CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-18-2015, 05:51 PM   #11
Ari Sherwood

Profile:
Re: ACL Rupture and miniscus tear :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Rockett View Post
Ari's timeline is accurate for most people, don't feel the need to get back before 6 months to high intensity twisting and pivoting sports. Some data suggesting people returning too soon and risk reinjury when waiting a few more weeks or even months to get more strength and proprioception may have helped. Also I would not put typical crossfit workouts in that category and it can help recover with the strength training before 6 months. Good luck. Ari would you agree you kept getting stronger even after 6 months?

Yes, good points, Sean. TBH, though I returned to my sport, I was cognizant of not trying to twist and cut much at all (I was playing goalie in lacrosse) and I only started playing again because I felt like the leg was strong and had good control. That being said, there is indeed some elevated risk to the graft during those earlier months and I didn't go all out.

As for getting stronger after the 6 month mark, I would definitely agree. I did a few cycles of Starting Strengh after the 5 month mark and saw improvement in my strength on both legs, and my lifts went higher than than they were before I tore it. I definitely got more confident on the knee as time went on. I would say after the 18 month mark is when it really startedf to feel like "my" knee again and I just stopped thinking about it.

I didn't notice any loss of speed after recovery.

Good luck. I'm sure it will go well if you're careful and diligent in your rehab. I really think CF makes the rehab process go so much more smoothly.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #12
Michael Carroll

Profile:
Re: ACL Rupture and miniscus tear :(

First day back in the gym since I hurt my knee just day a body builder type workout all upper body and the bike felt pretty gold I finally discovered a use for those nautilus machines lol