CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-20-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
Dan Donche

Profile:
Re: Heart Rate Recovery

Yeah, I'm thinking of just using it to gauge progress from an all-out effort for a certain amount of time and then compare it to previous results. That's about the only way I think I'll use it. For progress.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #12
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:

Dan - Sounds like a great way to measure your CV progress ..<"from an all-out effort for a certain amount of time"> I agree HRR is key.

Christian - I'm impressed. You defined that function very clearly. But you're probably right; who among us laymen really has the time to design a truly air-tight study applicable to large groups of athletes? I figure most of us do pretty well with the ever-adapting, n=1 approach. Still, I admire your thought process on that. BTW, I checked out your pittcoaching.com site. Very cool concept!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

This is a really interesting thread, guys. So my question is, since I'm older, does recovery take longer (I'm 57.8 years)? I've only been doing Cf for 6 weeks and was pretty de-conditioned before that. Timed my recovery from 148 to 118 as 3:30 after 12:00 min on an elliptical trainer at level 10.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #14
Brian Lau

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen R. Lampl View Post
This is a really interesting thread, guys. So my question is, since I'm older, does recovery take longer (I'm 57.8 years)? I've only been doing Cf for 6 weeks and was pretty de-conditioned before that. Timed my recovery from 148 to 118 as 3:30 after 12:00 min on an elliptical trainer at level 10.

Thanks.
The amount of HRR (typically defined as the reduction from maximal heart rate in 1 minute) decreases with age, which is expected since maximal heart rate decreases with age. However, it seems from this figure (from Darr et al., 1988) that the time it takes for your heart rate to recover to a short-term steady-state is not markedly different with age (young ~ 25yo and old ~ 55yo in that figure). I'm not sure whether the time it takes to recover to your resting heart rate changes with age.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 AM   #15
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Lau View Post
The amount of HRR (typically defined as the reduction from maximal heart rate in 1 minute) decreases with age, which is expected since maximal heart rate decreases with age. However, it seems from this figure (from Darr et al., 1988) that the time it takes for your heart rate to recover to a short-term steady-state is not markedly different with age (young ~ 25yo and old ~ 55yo in that figure). I'm not sure whether the time it takes to recover to your resting heart rate changes with age.
Very interesting and timely discussion. I'm currently training for a 2k row in January. My program (from C2 UK) proscribes longer intervals called "intense aerobic" up to about 15 minutes long. The rest interval is determined by the time it takes for the heart rate to return to resting rate x 2, so in my case 100BPM. It takes 5-6 minutes to do so. We noticed during yesterday's scaled WOD (burpees/PU's) how quickly our HR's fell compared to the aerobic work on the rower. Now, I know this is all perception, but it may be interesting to strap on an HR monitor and keep records.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #16
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Quote:

Thanks.
Steven...I read your log regularly. Your workouts are also pretty epic, and it would be interesting to know if the 12 min. on the ellip was closer to the beginning of your WO or near the end. This would certainly effect the recovery time too (my guess.)
Old 10-22-2008, 02:54 PM   #17
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
Steven...I read your log regularly. Your workouts are also pretty epic, and it would be interesting to know if the 12 min. on the ellip was closer to the beginning of your WO or near the end. This would certainly effect the recovery time too (my guess.)
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply! The 12:00 on the elliptical was actually prior to doing my WOD for the day, but part of my warm-up cardio. I'm trying to increase my ability to get through the "sucky", cardio-intensive WOs (well......I guess in a way, they're all cardio intensive), like thrusters, or those others with gross body / large muscle involvement. I run out of breath a good deal of the time before I run out of the ability to perform the exercise.

I consistently am getting my HR way up there, but I'd like to see it come down faster. I was just curious about age specificity.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:21 PM   #18
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Kevin,

Thanks for the reply! The 12:00 on the elliptical was actually prior to doing my WOD for the day, but part of my warm-up cardio. I'm trying to increase my ability to get through the "sucky", cardio-intensive WOs (well......I guess in a way, they're all cardio intensive), like thrusters, or those others with gross body / large muscle involvement. I run out of breath a good deal of the time before I run out of the ability to perform the exercise.

I consistently am getting my HR way up there, but I'd like to see it come down faster. I was just curious about age specificity.
Yeah, me too. I'm 52, but I'm really surprised to see how high my HR goes i.e. 210 on a bike and 208 on the rower. From what I've read, that 220 minus age stuff is a meaningless formula. How high is yours getting?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:27 PM   #19
Stephen R. Lampl

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
Yeah, me too. I'm 52, but I'm really surprised to see how high my HR goes i.e. 210 on a bike and 208 on the rower. From what I've read, that 220 minus age stuff is a meaningless formula. How high is yours getting?
Mine gets up to between 150 and 160 at times, but then it gets hard to breathe and continue at those levels unless I stop and catch my breath. I've only been crossfitting for about 6 weeks and was pretty de-conditioned before that due to injury, recuperation, and then just being lazy.

Just doing regular aerobics now (not CF), it's hard to get my HR over 145 unless I really push.

210 / 208 is pretty high........what's your resting HR?
Old 10-22-2008, 03:29 PM   #20
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Resting usually 48-50 bpm, so I consider 100 bpm full recovery after excercise.