CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #1
Phil Griffin

Profile:
Squat fail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUtOcKW47o0 (may have dropped an F bomb when I failed, so WFS with the volume down)

Thoughts? This was my first set of 3 sets of 5 reps. I did 5,5,6 at 280 5 days ago, This was my attempt at 285. Felt fine on the first 3 ad my warmup. I'm in the GSLP program. I'm planning on a reset unless someone talks me out of it.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:08 PM   #2
Jack Dougherty

Profile:
Re: Squat fail

Go back down to 250 and work up.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Its my understanding that you ALWAYS reset if you get anything less than 5 on your last set?
Old 11-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #4
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

If you really had an off day--say you were short on sleep, have been superstressed with work the past couple days, then it might be OK to give 285 another shot since you rocked 280. If on the 2nd attempt you are at the same spot, then definitely reset.

If you were on top of your game and got stuck here, then reset.

I noticed your heels come up just a tad when squatting and I'm not sure if it is the hoodie or your form, low back rounds just a tad, as you come up get that back arched.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #5
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

I noticed a slight heel rise, as well.....Otherwise, the movements looked fine. Maybe an off day....

If you get stuck in the hole again, try pulling the bar down like you are trying to snap it in two. I've done it a few times and it works to get me up. Don't ask me how it works, but it works. I read about it somewhere in a powerlifting forum.....

Michael
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #6
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Part of me says damn it I wanted to get to 300 before resetting and another part of me says reset and work on form but in the long run it won't matter which I choose as long as I stay at it. I'm gonna get lots of sleep this weekend and take another run at 285, maybe warm up even more.

This wasn't the first time my first set was hard. I often find my first set to be more difficult than my 2nd, both in strict presses and squats. For squat warmups, I'll row 750m, stretch, then do something like 8-10 at 95, 5 at 135, 4 at 185, 3 at 225, and 2 at 255. I rest 2 min between warmup sets and 3 min between work sets (I keep moving, maybe do some air squats)

Thanks for the tip on the heel, I didn't notice I was doing that. I'll make sure my back stays straight too.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #7
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Dougherty View Post
Go back down to 250 and work up.
Yeah, that's the rule. I only ask because this was on my first set. I usually fail with 5,5,4 or 5,5,3 or something like that, and I did 5,5,6 at 280 on Monday, so I think this might just have been an off day or had a Kenny G song stuck in my head or something.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
Collin Thompson

Profile:

It's not a race you don't need to go so quickly between reps. You could have had that last one if you waited another 5 seconds. For some of my 5 rep sets I'm under the bar for 45 seconds
Old 11-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Your chest collapses. A more vertical torso will help, but that requires a stronger trunk. Or a more flexed trunk if you're just not staying tight.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #10
Phil Griffin

Profile:

Yeah, my torso is definetly too vertical at the bottom, especially on the lift that I failed on. I just watched some cal strength videos, and that was an obvious area where I need improvement. Keeping my torso more vertical will also keep my weight from going forward, which is causing my heels to rise. Thanks for all the tips guys, this forum is awesome.