CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
Larry Larned

Profile:
Re: To Smolov or Not To Smolov

Found it. Starts on 130617.

http://theoutlawway.com/category/blog/page/27/ (WFS)

Tristan makes a great point. The recovery may be the part you struggle with. Either way, good luck!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Please note they did Smolov Jr....I've never done that version, but it seems more conducive to working other training in too.

Because this is a percentage based program it really depends on how true your percentages are. Some folks float right through Smolov, these folks tend to be newer to lifting and have not gotten to lifts close to their potential.

Whenever I hear someone say they breezed through Smolov + conditioning (with only a "couple" of tough days, that usually means:

1) Smolov Jr
and/or
2) They did the Wendler thing and took 90% of their 1RM to be safe.

Smolov is not written to be worked on estimated or projected max, you should max out before starting to see where you are then begin. (OF course YOU CAN do that, but that's not the original intent). Good Luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 AM   #13
Will Hurst

Profile:

Thanks all, I use all that info in planning my summer program. Recovery does seem to be the hitch if I go crazy on volume, it's easy to derail a program that way.

So to add to my question, what's every ones though on using my previous max instead of retesting. I only ask because I know my strength is down because I've been backpacking our of the country for about a month but I know it'll come back a week in to the program.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
Tristan Hoyle

Profile:

Retest. You'll definitely not want to use an old max if your strength is down. Find out what your max is right now, and work off that.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:21 PM   #15
Ryan Pye

Profile:

I've attempted Smolov once (dropped out due to life, not injury) but I cannot imagine completing it while doing anything else with my legs. You might be able to bench/press and such but anything more than that would give me no chance to complete it. If you are using close to your max for the percentage it's based off, just sleeping, eating, and squatting is tough enough.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #16
Joshua Straiton

Profile:

Just do the base. I've seen virtually everyone I know who tried to do the full 13 weeks fail, and it gets boring after a while. What I would suggest (and what I did with great success) is to take two weeks prior to the base mesocycle where you squat absurdly high volumes 6 days a week.

Alternate front and back squats. Squat no more than 225lbs for each of these, but work up in sets of 10-20 reps. Focus on moving slow and controlled into the bottom to learn how to place tension on the muscle.

These two weeks with prepare your muscles/tendons/joints for the high volume +high intensity of the base mesocycle. I would also say to underestimate you max slightly, say 10-15 lbs or so, and if the sets for the day feel easy then you can counter that by repping out your last set rather than following the EXACT program.

I would say no WOD's during this time, if you're gonna do it then just take the month to get as big and strong as possible.

You can deadlift twice a week light also, along with benching/pressing and back work if you have the time.

If you want any more info on how I combined this into a feasible powerlifting program then feel free to ask.
Old 04-15-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
Richard Colon

Profile:

"Be like a postage stamp. Stick to one thing until you get there."
- Josh Billings
Old 04-29-2014, 02:33 AM   #18
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Hoyle View Post
I've done Smolov Jr twice now, and both times I've been able to add other work on the squat days. Typically some Oly lifting, but I have done MetCons with it as well. Keep in mind that I am 17 though, and can basically recover from whatever I need to and get 9-10 hours of sleep each night. The only day out of Jr. That I felt really pushed me was the 10x3, but even then I found I could do that in the morning, and come back and hit another quality Weightlifting session in the PM.
AHHHH...Youth!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM   #19
Joseph Smyth

Profile:

For those who have done Smolov-

any recover tips as far as avoiding soreness? any particular stretches or mobility you used? I am on week 1 and feeling pretty good with the volume, I just want to avoid prohibitive soreness. Typically when I squat the sorest areas are right at the top of my hamstrings where they meet my glutes, and my upper inner thigh/groin area. thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 02:40 PM   #20
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Smyth View Post
For those who have done Smolov-

any recover tips as far as avoiding soreness? any particular stretches or mobility you used? I am on week 1 and feeling pretty good with the volume, I just want to avoid prohibitive soreness. Typically when I squat the sorest areas are right at the top of my hamstrings where they meet my glutes, and my upper inner thigh/groin area. thanks
Smolov recommends doing sets of lunges on certain off days to prevent soreness and promote bloodflow.

The worst soreness I experienced came during the intro portion of Smolov. I did do the lunges, but I think my regular mobility drills helped more. I'd say just make sure nutrition and sleep are good and keep mobility consistent at 10-15 minutes daily during the intro cycle.

I also brought a lacrosse ball to work and would sit on top of it and roll my hamstrings while in my chair.