CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-17-2007, 12:47 AM   #1
Jonathan Jarvo

Profile:
Feel sad about strength :(

Could some of you not do BW Bench Press, then started crossfit, and now you can? The reason I ask is because I weigh 200lbs, but that is with about 17-18% bf. I know I will lose a lot of that fat if I start crossfit and eat right. I am just wondering if you saw significant Chest, Triceps, and Shoulder strength doing other exercises (enough to move your bench up).

The reason I ask all these questions is because I find myself kind of weak for my size. By looking at Rippetoe's chart, I am at a novice level, although I am a big guy and spent a good year, year and a half at the gym (time off here and there). I am wondering if anyone that felt weak, start crossfit, and can now bench their bodyweight, squat 1 1/2 BW, or dead twice that?

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:53 AM   #2
Jay Hanewinkel

Profile:
Re: Feel sad about strength :(

First of all, if you are weak, then make small adjustments to address that.

Second don't get hung up on the bench press, it isn't important for strength at all.

Last if you aren't consistent, then don't plan on making it anywhere. If you've been strength training for a year- year and a half, you should have no issues with strength if you've been training consistently and correctly.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Jonathan Jarvo

Profile:

My problem is that I travel a lot. I live in China (at the moment) and have easy access to all of Asia. That is why it has not been consistent. It doesn't mean my intentions aren't to get strong. I think a nice healthy dose of SS or Starr's 5x5 will help for the next 3-4 months while I pack that strength on.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Jonathan -

Short answer is yes - I can now bench my bw.

But like the previous poster alluded to, your BP shouldn't define your total fitness level. I also worked out on my own for a few years lifting on the nautilus machine - didn't do me any good.

Enjoy Beijing - do me a favor and go have dinner at the Green T House. Let me know how you like it.

Cheers!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:30 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Dude, all these questions have been answered before if you search.

Basically you're not going to get any sympathy on bench press strength here because it doesn't correlate well with "functional movements." If you need strength work then do strength work either something based on Starting Strength or as ME days in conjunction with CF WODs or before CF WODs.

There is absolutely no reason to complain at all if you're actually doing work because you'll see significant performance increases.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:51 PM   #6
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

Definitely yes. I remember the first day I did bench after about 5 months of CrossFit WODs. I put up body weight 8x easily and felt confused, like the weight was artificially light. I had never been able to do that before.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:39 PM   #7
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

I'm glad to have discovered cf as of one month ago, and letting go on bench press as an important strength indicator. I feel push-ups strengthen my chest, triceps, shoulders, and core. Bench press was hard on my shoulders and back. Dips give my shoulders a nice stretch so when I get back to bench press, I'll be stronger and safer. I've done bench twice with much lower weights, but, with much less weight, and after several sets of pushups. I'll try them again, but, I'm in no hurry. I'd rather be able to move my own body weight up and down.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
John Alston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Jarvo View Post
My problem is that I travel a lot. I live in China (at the moment) and have easy access to all of Asia. That is why it has not been consistent. It doesn't mean my intentions aren't to get strong. I think a nice healthy dose of SS or Starr's 5x5 will help for the next 3-4 months while I pack that strength on.
If you want to focus on strength, SS is a fine choice. WODDDING won't give you as focused benefits as SS will, but SS won't give you the metcon, etc benefits from wodding.

Chose your goal(s), then focus. Then you'll have no excuses.
Old 12-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Jeremy Stecker

Profile:

Its so interesting how several of my friends have come to my garage gym to work out and immediately head for the bench press. They talk about how they want to jump higher, run faster, improve overall fitness for basketball and football.

I say:
"Ok, out of that list you gave me in no situation will you be pressing large amounts of weight with your chest, with the bench holding the weight."

"Let's get your squat right. Lets get your deadlifts strong. Lets do some presses. Those things will help you for they real life things you listed"

So we work on some real lifts and after they want to get on the bench press. lol
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM   #10
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:

I couldn't bench BW when I started crossfit, now I can. One of my goals is to increase my bench so I am working on it specifically.