CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Hips?

Okay, so, one of two things will happen with this post.

one - I will get big and famous some day, and then someone will mock my ignorance by linking to this post I'm about to make.

two - I will remain average, and look back upon it and have hopefully learned something and improved my fitness through it.

I have a complete lack of muscle awareness. I've been crossfitting for almost a year and a half, and just recently think I figured out the proper way to deadlift (my thoughts on this are because I'm starting to feel it on the backside of my legs). I always hear people talking about using your hips for movements like the clean and snatch, but I honestly don't even know what that means. I try to do a slow deadlift type movement until I'm above my knees, then I try to stand up really fast and move my arms to wherever they need to be for the movement. (possibly THIS VIDEO OR ANY OF THESE - ALL WFS - would shed light on this. - note, all the words linked are to separate videos)

The only movement I really feel like I'm using my hips is the kettlebell swing (which is linked in one of those videos above).

I'm open to any criticism and I am always striving to improve, but I'm starting to think there is some glaring omission that's holding me back that I can't seem to pinpoint.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Hips?

It's kind of funny, the way you describe your issue is almost exactly something Rip said in a video of his - basically primarily men have issues with body awareness and proper back engagement and hip drive. In the same video he demos a technique that involves the athlete laying on the floor and engaging the back properly in order to get familiar with how it should feel. I can't be bothered with digging it up, but you should basically watch every video on the SS website anyway and you'll find it eventually

Also, picking up a copy of Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Coaches and Athletes probably wouldn't hurt.

Last edited by Rebecca Roth : 03-06-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
It's kind of funny, the way you describe your issue is almost exactly something Rip said in a video of his - basically primarily men have issues with body awareness and proper back engagement and hip drive. In the same video he demos a technique that involves the athlete laying on the floor and engaging the back properly in order to get familiar with how it should feel. I can't be bothered with digging it up, but you should basically watch every video on the SS website anyway and you'll find it eventually
When I go to the SS website, all I find is stuff for sale, is there free stuff listed somewhere or am I just dumb. I'm going to assume the latter.

Quote:
Also, picking up a copy of Greg Everett's Olympic Weightlifting: A Complete Guide for Coaches and Athletes probably wouldn't hurt.
Yup, it's been on my Amazon wishlist for a good minute, it will be picked up eventually.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
When I go to the SS website, all I find is stuff for sale, is there free stuff listed somewhere or am I just dumb. I'm going to assume the latter.
Go to Resources tab > Videos

I didn't pull it up to check, but I would bet the one I'm thinking of is the one titled "lower back position control"
Old 03-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Go to Resources tab > Videos

I didn't pull it up to check, but I would bet the one I'm thinking of is the one titled "lower back position control"
Awesome, thanks! For anyone else that comes along this thread, and is looking for the video, it's HERE
Old 03-07-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

SS is blocked here, which is why I haven't simply linked.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM   #7
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

So I was going to make a new topic about this same thing, until I found *MY* old post! I had forgotten I wrote this.

So I followed all the advice above, and I'm still drawing blanks - here's what I had begun typing in my "new" post -

So I'm pretty embarrassed to ask this, but the whole "leave your ego at the door" thing is starting to apply.

I don't understand the usage of hips in the snatch/clean movements. I get it in Kettlebells, and I'm pretty decent at it. But I've been told a ton of times that my cleans/snatches are pretty much 100% shrug 0% hips. And I'm almost certain this is holding me back. I watched some videos over the weekend, and I'm starting to understand the "2nd pull" (*I think*) it's where the hip extension comes in to send the bar from the top of the deadlift to the either rack or overhead. And yes, I've no clue how to include my hips into this movement.

Youtube is blocked from here - so I can't link my 12.2 open wod video (http://games.crossfit.com/judge/67946 - WFS) where it will most likely be on display

Anyone have some good coaching tips on how to implement the usage of hips in the movement? I'm sure once I figure it out I'll finally get past this wall I've been stuck at with snatches for almost 6 months now of 125#.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:05 AM   #8
Deb Weber

Profile:

Quote:
Youtube is blocked from here - so I can't link my 12.2 open wod video (http://games.crossfit.com/judge/67946 - WFS) where it will most likely be on display
IMHO - Go to 4:15 in the video. I think a lot of your prob is your setup - hips seem too high, back is rounded at the start...I would begin there. Looks like you start using your upperbody/back from the getgo.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM   #9
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Thanks Deb,
I have definitely started lower since that video was posted (and I received that critique), but I still haven't gotten any higher weight. I think my form has improved a little, as the 125# does feel easier, but still no progress, even with fractional weights.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #10
Deb Weber

Profile:

I struggle with the same thing, very tempting to try to muscle it w/my upper body. Its hold your position, bring the bar in, push feet thru floor... GL!