CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
About 10 years ago, my instructors had some Rice food products in their lil freezer at the dojo. They were primarily macrobiotic peeps ( seeing as they were from Japan at the time it was big ). In anycase, from time to time, I'd indulge in it.
A few years later I got addicted to rice pudding in the South. Yumm.
In the past few years as I've weaned myself off milk ( though I keep telling myself to look for some farmer with some cows considering this is the cow-town of Sac to try raw milk ).
When I first tried protein shakes I would mix them with milk. Eventually these just would take too long to digest.
I've pretty much cut off milk in the past year. I was drinking regular choco milk without hormones but found rice milk and cocoa mix well ( though the cocoa has some sugar in it to my disappointment; it's also a bit thin like nonfat milk ).

I just thought yesterday would this stuff be good at all for a snack/pickmeup during my gym workouts. As they are usually 2 to 3 hours and around dinner time, that means I'm usually getting hungry. At times, I can have some form of meat about an hour before workout but that all depends.

Per 8 fl oz there is 120 calories. 23 g of carbs, 10 being sugar. Is that too high? I know it tastes sweet. Negligible amounts of fat and protein and gluten. It also has some safflower or canola oil, probably to thicken the consistency since it's otherwise just water and rice mush.
They add some calcium, vit A, B12, and D but I'm unsure of the bioavailability. Oh, sea salt too which might be a good thing for salt levels from sweating.

I was trying carrots yesterday, but need to try that a few more times to see results. I hear they have sugar in them but I don't think it would be as bad as sucrose/fructose. I don't do CLIF bars anymore. I'm wondering about this in lieu of any performance drink I can find without sucralose or the sugary ones.

I'd rather not ingest anything that would take too much energy from working out. I just need something extra for the long workouts after coaching or driving.

Sometimes, for now, I can eat a bit of something before a 90min drive, but by that time or after working out for an hour, I'm back to the beginning of not enough gas in the tank.

Thanks, all.

(Message edited by Blairbob on August 01, 2006)
Old 08-03-2006, 09:06 AM   #2
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
Hmm, well, apparantly not.

While the one I buy doesn't say it adds sweetner, nevertheless I guess the oil in it isn't great.

OTOH, I did manage to find a store that sells raw milk. 2 actually in Sac thru mercola.