CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM   #21
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:
Re: right femur likes to be externally rotated...need to fix this

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koshy View Post
Arturo, holy crap! So I tried forcing my right leg (when its the back leg) to remain straight without rotating outwards, and I can't even reach the floor with the hip flexor stretch. I think that whole hip flexor is just crazy tight...i'm like fighting my right femur to keep it close to straight instead of rotating outwards when I'm doing the standard kneeling hip flexor stretch. I might need my roommate to like push the femur and keep it from rotating out when the right leg is in the back.
Often times this tightness is due to the hip "protecting". I tweaked something some time ago, thought it was a muscle pull but it just hasnt healed. Doesnt seem to hinder any of my lifts but I have a hard time lifting leg straight up in front of me(like walking up stairs), get a sharp pain on inside of hip.

The general diagnosis is a lax hip joint causing the muscles to over protect and remain tense. The sloppiness of the joint can lead to various referral pains etc making the true culprit hard to diagnose so I had prolothgerapy done on the whole hip. Already starting to feel a little better with the acute inflammation caused by prolo tightening up the whole hip joint.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM   #22
Donald Lee

Profile:

If you get tired of trying to figure things out yourself, you could get a session with a massage therapist who specializes in deep tissue type work (Neuromuscular Therapy, Myofascial Release, Rolfing) or just works with a lot of athletes. Someone like that should be able to help you identify postural dysfunction, tight muscles, and the rest and give you stretches and ways to tackle your issues yourself.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #23
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Yes. Watch this stretch: WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7LpKdLoF3A

I'm willing to bet you can't keep your back foot pointing straight ahead. It was very hard for me too. It's getting better every time I do it. This is a great stretch, at least for me. It's also very hard. I gotta flex the back leg's quad hard so the knee doesn't bend. And I try to "curl" myself forward with the front leg (using it's hamstrings/glutes). I also contract the back leg's glute really hard to avoid arching the low back. I don't raise the arms like in the video but might start doing it now that it's getting easier and I can focus on details like that. Try it and tell us how it feels.

Also, I discovered that from being externally rotated for so long, I had trigger points in the Piriformis. At first it was very painful to even use an old tennis ball with this method showed by DeFranco: WFS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWfnAUsYUTI

Now I can use a very hard ball and stay there forever if I want to. In fact I roll until my arms get tired. I bet you'll find a tender spot somewhere in there.

And I'd do the internal rotation stretch you showed a link to a few posts above, it can't do any harm and will probably help.

Like I said I'm not one of the board's experts in anatomy. I've just gone through problems with external rotation and have had to learn a lot to try and fix myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
One more thing: for the longest time I did hip flexor stretches but arching the crap out of my lower back. Flexing the glutes and abs HARD to try and tuck your butt under is a MUST and probably the most important bit of doing hip flexor stretches.

Also a foam roller is cheap and a good investment as they last forever, just throwing this out there as it's helped keep my quads and ITband,etc., free of "knots" that could cause referred pain in joints like the knee.
Aaaagghhhhh! I needed those!
Old 03-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #24
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Glad it helped any Veronica.

+1 to what Donald Lee said. The only reason I haven't done it myself is because I know of noone in my country who does that stuff. I did find a chiro and lost a lot of money for nothing. But if you can afford it, go to someone who knows about this stuff.

By the way, you mentioned in your original post that the Doc told you you have weak VMO.... that's funny. In my case, the VMO in my right, externally-rotated leg, is actually VISIBLY smaller than the right one. I can see it by flexing the quads in front of a mirror, it's that obvious. If I measure my thighs circumference at about 7-8cm above the kneecap.... my left leg is about 2cm bigger than my right. And this was so, even after a couple of months of doing PURELY unilaterall lower-leg training (using the same weights, sets, and reps). What I'm told by the board's more knowledgeable ones is that if something's messed up in the abdominal or pelvic area... the VMO thing wont fix itself by working the quads. This is why I have hopes that once I fix my psoas issues things will get better. At least I have a whole arsenal of drills to try now... heh. Glad I could be of any help. But once again, if you are in the USofA, try finding a GOOD practitioner that can examine you and fix you. Be aware, not everyone with a degree in medicine will be able to truly help you. So do some investigating work and find someone who has solved similar issues with people (preferably athletes). From the sound of these boards such people are around every corner in your country, so you're in luck.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #25
John Koshy

Profile:

Well guys I have a HUGE update that might help diagnosing the knee issue. I realized about two days ago that there was something fundamentally wrong in the way I deadlift. Starting since last summer (someone told me to turn my feet out a lot to get close to the bar on deadlifts)....and with my duck feet, I was deadlifting with my feet out at 30 degrees...with knees caving in because with my long femurs, there is no way my arms could be straight if I kept my knees pushed out at that angle. This might really explain why my knee cap keeps tracking to the outside regardless of how many stretches and stuff I do....I've done this stance since last May. I've pulled 320 for 15 reps in this stance....pulled 500 in this stance. Lots of high rep, heavy weight....

anyways, today I deadlifted with my feet pointed straight...knee pain has been drastically reduced. However, I feel the right VMO like pulsating. Hit 370x7 stop and go, just a nice quick set, nothing crazy. Then, I hit deficit pulls 185x5x10 using 35lb plates...and I could DEFINITELY feel the inner quad/VMO area like....working hard? I dunno, it was weird. My left leg, I couldn't feel anything special in the quad, but the right leg, I could definitely feel the inner quad/VMO area working hard. Maybe this is the VMO weakness showing up....

Could deadlifting with the duck foot, knees in, stance like that wreck my knees? I think so....weird that none of my powerlifting teammates noticed my feet turned out like that but more importantly, my knees not being pushed out. Ahhhh!

Edit: and now my right knee hurts like ****....I tried front squatting ATG and it was in pain, near the VMO area. I wonder if the deadlifting today fatigued that area of my right leg which has gotten weak (well I suppose in both legs but only the right one is hurting) from the duck foot stance with knees in on deadlifts.

Last edited by John Koshy : 03-31-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:16 PM   #26
Donald Lee

Profile:

Try doing Terminal Knee Extensions and end range, high rep, slow-medium pace, very light weight, medium effort work on the knee extension machine. If you don't feel your VMO working, have your fingers on your VMO during the exercises to get them to fire properly. Focus on proper execution over weight, intensity, or speed.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:20 PM   #27
John Koshy

Profile:

Links? I did a quick google search but I don't see how I can use weight on this....is there a machine I can do it on? Looks like a standing movement
Old 03-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #28
Donald Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koshy View Post
Links? I did a quick google search but I don't see how I can use weight on this....is there a machine I can do it on? Looks like a standing movement
To be clear, I was referring to two different excercises.

Here's an example of the TKE (Terminal Knee Extensions):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscBVtoX62U

The second exercise is just doing the end range on the seated knee extension machine. The knee extension machine can be quite therapeutic if used with moderate weight and reps.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 AM   #29
John Koshy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
To be clear, I was referring to two different excercises.

Here's an example of the TKE (Terminal Knee Extensions):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZscBVtoX62U

The second exercise is just doing the end range on the seated knee extension machine. The knee extension machine can be quite therapeutic if used with moderate weight and reps.
Ahhh, sorry I have no access to bands . Crap. Just curious, do you agree that deadlifting with the feet turned out and knees turned in probably really exacerbated the knees-tracking-outside/weak VMO issue? Especially with the 6+ months I was doing this and the heavy weight and volume
Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 AM   #30
John Koshy

Profile:

Another quick thing guys...I had a hunch and I followed up on it...I did the squat stretch, and it's HARD. I think my adductors are super tight. Wow...