CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 01-06-2011, 10:36 AM   #41
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: Correcting an Air Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post

On which note, if you actually take 5 minutes to look into it, her recommendation pretty much follows anything you will find Rip saying in past cf articles or Q&A in terms of air squat vs weighted squat having different forms, even if he doesn't come out and outright state air squat has no transferability... Its certainly implied that if you want to perform weighted squats, it will be different from an air squat, and you should practice the form using weight.
Pendaly, Louie Simmons, Chris M, Greg Everett all say the same thing. ALL of them are or were a part of CROSSFIT. All say that air squats have no transferability to weighted squats. ALL say that the whole buttwink thing isn't important. All say that there's no universal torso position. The majority of experts in CF agree, so you must be a crossfit hater if you think that you should spend hours breaking down ones airsquat form.

Last edited by Thomas Green : 01-06-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:45 AM   #42
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Pendaly, Louie Simmons, Chris M, Greg Everett all say the same thing. ALL of them are or were a part of CROSSFIT. All say that air squats have no transferability to weighted squats. ALL say that the whole buttwink thing isn't important. All say that there's no universal torso position. The majority of experts in CF agree, so you must be a crossfit hater if you think that you should spend hours breaking down ones airsquat form.
also Justin Lascek
Old 01-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #43
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

to the OP:

knees out
butt back
chest up
Worry more about what you're doing when you're bearing weight.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:23 AM   #44
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson Detweiler View Post
20 air squats with slightly wide stance & straight feet to focus on adductors (I'm noticing my right knee rolling in my heavier squats)
I'll stay away from all the back-and-forth on this page, but if you want to work on this particular portion, I've had people fix their issues by getting a mini band like this:

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elit...id=114&pid=515 (WFS)

Double it over so you have a two smaller loops that's half the size of the original and fold it over so it's two loops on top of the other. Then, step in and pull it up to your knees, take one of the loops and put it over your knees and one just below. Now squat and fight the resistance of the bands by pushing your knees out as you squat. That'll give you some good feedback as you squat so you don't have to rely on video, just fight the resistance and keep pushing out. Good luck.

(And yes, get your feet closer together to shoulder width)
Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #45
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Well, I have over 3000 posts on this forum, Rene. It seems that you fixate on a handful of posts of mine and interpret them to mean that I hate CrossFit, which is far from the truth. You don't want or need my help or my opinion, and that's fine. When other people stop asking for my advice and using it to become better CrossFitters, then that might be the time for me to leave.

There are plenty of people on these forums who know me in real life. They've competed with me or trained with me or cheered for me or coached me or been coached by me. If I was going to care about people's opinions, those would be the ones that would matter.

I have also kept a public workout log here since I started. I may never be the best at anything, whether it is CrossFit or weightlifting or powerlifting, but I train and compete because I love it. If I ever start worrying about what I've achieved, I'll just go read my log.
Good to know...I'll keep an eye out for your more supportive posts.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #46
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam adkins View Post
I don't mean to hijack this thread but these types of statements make my skin crawl.

What exactly is "doing crossfit"?????????

If you follow CFFB do you "crossfit"?
If you follow CFE do you "crossfit"?

If the answer is yes to both then what is "crossfit"?

The CFJ is one of my most cherished resources. I am active on this board and frequent about 10 affiliate sites a day to see their programming. But I don't recall ever doing a "hero" workout, I don't do chippers or wallballs and I think thrusters are silly and SDHP's are actually dangerous. So do I "crossfit"?

If not, what is it exactly that I do?

A friend of mine, goes to Gold's. Does he "Gold's Gyms"?
That's always been a $10 question as long as I've been around. It used to be defined as "doing the WOD from the website", but obviously, as you have pointed out with the reference to other sites, that has changed.

You may want to ask Tamara her definition, as she is the one who stated "I don't do CrossFit".

I don't know what you do.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:50 PM   #47
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
You may want to ask Tamara her definition, as she is the one who stated "I don't do CrossFit".
I don't think that what I do right now is CrossFit because I am not doing any conditioning at all. That's not to say that I won't add conditioning back at some point, but it hasn't been in my regular programming for the last 6 months. To me, eliminating conditioning means that my programming isn't constantly varied, and I think that constantly varied is a key piece of CrossFit.

And, I guess even that is subjective. Because there are certainly people who take time off from conditioning to do SS or another strength program, and they still consider themselves CrossFitters. For me personally, I saw CrossFit as my sport. I didn't do it as GPP. I did it to compete. So, since I don't plan to compete in CrossFit anymore, I don't think that I "do CrossFit."
Old 01-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #48
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

If someone is totally unable to perform a proper air squat, then adding weight to the system will not improve things. Form, flexibility, depth, etc. Beyond that you need to work on putting some weight on the bar.

TC: Keep on being you. It is interesting to read your point of view. You have come so far in such a short time. Until I started Crossfit at an affiliate in Alaska two years ago, I really did not like lifting at all. Now I totally look forward to a one on one session with a heavy barbell! Looking to enter my first Master's Oly comp sometime this year. If it was not for Crossfit, I would not have had exposure to the Oly lifts. (Tony and Clay: Thank you again!)

Bryan
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #49
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
TC: Keep on being you. It is interesting to read your point of view. You have come so far in such a short time. Until I started Crossfit at an affiliate in Alaska two years ago, I really did not like lifting at all. Now I totally look forward to a one on one session with a heavy barbell! Looking to enter my first Master's Oly comp sometime this year. If it was not for Crossfit, I would not have had exposure to the Oly lifts. (Tony and Clay: Thank you again!)

Bryan
Thanks, Bryan.

You should compete in a sanctioned meet before March 9, and then you can compete at Nationals with me in April . Nationals is a qualifying meet for the Pan American Games and the last qualifying meet for Worlds.

http://www.mastersweightlifting.org/...ters_entry.pdf (WFS)
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
Bryan Kemper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Thanks, Bryan.

You should compete in a sanctioned meet before March 9, and then you can compete at Nationals with me in April . Nationals is a qualifying meet for the Pan American Games and the last qualifying meet for Worlds.
Tamara,

Thank you for the push in the right direction. There are not too many meets in the South Dakota neighborhood (definitely more than in AK), so we are looking at later in the year. Colorado has some meets in the summer and early fall, so that may be our goal. If the USAW/CF Open comes around again this year, I will definitely compete.

In the mean time, we are competing in the SD State Powerlifting meet in March. I look at this as the Crossfit equivalent of entering a 5K race. I don't think that I will win, but I do have the chance to set a personal contest PR. I do get frustrated that there are more opportunities for powerlifting than for Oly lifting. Then so many "equipped" contests vs "raw". Give me a break, what is more challenging that lifting heavy weights from ground to overhead?

Good luck in your Master's quest!