CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
Mike Groth

Profile:
I just came across this site yesterday while searching online. And it looks like something that will keep me interested in working out. At the moment Im out of shape and looking to change that. One problem I have with going to the gym is that I would get bored of doing the same routine (chest, arms, back, shoulders, abs/legs).

Im in San Diego and just found out that Crossfit SoCal is right down the street from my house. So I am excited about getting started but Im worried about trying to do too much too fast. I could probably get 1 pullup off but doubt I could do much more. Im also not very familiar with oly lifting. What would be the best way to build up the strength needed to get into CF? I want to get started doing the WODs so Im wondering what would be the best way to build up to doing them as rx'd? Im thinking of doing the 8 session class that teaches the fundamental movements of CF.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I appreciate any advice you guys can offer.

Thanks
Mike

(Message edited by golfermike on April 03, 2007)
Old 04-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Mike:

There are three CF affiliates in San Diego and a couple just outside of town. You have a positive wealth of opportunities. Check 'em all out, get comfortable, and revel in the fact that you have so many CF riches at your disposal!

Welcome aboard. Fasten your seat belt.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Mike,
The best thing you could do is get yourself over to SoCal. CrossFitting under the watchful eye of a trainer is a very different experience.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #4
Mike Groth

Profile:
OK so I just got home from my first workout at SoCal CrossFit. WOW!!! Im going to start off with 8 sessions teaching the basics...going back tomorrow morning for more punishment. After the WU I did 21x15x9 burpies, box jumps, pull ups (had to cheat and step up to the box and pull ups were more like jump ups after ripping a big blister on my hand) but I really thought I was gonna puke! Im really glad I just made it through but my time was 26:10. But after the workout I really feel great. My legs are really shakey but I feel good. Cant wait for tomorrow morning.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:58 PM   #5
Mike Groth

Profile:
I finished my first "real" WOD yesterday. I actually completed all the exercises unlike my 1st WOD where I really had to cheat on pullups and box jumps. I did have to scale the weight down but Im looking forward to getting stronger and faster with the WODs. My trainer at SoCal Crossfit is great and I cant wait for my next workout. Ive never been this excited about working out before and I think this is something I will be sticking with for a very long time. Thanks for all the info so far!!

-Mike