CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
Darryl Shaw
Member Darryl Shaw is offline
 
Darryl Shaw's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manchester  England
Posts: 1,925
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
I've seen a bunch of stuff around the net about caffeine counteracting the effects of creatine. John Welbourn often blogs about using both as training aids. Anyone have any solid information on this? Can one use both?
Caffeine counteracts the ergogenic action of muscle creatine loading.

Opposite actions of caffeine and creatine on muscle relaxation time in humans.

UMM.edu - Creatine.

UMM.edu - Possible Interactions with: Creatine.

MedlinePlus - Creatine.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 10-25-2011 at 06:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
Jay Mulder
Member Jay Mulder is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto  ON Canada
Posts: 111
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Awesome! Thanks for all those links Darryl. This is exactly why I asked. Some have never heard of the problem, while others say its a huge issue. Maybe its something I'll just need to play with and see what works. Giving up coffee would suck, but if creatine can make training more worth while its kind of a toss up until I see the results.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

It isn't an issue. Probably best not to consume them concurrently, but I drink a LOT of caffeine daily and take creatine and I would still say the creatine works quite nicely for me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #14
Adam Castagno
Member Adam Castagno is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norwood  MA
Posts: 172
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

IMHO, I would save your money, no matter how good of a deal you purchased the creatine for, and get off it.
Prior to me starting CF 6-7+mo's ago, I cycled on and off roughly 10 different kinds of creatine from the original monohydrate up to the CEE blends. Yes I can argue that I may have gained some additional strength possibly size and weight as well, however most of the little amounts that I did gain, tended to leave once I stopped taking it.
I use to be a huge believer in a lot of different supplements out there, however once I smartened up, I realized all you really need is a solid diet, and some whey protein, and you can make all the gains you want. The amount of creatine one really needs, you can get through your diet alone.
Once again this just happens to be my opinion. The supplement industry will tell you otherwise.
__________________
The only easy day was yesterday!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Jay Mulder
Member Jay Mulder is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto  ON Canada
Posts: 111
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
IMHO, I would save your money, no matter how good of a deal you purchased the creatine for, and get off it.
Prior to me starting CF 6-7+mo's ago, I cycled on and off roughly 10 different kinds of creatine from the original monohydrate up to the CEE blends. Yes I can argue that I may have gained some additional strength possibly size and weight as well, however most of the little amounts that I did gain, tended to leave once I stopped taking it.
I use to be a huge believer in a lot of different supplements out there, however once I smartened up, I realized all you really need is a solid diet, and some whey protein, and you can make all the gains you want. The amount of creatine one really needs, you can get through your diet alone.
Once again this just happens to be my opinion. The supplement industry will tell you otherwise.
For the most part I agree. Although there has been some evidence to show different people reacting differently to creatine. It works for some and doesn't for others. I don't even remember why I bought the stuff (6 months ago), but the fact remains that I have it. I'm currently doing CFFB and Jon Welbourn claims to like creatine post-workout. Basically I've committed myself to doing CFFB as close to programmed as I can untill the end of the year, whatever Jon says goes. So I have the stuff, if it can help, why not? I just want to use it correctly.

I'm perfectly fine with this thread becoming a creatine usage discussion by the way, I've received my answer for the OP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
Adam Castagno
Member Adam Castagno is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norwood  MA
Posts: 172
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
For the most part I agree. Although there has been some evidence to show different people reacting differently to creatine. It works for some and doesn't for others. I don't even remember why I bought the stuff (6 months ago), but the fact remains that I have it. I'm currently doing CFFB and Jon Welbourn claims to like creatine post-workout. Basically I've committed myself to doing CFFB as close to programmed as I can untill the end of the year, whatever Jon says goes. So I have the stuff, if it can help, why not? I just want to use it correctly.

I'm perfectly fine with this thread becoming a creatine usage discussion by the way, I've received my answer for the OP.
From my experience as well as that of others that took it a long with myself, try taking your creatine 30-60 mins prior to training, I feel safe to say that I guarantee that you see/feel better results from it. What type are you using?
__________________
The only easy day was yesterday!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
Chris Mason
Banned Chris Mason is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Charlottesville  VA
Posts: 4,708
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
IMHO, I would save your money, no matter how good of a deal you purchased the creatine for, and get off it.
Prior to me starting CF 6-7+mo's ago, I cycled on and off roughly 10 different kinds of creatine from the original monohydrate up to the CEE blends. Yes I can argue that I may have gained some additional strength possibly size and weight as well, however most of the little amounts that I did gain, tended to leave once I stopped taking it.
I use to be a huge believer in a lot of different supplements out there, however once I smartened up, I realized all you really need is a solid diet, and some whey protein, and you can make all the gains you want. The amount of creatine one really needs, you can get through your diet alone.
Once again this just happens to be my opinion. The supplement industry will tell you otherwise.
Actually, creatine is a much better supplement to take than protein for most individuals. Protein supplements are supplements of convenience, not some magic bullet that will make you huge. Creatine, on the other hand, is a true ergogen that will benefit the training of most users.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
Adam Castagno
Member Adam Castagno is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Norwood  MA
Posts: 172
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Actually, creatine is a much better supplement to take than protein for most individuals. Protein supplements are supplements of convenience, not some magic bullet that will make you huge. Creatine, on the other hand, is a true ergogen that will benefit the training of most users.

Ehhh, sorta... If your diet is in check and you are getting the correct amount of high quality protein throughout the day then yes you probably would not benefit from a protein supplement, however whey's are always a great choice pwo due to its fast digestion.

To say Creatine is a much better supplement than protein is a little extreme, and I honestly doubt to be true... we should do a poll on it.
__________________
The only easy day was yesterday!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
Adam Carlson
Member Adam Carlson is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Higashikurume  Tokyo
Posts: 833
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Adam - just wanted to point out that Chris is someone who knows his stuff with nutrition, supplements, and training. Google him in conjunction with phrases like 'nutrition', 'training', or 'west-side barbell' and see what you get.

Not trying to talk down to anyone, just wanting to point out who one of our posters is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
James Mazzarisi
Member James Mazzarisi is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jackson Hole  WY
Posts: 86
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Just read a recent article that debunked the hypothesis that caffeine negates the effects of creatine. Will see if I can find it.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching from Creatine Ethyl Ester to Creatine Monohydrate Jake Kozlowski Nutrition 11 07-12-2011 04:40 AM
Caffeine? Ken Whetham Nutrition 14 01-04-2009 11:44 PM
Started zone.. caffeine/creatine? Francisco Rodriguez Nutrition 15 03-14-2007 04:14 PM
Information About Caffeine Ryan Kirk Nutrition 1 05-05-2006 12:03 PM
How many here use caffeine? Michael Forge Nutrition 43 03-26-2006 04:01 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.