Hi everyone. I'm Mike. I'm just a few months shy of 40. I don't feel old in spirit, but occasionally my body reminds me that I can't do the things I used to do. And all the twenty somethings now refer to me as "sir" - which really makes me feel old.

I have worked out in the local globo doing the traditional bodybuilding lifts for a few years now, but I was looking for more. Something to increase my overall fitness level. In truth, other than jogging once or twice a week, I had totally neglected my lower body, and I have no real stamina any more.

Today I joined Rogue Fitness (affiliate) in Toledo, OH and did my first "Elements" class. 6 rounds tabata squats, kettlebell swings and pushups. It sucked. I felt so lame. I can't wait for the next class!

If you are in the Toledo are and are curious, definitely give John the owner a call.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:07 PM   #58
Rick Sinclair

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
We have a ton of "older" clients. The ones that have been with us a while put new "younger" folks to shame. Actually a selling point (and a point that scares some away) is when they come in for their first workout and get smoked by these "older" folks. Yeah, over time youngins have the advantage, but as an older crossfitter you will be far ahead of anyone else in your age group, and far ahead of most folks 30 years younger.
I have been CrossFitting for a little over a year now. The results have been very surprising for me. I am now lifting more than I ever even thought of trying as a younger person (Squat 300#, Dead Lift 405#) and can hold my own in MetCon activities (Filthy Fifty in 26:38). For my work in the fire service I have found relief from nagging injuries and more serious back problems from proper techniques and increased volume and weight. Besides the fact that there is no such thing as boredom in workouts compared to many other programs. I think the use it or lose concept holds very true. I know that many of those coming into CrossFit can be intimidated by the numbers of plates and volume work combined with the grunting and groaning going on around them. This is often overcome by the quality of the instructor who can help us scale appropriately and set our pride aside when the younger folks are finishing ahead of us. The camaraderie of our workout partners can help us get over our pride or intimidation by their encouragement and the fact that scaling keeps the work output of any individual at a level that is relative and comparable no matter the level of fitness. Group workouts are just plain fun! The classes I attend off duty and the workouts on duty involve individuals with a wide range of age and ability yet we can all participate. -Rick Sinclair M/53/175#/5'9"
Old 10-21-2008, 08:46 AM   #59
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:

Great thread! Lots of inspiration and heart here. (Not to mention understatement and civility, both of which come with maturity...lol)
I keep meaning to post on these "older" threads, so I guess it'll be today. I just turned 56 and have been doing CF on and off since Fall '05. Mostly "on" for the past year or so and I have never felt better! I have been into fitness since turning 18. I got into yoga and eating vegetarian as a way to clean up my sixties lifestyle. Got into running after reading Kenneth Cooper's "new" book, "Aerobics." Eventually weighed 145, at 6'3". Switched to bodybuilding after getting hooked on Joe Weider's Muscle Builder magazine. Like this ectomorph was going to look like Arnold and Lou Ferrigno...I did those workouts religiously (without the steroids...oops) and just maintained a continuous state of overtraining for years. ("but I'm working out a few hours a day..why can't I gain weight??"). Got back into running, this time trained for and ran a marathon. Back to 145#. I finally decided to lift weights again, this time eating peanut butter, ice cream, milk, pizza and drinking plenty of beer for a year and, lo and behold, made it to 210. Also increased my waist size to a 38. whoops..Got back into running and then again into lifting, continued to rotate, always wondering how to be lean without being a string bean. I eventually bought a kettlebell and heard about CF on Dragon Door's site. Wow..I have never felt this good. Never have I been this strong. And my running isn't too bad, either, considering I had toe surgery last year. Check this out, my typical 10k was right around 6 min/mile, my half marathon a shade under 7 min/mile, and my marathon pace was 9:10/mile. Every time my bodyfat was checked, usually underwater, it was 9%. Now fast forward to age 56, doing CF with minimal running, only when rx'd on WOD's, and my bodyfat is now 8.4%! A globogym guy measured it electronically. I didn't expect it to be lower than when I was a runner. Anyway this is already too long, so I'll sign out. My mother, who lived to be 93, always told me age was a question of "mind over matter." Then she'd say, "If you don't mind, it don't matter!" Cheers, all!!
Old 10-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #60
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Pitluck View Post
always wondering how to be lean without being a string bean.
Hi Geoff!

First, gotta say that I adore your avatar!

I'm having my body fat tested tomorrow (underwater). Last time I had it done with calipers was 2 years ago, and I was working out at the gym (pre-CF), and it came out pretty darn high....28 or 29%. I hope it's lower this time. I definitely have more muscles, but I still have noticeable body fat. The catch is, that I'm almost 5'8" and I only weigh 126. So, like you said...I'd like to be more lean, but don't want to be an anorexic looking string bean.