CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Georgia Guy

Profile:
Pain durning DUBs

Just got the hang of DUBs last week. YaY me! Since then I have been showing off and doing them everyday. I now have pain in both lower legs about three inches above the ankle on the outside of my legs. Strained soleus or peroneous longus?
Old 06-07-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
Jeff Enge

Profile:
Re: Pain durning DUBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Guy View Post
Just got the hang of DUBs last week. YaY me! Since then I have been showing off and doing them everyday. I now have pain in both lower legs about three inches above the ankle on the outside of my legs. Strained soleus or peroneous longus?
Sounds like shin splints. How would you describe the pain?
Old 06-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Georgia Guy

Profile:

Just a dull pain on the extreme outside lower tib/fib area, about the eight o'clock position. It gets worse when running etc. I know it's some type of overuse issue just curious if any else has or has had this and the time for it to go away. I have been icing it and NSAIDS for a couple of days already.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Ben Leeper

Profile:

Like Jeff said, it sounds like shin splints. When I was learning DU last year, my box had a cement floor and it destroyed my shins and I was a long distance runner before crossfit and never got them. We installed rubber floor recently and it went away. Double unders will do it to you.

What kind of floor are you on most of the time?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
Georgia Guy

Profile:

we have the rubber mats. I plan on just keeping them iced and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Yep, I'm almost certain that's what it is. That kind of thing is actually really common and not a big deal unless you don't do anything for it.

Ice seems to work pretty well, also if you have any kind of compression socks you could wear those during and/or afterward.

Doing things like heel raises and toe raises during warmup will loosen up that area and also strengthen as a preventative measure.

Also, obviously, ease up on the double unders a little. But I'm sure you probably already knew that
Old 06-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #7
Georgia Guy

Profile:

Thanks Jeff
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 AM   #8
Daniel Pope

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Yep, I'm almost certain that's what it is. That kind of thing is actually really common and not a big deal unless you don't do anything for it.

Ice seems to work pretty well, also if you have any kind of compression socks you could wear those during and/or afterward.

Doing things like heel raises and toe raises during warmup will loosen up that area and also strengthen as a preventative measure.

Also, obviously, ease up on the double unders a little. But I'm sure you probably already knew that
Good points, hope it heals! Sometimes in crossfit we get so excited about learning a new exercise and forget the amount of unusual strain we're giving our bodies in the process. Rest and get back to us if it doesn't improve.