CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #71
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: Athletes and Snatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
Ah, not always but usually.

No, actually usually they are NOT the fastest.

Old 11-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #72
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Poor Robert... So ignorant and soooo angry...

Reference those examples. They are the results of studies done by one of the pioneers of the science of motor learning. They are, in fact, quite true.
you crack me up man. Not sure what your need to attempt to make things personal is, but it really takes away from any point you may be trying to make

why don't you provide a link to this "pioneer of science" and his work?

I will grant you that an athlete that trains running in circles will be more adapted to and better at that then an athlete that only trains running straight. But to extrapolate from that idea that there is little to no carry over from running in a straight line to running in a circle is a huge jump that is not supported at all.

It is the equivalent of this:
Lets say that someone who trains open ocean swimming is faster at open ocean swimming than someone who trains in a lap pool (most likely true, though i haven't done a double blind study to prove it). Therefore there is no carry over from swimming in a lap pool to swimming in the ocean.

Same faulty logic, different situation.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:12 PM   #73
Terry Gibbs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post

It's my position that the Olympic lifts are really not that hard to teach if the gym culture supports the sport. It's my position that the correlation between the Olympic lifts and performance in most other sports is positive, not negative, so therefore it's not asking too much for athletes to learn how to snatch and clean and jerk.
but if you can win a world championship without it, (Reese Hoffa, Danni Damuels, Gerd Kanter, Adam Nelson, ) don't you think they may know something you don't..

there was a day coaches said you must
power clean, squat and bench, and all shotputters, discus throwers and hammer throwers looked the same, but times have changed in our sport.

now some people may thrive on the OL, Fuerbach is the obvious example, but not everyone needs them

not saying you don't know your OL, but don't you think throwers may have worked out what is best for throwers,

Old 11-28-2010, 05:23 PM   #74
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gibbs View Post
but if you can win a world championship without it, (Reese Hoffa, Danni Damuels, Gerd Kanter, Adam Nelson, ) don't you think they may know something you don't..

there was a day coaches said you must
power clean, squat and bench, and all shotputters, discus throwers and hammer throwers looked the same, but times have changed in our sport.

now some people may thrive on the OL, Fuerbach is the obvious example, but not everyone needs them

not saying you don't know your OL, but don't you think throwers may have worked out what is best for throwers,
You surely know more about this topic then I dio. But, I WATCHED Adam Nelson snatch and clean in Greece in 2004. He also did bounding squats and waited for me to finish my DL sets before he took over the rack, despite the fact my weights were LOW and he was being filmed by the NSA Souda Bay PA office. Classy dude.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:30 PM   #75
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
you crack me up man. Not sure what your need to attempt to make things personal is, but it really takes away from any point you may be trying to make

why don't you provide a link to this "pioneer of science" and his work?

I will grant you that an athlete that trains running in circles will be more adapted to and better at that then an athlete that only trains running straight. But to extrapolate from that idea that there is little to no carry over from running in a straight line to running in a circle is a huge jump that is not supported at all.

It is the equivalent of this:
Lets say that someone who trains open ocean swimming is faster at open ocean swimming than someone who trains in a lap pool (most likely true, though i haven't done a double blind study to prove it). Therefore there is no carry over from swimming in a lap pool to swimming in the ocean.

Same faulty logic, different situation.
I did so because you seem to have a big issue with me and for you to act surprised that I reacted as I did intrigues me.

I did not provide the link because quite frankly I could not remember it. The gentleman's name is Robert N. Singer and he published a text Motor Learning and Human Performance.

By the way, it isn't faulty logic, it is the direct result of a study. Logic and the function of the human body don't always go together in the sense that what might seem to be the logical path is not simply because one does not know all of the variables.

Last edited by Chris Mason : 11-28-2010 at 05:35 PM.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:02 PM   #76
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Poor Robert... So ignorant and soooo angry...
Poor Chris, so insulting and so out of here. Timeout for you. Read the AUP while you're on vacation....

Closed Thread