CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-02-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
Joshua Gillum

Profile:
is 14 blocks enough

Hi i'm Joshua and i have been zoning now for a good strait 3 weeks at 14 blocks a day. I am 20 and weigh 165 with about 8% bodyfat. I run 3 to 5 times a week, crossfit a least 5, and a do kajukenbo twice a week. I'm pretty strong, but a bad runner so thats what i am working on. I did 15 rounds yesterday on nate so you can have idea of what i can do. So to the point am i eating enough to support what i'm doing? I feel pretty good, but sometimes i feel really bloated and i'm not very cut with my bodyfat as low as it is. I drink over a gallon of water a day for sure.

Normal day in my zone

5am Breakfast: 4 whole eggs, 1 cup of black beans and 2oz of roasted peanuts.

12 or 1 Lunch: 4oz chicken or tuna, 1 cup kidney beans or 2 apples, and 12 almonds

4 30pm snack: 2oz deli turkey, whole banana or 2 cup grapes, 2 tsp of peanut butter

7 30 supper: 4 oz canned chicken, 1 cup of a bean or veggie medley, 12 almonds

Please rip apart, and correct me on what i am wrong.

Personal goal: I am trying to get leaner, and increase my 2 mile run time. I was powerlifter and football player in high school so i am new to running distance.
Old 10-02-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Derek Franks

Profile:
Re: is 14 blocks enough

164 * .92 = 151

151/7 = 21.5

21.5 * .8 = 17
Old 10-02-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Rachel Izzo

Profile:

More food. I weigh 130 and although I don't really do zone any more I was doing 14 blocks.
And dude get more veggies in there, you only have one meal with veggies.
Old 10-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
Jason D Anderson

Profile:

You don't eat enough I'm with ^ her.

I eat early too but I'm eating at 530am, snack at 8 then at 930am then at 12 then at 330pm then snack 30 mins before workout at 5pm then when I get home then an hour after that hahaha. So the breakdown I eat some food at.

haha. I prob eat too much but you get the idea. 8-10% body fat and 180lbs
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Joshua Gillum

Profile:

Alright thank you to all, and that makes me happy more food for someone who used to weigh 198 is a welcome thing.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

If you're going with a 0.7 activity multiplier (typical for most CrossFitters), you should be around 15 blocks. At 0.8 like Derek said, you should be closer to 17.

If you don't think you're eating enough (read: getting enough calories), you should be doing 2x-5x fat. At 8% body fat, you should be just about ready to increase your fat blocks anyways ... going much lower in body fat probably won't be too healthy. See the small Robb Wolf video on the main page for today.

Your blocks should be derived straight from your lean body mass. How much food you think you need has little to no bearing. If you feel underfed or tired, you are not getting enough calories to support your activity level, which is why we up the fat. There is rarely any need to increase total blocks unless either your lean body mass goes up (as a result of CrossFit or whatever), or in the rare case where 5x+ fat blocks still leaves you fatigued and underperforming.

If you feel hungry, again, check your fat blocks, and then check the food sources that you're eating.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:07 AM   #7
Noah Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Franks View Post
164 * .92 = 151

151/7 = 21.5

21.5 * .8 = 17
sorry to jump in on your thread

Derek can you explain this?

I too am wondering if I'm eating enough blocks, now crossfitting 3 on 1 off (only about a month in), have been zoning pretty strict for about 3 weeks doing 16 blocks a day, around 185-180 or so, trying to lose body fat

doing that calculation puts me at 18.92
Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #8
Laura Kurth

Profile:

well he used a 0.8 multiplier for the OP due to his 'insane' activity levels

personally I don't know how you have survived 3 straight weeks running 3-5x a week, cf 5x a week and martial arts (i assume thats what it is) 2x aweek. Never mind the blocks, that is an awful lot of activity and I'm surprised you haven't burned out already.

That being said, if you continue this activity level I would probably go higher on the multiplier to perhaps 0.9 or 1.0

I suggest more veggies too, but I get the impression you are a student or something due to your high consumption of things that come in a can. But make an effort if you can. Frozen veg are great, usually cheaper and don't go bad.

and I don't see where 2 cups of grapes is equal to a banana, when a cup of grapes is 120 calories as far a I know. So it should probably be 1cup of grapes.
Old 10-03-2008, 06:20 AM   #9
Derek Franks

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah Martin View Post
sorry to jump in on your thread

Derek can you explain this?

I too am wondering if I'm eating enough blocks, now crossfitting 3 on 1 off (only about a month in), have been zoning pretty strict for about 3 weeks doing 16 blocks a day, around 185-180 or so, trying to lose body fat

doing that calculation puts me at 18.92
Whether you're eating enough depends on your bodyfat % and your activity level.

The first calculation is lean body mass. You take your weight and multiply it by one minus your fat%. Then you divide that number by 7, which gets you to a "base" number of blocks. You then need to scale that number down based on activity level. .7 is the standard multiplier for crossfitters. However, since Joshua, is doing a number of things in addition to crossfit, I bumped the activity level up to .8.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #10
Joey Lajoie

Profile:

Go to zonediet.com when you join the site (it's free) there is a ton of useful resources. There is a bodyfat and zone bock calculator that I used. Also there is a forum there dedicated to zoning so all your questions can get answered