CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-23-2015, 04:46 PM   #41
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: solid supplements to take

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Hood View Post
A day of my supplements looks like this:
1. Wake up- Large scoop (about 4tbsp) of peanut butter, Arbonne protein mixed with Fiber Boost, 1tsp of Creatine and L-Glutamine
2. Pre-workout- I cycle through different brands of pre-workout drinks so I don't build a tolerance. I have taken RAzor 8 for the past couple months and now take Driven Nutrition's stuff. I don't use stuff with Aspartame or Saccharin but will use if it has Succralose. I prefer Stevia as a sweetener.
3. During workout I take an Amino Acid drink. There are many out there. I forget the brand I'm taking now. It has Succralose in it.
4. Post workout I take my Arbonne protein mixed with Creatine and L-Glutamine. I also squirt some Agave in there but will go back to Honey after my current detox. The sugar is a great delivery vehicle for the Creatine.

I also take Cod Liver oil and a joint function vitamin at morning and night. I follow the Arbonne eating plan to try to keep my pH in balance. I DO notice a difference when my body gets too acidic. My joints will start to hurt. I typically avoid Soy, Dairy, Gluten, Pork and keep sugar to a minimum. I try to hit low glycemic vs higher glycemic sugars. I cheat roughly 2 days/week. Bottom line? I listen to my body. I just PR'd my back squat today at 330 (Raw) weighing only 158lbs. I have a deadlift PR of 425 and can run a 5K in ~22min. I'm 39 y/o and 5'10" tall. What I do works well for me and may not work as well for others. You asked, for what it's worth.
You notice a difference when your body gets too acidic? Oh boy.... You do realize your body never gets too acidic unless something is seriously wrong, no? Don't buy into fad diets which are bereft of scientific backing.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 PM   #42
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
You notice a difference when your body gets too acidic? Oh boy.... You do realize your body never gets too acidic unless something is seriously wrong, no? Don't buy into fad diets which are bereft of scientific backing.
But I thought if I didn't drink lemon water first thing in the morning I would lose all my gainz
Old 01-25-2015, 05:55 PM   #43
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Sirakos View Post
But I thought if I didn't drink lemon water first thing in the morning I would lose all my gainz
I don't want to tease him as there is a lot of that sort of thinking in the CrossFit world (Paleo Diet, Bulletproof Coffee and so on). I just wanted to make him, or more importantly because he has already bought in, or others who read what he wrote understand it is wrong.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:30 AM   #44
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Chris, there is a recent study, that beetoort juice improves vo2max performance due its high level of nitrates.

Sounds like a good idea to have a bit of it prior to heavy wods?
Old 01-26-2015, 03:43 PM   #45
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
Chris, there is a recent study, that beetoort juice improves vo2max performance due its high level of nitrates.

Sounds like a good idea to have a bit of it prior to heavy wods?
Those studies are equivocal. I was looking at such things for an intra-workout we are planning and I just didn't see enough convincing evidence to use ingredients high in nitrates.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:57 PM   #46
Stanley Walter

Profile:

I quit taking creatine, and am still maintaining strength levels during a hockey season where I'm playing 4-5 nights per week.

No reason why I quit, really. Ran out and haven't bought any new stuff.

I take vitamin D, Omega 3, calcium/magnesium, multi and lots of whey since I have a tough time keeping protein levels up with my diet.

I have had great results while taking creatine though, so I see the benefit. Still able to maintain great strength levels without it though.

Best pre-workout supplement? A cup of coffee. Just works for me.
Old 01-26-2015, 11:52 PM   #47
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Those studies are equivocal. I was looking at such things for an intra-workout we are planning and I just didn't see enough convincing evidence to use ingredients high in nitrates.
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-bbf102314.php

"Our research, published in the journal Physiology in 2013, has shown that the nitrate found in beetroot concentrate increases blood flow to skeletal muscles during exercise," said David Poole, professor of exercise kinesiology and anatomy and physiology at Kansas State University. The journal Physiology is widely regarded as the world's premiere physiology journal.

Do you have access to that study?
Old 01-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #48
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-bbf102314.php

"Our research, published in the journal Physiology in 2013, has shown that the nitrate found in beetroot concentrate increases blood flow to skeletal muscles during exercise," said David Poole, professor of exercise kinesiology and anatomy and physiology at Kansas State University. The journal Physiology is widely regarded as the world's premiere physiology journal.

Do you have access to that study?
Keep in mind that is one study. Look at others and see what you think.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:00 AM   #49
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Chris, what about Bulbine Natalensis? I am sure young guys dont need it, but what about us, oldies?
Old 03-12-2015, 08:18 AM   #50
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Chris, what about Bulbine Natalensis? I am sure young guys dont need it, but what about us, oldies?
I'd never heard of it. I just looked it up on PubMed and all I can find is rat studies showing it might help with test production. Anything that boosts test naturally usually does not do so to the degree it can make a significant training difference.