CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-14-2015, 06:42 AM   #1
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:
Psychological impact of an injury

I hurt my wrist almost a year ago today - just before the Open. Last year I had two cortisone shots into the joint. The first one lasted two months. Pain came back. The second one lasted six months. Pain came back mid - January this year. Both times after the shot I rested completely for a week / 10 days and then went back to CrossFit and lifting. I'm devastated that I'm back to square one after a year. It's my fault though - I think I perhaps didn't rest enough after the shots. I did discuss when I could go back to exercising with the orthopedic surgeon - he just said to moderate my activities and take it easy for a while. He is pretty old school and doesn't really know what CrossFit is.

I'm seeing him again on Monday hopefully for a third shot. He may not give me another cortisone injection - doesn't like giving too many - but I'm desperate, they really help and I'm committed this time round to waiting a month to six weeks before I return to lifting. I've changed boxes as well (our old one closed down) and my new coach will help me rehab the injury. The crux of my question is two-fold. After a shot, within a week or so, my wrist feels fantastic and so it's really difficult to figure out when you can CrossFit again because it feels great. How long should I sit out? Would six weeks of no lifting be ok do you think? Secondly, how do you cope with an injury mentally? Stay away from CrossFit altogether or go and just scale - do lower body - squats, box jumps and so on. I really struggle with holding myself back - feel isolated and left out and pretty angry that I can't join in. I think that's probably why I go back too soon (a week after the shot).

By the way, the irony is that according to the doctor, this injury is pretty insignificant - bone bruise with associated oedema (inflammation). Damn sore though. I can hang from things (and do pull ups for example) and deadlifts are fine but when the wrist goes into flexion (handstands, thrusters, cleans etc) it hurts like hell. Twisting actions also hurt - like if I try and open a jar.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Psychological impact of an injury

Be smart and no injections.

Put your time into rehab of your wrist and scale for a while until it gets better.

The injections remove the pain but not the problem and you seem to be going round in circles..

That's what I would do.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:28 AM   #3
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Guessing that i have many more years on my clock that you but i have had two major rehab sessions during my CF time: 5 months working on pelvic floor rehab and shoulder at the same time and more recently 64 years wear and tear on my back has resulted in 7 months of frustration.
The latter had required some time off CF but for the former my CF coach had WODs modified for me to do.. and I came out of that fitter and stronger. Both my physios do CF and send lists of what is approved and how things should be modified for me for the time being

For my back I am relearning mindful movement and starting lifting again after months of lunges, step ups, planks, air squats and the cursed airdyne.

I have a problem with my left wrist sharp pain in flexion so for pushups etc I use 10kg dumbbells so my wrist is straight and take care with wrist supporst when doing any OH work etc.

be patient, see a good sports physio and listen to what they say.. they are worth their weight in gold

H
Old 02-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Malcolm View Post
back to square one
Can I suggest reframing the idea of "square one"? The competitive nature of CrossFit (PRs, timed workouts, writing down every workout, tracking results) infer that there is a square one starting point and some theoretical, measurable maximum ability. There is a lot of good about that idea.

However, if we have to take time off for injury recovery (or some other reason) it's frustrating to fall back on that scale of achievement and ability. When I have been back at "square one," it's frustrating to think of your current athletic ability in those terms. Instead, I think of how I feel today. How is my health today? I'm going to do a workout today. It will make me feel better today (or tomorrow). I don't have to worry that my 1RM is less than it used to be. I'm going to use my muscles today, and it will feel good. Don't worry about where you were. Feel good today and be optimistic about where you're heading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Malcolm View Post
bone bruise with associated oedema (inflammation)
If it's not a bone injury (hard tissue), but actually a soft tissue (tendon or ligament), then a PRP injection (wfs) may be helpful. It's an option worth asking about. PRP helps soft tissue injuries more than bony injuries.

Sean Rockett is on the message boards here, and an orthopedic doctor. Send him a private message. He can give you better information.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:19 PM   #5
Sean Rockett

Profile:

Carmen I have seen bone edema in the bones of the wrist from hyperextension of the wrist or loading of the wrist. It brings about pain doing cleans and thrusters. Basically the bones are hitting against each other and causing pain and swelling in the bones. I haven't seen your study or examined you but in this situation I would refrain from cortisone. The swelling in the bone needs to go away and as you have already imagined it can take 6 weeks and sometimes longer. The beauty of crossfit is that you can modify and do other things that don't hurt which I would recommend.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:22 AM   #6
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Thanks for the advice and your time Sean. In six weeks time I plan on starting to lift again (very lightly) and then increase the weight incrementally by 10% from week to week. If I can lift without feeling pain, is that an indication that the bones are healed?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
Sean Rockett

Profile:

yes stay away from pain