CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-23-2004, 08:11 PM   #1
Roy Taylor

Profile:
I just turned 20 last friday, and my Dad guaranteed I had at least one more growth spurt left, according to our family history.

Instinct tells me that a calorie deficit/trying to lean out may have a negative effect in this regard.

As of now, im on a zone/athlete zone combo(adjusting fat according to activity). If I should ratchet up the kcals for a growth spurt, I was thinking of dropping a carb block and adding a few fat blocks. Basically, bringing it to a "Eat meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, etc....) explained in the WCF in 100 words.

Of course, I would still have that big oatmeal and fruit smoothie breakfast post W/O.

Any thoughts on growth spurts for us young punks? Something inside is telling me "Eat as much healthy whole food as I want for a while, minimizing all the junk":wink:

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Roy,

You're only 20 years old!!!!! I don't mean to sound condescending, in fact I mean to imply quite the opposite. Holy crap my friend, I wish I would have started a life of fittness when I was your age. I mean, I ran, swam and such... but not Crossfit. You are way ahead of most of us. Very impressive!

Anyway... in my opinion...at your age, assuming your're not overweight (fat).. eat up!!! Just like you said. As much of the healthy stuff as you want, and not so much junk. Nuts and seeds, healthy meats, veggies, seasonal fruits... loaded with the goodies you need to grow.

If I remember 20 correctly (and I may not).. I ate like ****, all the time, and usually lost weight from all the chewing.

Brad
Old 09-24-2004, 05:30 AM   #3
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Brad,

I actually started this lifestyle a few years ago(but bodybuilding, not crossfit) Right now Im 5'9-10", 150lbs @ 6-8%BF.

Im hooked on the calorie deficit, but nothing is happening either way. Im not leaning out, nor gaining muscle weight. As far as looks, crossfit is "reshaping" me, rather than adding or subtracting mass of any kind.

As far as ratcheting up the food intake, I know it should be done gradually, but don't know HOW gradually. For example: add 100kcals a week, or 100kcals a day? In my case, I shouldbe careful due to poor genetics. We tend to gain fat REALLY easily. Thanks for your reply.

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-24-2004, 12:47 PM   #4
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
Roy,

I would add 200-300 calories per week, if you start gaining unwanted fat, back off a bit. I'd also suggest consuming those extra calories earlier in the day. I'm 19 and only 5'7 - I hope a spurt comes my way too! :-)

-Jonathon
Old 09-24-2004, 03:49 PM   #5
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Be grateful for your heights, guys.

Squats and acrobatics come harder after you break 6'! :biggrin:
Old 09-24-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
<<< 6' 4"

I can't even do HSPUs in a lot of places because my feet hit the ceiling.

and MAN that pull up bar can be very far away with long arms.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:09 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

I realize that short height (I have to stretch to reach 5'6") may be an asset in gymnastics. Even so, in our culture, there are *many* rewards for being tall.

With no intent to offend anyone here, I bet there's not one of the over 6' guys here who would trade heights with me . . .

Somewhere above 6'6", I can see height becoming a pain in the a$$ (unless you can play pro basketball) . . . but not in that 6' to 6'4 range.

(On the other hand, I did spend a substantial portion of today in the center seat of various airplanes, and I'll admit, that's the one time I'm definitely grateful for my height . . .)

Dave
Old 09-24-2004, 09:06 PM   #8
Mike Minium

Profile:
Dave,

Do your feet even touch the ground when you're sitting in an airplane seat? ;-) (Sorry, couldn't resist an attempt at lame humor.) Heck, I'm only 5'10" so I should probably keep my mouth shut.

Mike
Old 09-25-2004, 06:05 AM   #9
Donald Woodson

Profile:

OW. Careful there Mike. One of them short guys tied me into a pretzel one time.:blush:
Old 09-25-2004, 06:22 AM   #10
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
I really could care less about being taller - I just wish I could find pants that fit length wise! :-)

-Jonathon