CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
Tim Squires

Profile:
Competition Plates

Getting ready to splurge on some color comp plates. Have the list down to:

Old Pendlays
New Pendlays
New Rogue
American Barbell (http://www.americanbarbell.com/produ...htlifting.html)

Don't imagine anyone's used the rogues yet and I can't seem to find any pricing info on the American Barbell. The Pendlays are nice in that they go on sale every so often but I've read of many issues with loose center discs. Thoughts/opinions?
Old 06-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: Competition Plates

if you're going to splurge on real competition plates, why not get a set of USAW legal plates like Werksan, Eleiko or Ivanko?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:59 AM   #3
Jason A Smith

Profile:

I have a full set of Pendlay comp style bumpers. I like them, they are very loud when you drop them but I do not have to chase them around the platform or my garage. I lifted with Eleiko stuff last week, it is not the same as the Pendlay plates FWIW. Never dropped them so cannot comments, but the 10KG/25# plates are thicker.

They are currently on sale (20% off) and a really good deal. If you really are looking for a set of IWF plates from comps they will not do the trick. Eleiko, Werksan, DHS, ZKC, Uesaka and a couple others are actually certified for use in meets. Those actual comp plates are very expensive.

Are you going pounds or KG ? I lift at home in KG and I like lifting and doing the math much better. If they are just training plates go with the color Pendlays, they are a good deal. Save the money for a really good bar though.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:53 AM   #4
John Drohan

Profile:

Now that Rogue has "new" competition plates, their old competition plates are now simply "Color Training Plates" and remaining at their previous price.

So if you were thinking of new Rogue's, you can save some money and get their "old" competition plates. Just an FYI.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #5
Marshall Flagg

Profile:

I contacted American Barbell a while back and got a quote for 1500 for a full set of bumpers including fractional plates. That was with a 20% discount. They seem like nice enough folks.

I am also in the tire kicking phase. My Rogues HGs are fine I just HATE converting lbs to kgs. Can't stand it and I am a complete idiot for buying lbs when I knew better but I was not O lifting full time at that point.

Ultimately, I will probably get what is on sale or I feel like affording. Most likely Pendlays since they routinely go on sale.

I have a Pendlay bearing bar which is nice but I might forgo spending a grand on bumpers to pick up an Eleiko training (or Comp) bar because I like them so much. Werksan bars are made of magic also.

The new Rogue plates look cool. I suppose those could be in the mix when they release kilos.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #6
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

The rep fitness competition bumpers are awesome and a great price. I've had mine for about 9 months and they look perfect.

Edit: looks like their sets are out of stock right now.
Old 06-18-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Ryan McGrotty

Profile:

^Thanks for the kind words Andrew! We actually released version 2 of those competition plates, which is why version 1 is low on stock as we phase those out.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

http://www.repfitness.com/bars-plate...n-bumper-plate

Wfs

Here is a link to the v2 comp plates. They look awesome and are in stock
Old 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
Bryan Weingart

Profile:

the old rogue comp plates and pendlay elites are the same thing with different names on the plates (I imagine the new ones are the same way).

I have a 15kg pair of the new pendlays on the way, pretty sure they are the same exact plates with a new font; that being said, I love the old pendlay elites and rogue comp plates.

MDUSA has the 20% off and FREE Shipping right now, so that is money
Old 06-18-2014, 11:09 PM   #10
Steven Thunander

Profile:

If you are willing to take black plates, Again Faster has their comp (training) plates on sale. The regular price is $775.00 for 320 lbs, it would be under $700 if you purchased them now.