CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #1
Sean Richard

Profile:
is sweating durning MT climbing endurance or garment based

When I climbed the other day by the top my shirt was all wet in sweat and many other climbers were the same. I was thinking maybe it was the backpack locking the shirt against my skin but seeing others without backs all wet made me wonder is all the sweating from lack of endurance or lack of the right clothes?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
Mitchell Brown

Profile:
Re: is sweating durning MT climbing endurance or garment based

troll post?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

This might be my favorite question of the year so far.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but it could be that your excessive sweating was your body attempting to cool itself.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

How much you sweat depends on the temperature, your individual adaptation to heat, and genetics.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #6
Spencer James

Profile:

I don't know why people are making fun of this -- it's a legit question. Some people sweat way more than others, fitness aside. Some rock climbers go as far as to get surgery to prevent their hands from sweating so excessively because having to constantly rely on chalk is a big disadvantage. And, clothing/gear can make a big difference in how much the sweat clings to you, how long it takes to evaporate from your clothes or backpack. Plus, when you're doing something dangerous like climbing a mountain, these little things are what can ruin your climb, give you hypothermia, etc.. So, to answer the OP's question -- you might get your sweat to evaporate more quickly if you wear something like Under Armour instead of cotton, or use a backpack that has better ventilation...and you might just have a propensity to sweat excessively, in which case just make sure you make an extra effort to stay hydrated.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:27 AM   #7
Jared Ashley

Profile:

under armor, capilene, smartwool, and other materials will affect to a small degree how much you sweat, and to a very large degree how fast that sweat disappears. I hike almost exclusively with an under-armor heatgear compression shirt and synthetic nylon shorts... yeah they'll get damp where the backpack straps are, but it dries in 5 minutes once the pack's off. In a light drizzle, the clothing dries so fast that it never actually gets "wet."

The other part is a lot of people wear too much coverage or too many layers. On rugged terrain, I wear a T-shirt and shorts down to the 40's, adding a long-sleeve shirt (but probably still shorts) into the 20's. You have to be careful with this though because it can put you at risk for hypothermia if you rest more than a minute or two.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
Jason Peacock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
On rugged terrain, I wear a T-shirt and shorts down to the 40's, adding a long-sleeve shirt (but probably still shorts) into the 20's. You have to be careful with this though because it can put you at risk for hypothermia if you rest more than a minute or two.
Ditto here. It's genetics and acclimatization mostly that provides the base 'sweat', then what layers you're wearing (and a backpack counts as a layer )

I sweat almost instantly doing anything. It's worse if it's warm out. Wearing layers can either aggravate or help by managing the sweat - helping to wick it away (or not).

It sounds like the OP heard a myth that I was told in high school - if you're in better shape, you'll sweat less. Not true!

There are some people with conditions (genetic defects?) who have particularly excessive sweating, and there are some surgical procedures to help reduce the problem.

In summary, learn how *you* sweat, then manage that with the appropriate layers. Unfortunately backpacks are not breathable, but some models have air gaps between the back support and main pack which help increase air flow. If you're wearing windproof or waterproof materials (goretex jackets) then you'll sweat even more, make sure it's well ventilated - pit zips, front zip, and cuffs all opened.