CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-12-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
I have gained almost 20 pounds on prescription medication since the end of February. Yech. My doctor says no to the Zone and low carb diets because it is harmful and interferes with the meds. I can't go off them or switch to another medication.

So I'm being sent to a nutritionist. She's asking me to do a food journal and to log about how much exercise I get a day. The answer is usually less than 30 minutes, right, because of the crossfit type workouts I perform.... but should I tell her I do more because my rate of exertion is so high? I'm sure she's going to recommend I up my "cardio" too.

Just a side note:
One of the other doctors told me I shouldn't be doing exercises that make me want to throw up... I ignored her, of course... what's the point of working out if you don't feel disgusting afterwards?
Old 11-13-2006, 06:55 AM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
What meds are you on that have you gaining weight while exercising? (I am not a doctor...but curious to know)

Sadly most nutritionists will just read back what ever the current food triangle chart the FDA is approving nowadays which includes lots of grains. Plus they have no basic knowledge of exercise and the difference between anaerobic and aerobic. If you are gaining lbs while working out then it's either the diet you are on or the meds messing up with your hormones (which is worse). Because of the meds you may need more aerobic style training to counter act weight gain....but one would have to know what is going on internally with your hormones because of the medication.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
I agree with Mike, medicine these days is not working with our best interests all of the time.

I would seriously consider dropping a doctor who told me to eat a higher carb diet.

Edited to add pertinent comment:
I would tell her both the duration and the intensity of the exercise.

(Message edited by ssf on November 13, 2006)
Old 11-13-2006, 08:47 AM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
In most cases they really are just *practicing* medicine.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:48 AM   #5
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
I'd rather not post what medication I'm on because this a public board... however, Atkins diet, South Beach, etc interfere with the medication's effectiveness...

I'm not just a generally healthy person whose doctor says no to low carbs. My GP, by the way, recommends the zone to everyone for everything.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
No pressure. I would look for a doctor who would look to find more alternative ways to ween you off the medication.....as long as you are on the meds and they are causing weight gain, it may be an side effect you can not escape until you are off. No idea...would not suggest not taking meds, would just say find the healthiest route in the long term that does not rely on medication. There are other things you could probably try depending on the reason you are taking the meds. Do some research on the internet, probably lots of good info out there for you to review.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #7
Chris Tracy

Profile:
Cassi,

Find a good Naturopathic doctor to talk to. See if you can schedule some time with Doctor G, www.DoctorAsTeacher.com. I had an hour phone consultation with him and he gave me some advice that was very helpful.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:06 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Cassi, your doctor has no idea what the Zone is and lumps it in with "low carb diets". The Zone is not a low carb diet, in fact it is a modarate carb diet and should not interfer with any medication. On the Zone you would be getting 40% of your calories from carbs, that's actually quite a lot. Ask the doc what he/she believes the lowest amount of carbs you should be consuming...use that as a guideline. If he actually knew what he was talking about you would be on the Zone now. Ask some questions or hit me with an e-mail amd I'll walk you through it.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:14 AM   #9
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
The Zone is not a low carb diet, in fact it is a modarate carb diet and should not interfer with any medication.

You don't even know what medication he is on.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
SHE....fellows.....SHE.....

I second contacting Dr G or another quality naturopath. I've seen too many people screwed up by drugs....they are not the long term answer all doctors think they are.

High fat diets can be dangerous if it is a liver/kidney related issue. Also can interfere with the absorption of the medicines. Always check with a dr before changing diet habbits if on meds.