CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 AM   #11
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Caffeine and Creatine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
I've seen a bunch of stuff around the net about caffeine counteracting the effects of creatine. John Welbourn often blogs about using both as training aids. Anyone have any solid information on this? Can one use both?
Caffeine counteracts the ergogenic action of muscle creatine loading.

Opposite actions of caffeine and creatine on muscle relaxation time in humans.

UMM.edu - Creatine.

UMM.edu - Possible Interactions with: Creatine.

MedlinePlus - Creatine.

*All links wfs*

Last edited by Darryl Shaw : 10-25-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 AM   #12
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Awesome! Thanks for all those links Darryl. This is exactly why I asked. Some have never heard of the problem, while others say its a huge issue. Maybe its something I'll just need to play with and see what works. Giving up coffee would suck, but if creatine can make training more worth while its kind of a toss up until I see the results.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

It isn't an issue. Probably best not to consume them concurrently, but I drink a LOT of caffeine daily and take creatine and I would still say the creatine works quite nicely for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:40 AM   #14
Adam Castagno

Profile:

IMHO, I would save your money, no matter how good of a deal you purchased the creatine for, and get off it.
Prior to me starting CF 6-7+mo's ago, I cycled on and off roughly 10 different kinds of creatine from the original monohydrate up to the CEE blends. Yes I can argue that I may have gained some additional strength possibly size and weight as well, however most of the little amounts that I did gain, tended to leave once I stopped taking it.
I use to be a huge believer in a lot of different supplements out there, however once I smartened up, I realized all you really need is a solid diet, and some whey protein, and you can make all the gains you want. The amount of creatine one really needs, you can get through your diet alone.
Once again this just happens to be my opinion. The supplement industry will tell you otherwise.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
IMHO, I would save your money, no matter how good of a deal you purchased the creatine for, and get off it.
Prior to me starting CF 6-7+mo's ago, I cycled on and off roughly 10 different kinds of creatine from the original monohydrate up to the CEE blends. Yes I can argue that I may have gained some additional strength possibly size and weight as well, however most of the little amounts that I did gain, tended to leave once I stopped taking it.
I use to be a huge believer in a lot of different supplements out there, however once I smartened up, I realized all you really need is a solid diet, and some whey protein, and you can make all the gains you want. The amount of creatine one really needs, you can get through your diet alone.
Once again this just happens to be my opinion. The supplement industry will tell you otherwise.
For the most part I agree. Although there has been some evidence to show different people reacting differently to creatine. It works for some and doesn't for others. I don't even remember why I bought the stuff (6 months ago), but the fact remains that I have it. I'm currently doing CFFB and Jon Welbourn claims to like creatine post-workout. Basically I've committed myself to doing CFFB as close to programmed as I can untill the end of the year, whatever Jon says goes. So I have the stuff, if it can help, why not? I just want to use it correctly.

I'm perfectly fine with this thread becoming a creatine usage discussion by the way, I've received my answer for the OP.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #16
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mulder View Post
For the most part I agree. Although there has been some evidence to show different people reacting differently to creatine. It works for some and doesn't for others. I don't even remember why I bought the stuff (6 months ago), but the fact remains that I have it. I'm currently doing CFFB and Jon Welbourn claims to like creatine post-workout. Basically I've committed myself to doing CFFB as close to programmed as I can untill the end of the year, whatever Jon says goes. So I have the stuff, if it can help, why not? I just want to use it correctly.

I'm perfectly fine with this thread becoming a creatine usage discussion by the way, I've received my answer for the OP.
From my experience as well as that of others that took it a long with myself, try taking your creatine 30-60 mins prior to training, I feel safe to say that I guarantee that you see/feel better results from it. What type are you using?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #17
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Castagno View Post
Actually, creatine is a much better supplement to take than protein for most individuals. Protein supplements are supplements of convenience, not some magic bullet that will make you huge. Creatine, on the other hand, is a true ergogen that will benefit the training of most users.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 AM   #18
Adam Castagno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Actually, creatine is a much better supplement to take than protein for most individuals. Protein supplements are supplements of convenience, not some magic bullet that will make you huge. Creatine, on the other hand, is a true ergogen that will benefit the training of most users.

Ehhh, sorta... If your diet is in check and you are getting the correct amount of high quality protein throughout the day then yes you probably would not benefit from a protein supplement, however whey's are always a great choice pwo due to its fast digestion.

To say Creatine is a much better supplement than protein is a little extreme, and I honestly doubt to be true... we should do a poll on it.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #19
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Adam - just wanted to point out that Chris is someone who knows his stuff with nutrition, supplements, and training. Google him in conjunction with phrases like 'nutrition', 'training', or 'west-side barbell' and see what you get.

Not trying to talk down to anyone, just wanting to point out who one of our posters is.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:28 AM   #20
James Mazzarisi

Profile:

Just read a recent article that debunked the hypothesis that caffeine negates the effects of creatine. Will see if I can find it.