CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #1
Rob McBee

Profile:
Hi gang! I was just approved and this is my first post. I've been doing CF for a little over 2 months and can't praise the CF methodology enough. I do have a question regarding CF training in the lateral plane of motion. I haven't seen any training of this type show up in the WOD to the best of my admitedly limited knowledge.

My interest in the topic was sparked by the book "Functional Training for Sports" by M. Boyle. The book points out how almost all sports share the requirement of skill in acceleration, deceleration, and change of direction occuring in the lateral plane the majority of the time. Something like running a marathon would of course be a glaring exeception of a strictly linear plane sport. Between conditioning athletes with linear or lateral protocols, Boyle states that if he had to choose one, he would choose lateral training. Specifically, having athletes work lateral drills like lateral plyometrics, lateral squats, various "stick" and "cut" drills, and primarily the Ultraslide(a slick board you slide side to side on; originally used by speed skaters).

Boyle's reasoning, in addition to how virtually all sports require lateral agility and the strength to implement it, is that lateral training works all the extensor muscles of the lower body as well as hip abductors/adductors. Prevention of the too common ACL knee injury is also stressed as a benefit.

Yes, I'm a new guy and this could be old news or an already debunked theory but I would be really interested to hear any thoughts on the topic. Take care everybody...

Old 04-05-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Rob, I for one am with you, more lateral movement would be a good thing. I have been experimenting with some sideways things with the dragging sled, this seems like a good place to start. For someone who's done plenty of training but little lateral training (many / most of us) I think it's a Very Good Idea to start out real easy. Most of the involved muscles will be quite strong, but there will probably be a few weak areas, and the coordination will probably be poor, which is a formula for injury.
Old 04-05-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Rob-

I saw a lateral plyo-bax setup once (I forgt who makes it) but the boxes are set at ~45* angles and the distance between them can be changed. This seems similar to the slide track but obviously with a plyo element. When i did thaiboxing we did forward bounding but with a heavy side to side emphasis. Nice movement there.

Great fisrt post! Looking forward to more.
Robb
Old 04-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #4
Frank C Ollis

Profile:
The old rope on the ground drills work well for latteral movement. We also do one for grappling where the rope is suspended 18 inches off the ground. Stand on one side, pop and sprawl to the other. Then skitter under, pop up, and repeat. Change sides every 4 times.