CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #251
Wayne Riddle

Profile:
Re: For those that argue Westside is only for the advanced...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M. Scott View Post
Then why do you have an avatar of yourself fighting some dude in a gi?
Why do you assume she is "fighting" in her profile picture?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #252
Matt Payne

Profile:

[quote=Ryan M. Scott;872591]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
That's interesting. While I wouldn't call myself a "fighter,"

Then why do you have an avatar of yourself fighting some dude in a gi? Ugh god, these forums are so ****ing ***. you're all retarded. Crossfit is a a corporation, you may as well we be selling your **** to Nike. ******s.
Ryan, what are you even doing on this forum then? Go to a forum where everyone is as smart as you. And that picture does not look like she is fighting in a Gi.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #253
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Chris, there is no need to be adversarial here. I have been very positive about the Westside system and Louie... I have made it a point to be positive about your system and to give it credit where credit is due precisely so that this didnt end up in a name calling contest.

Earlier when I said "we" you asked who i meant. I meant people who do the OHS.
Glenn,

First, the response you quoted was not directed at you. Read the original again.

Next, I honestly don't care if you are positive about Westside or not. That is not being adversarial, that is just stating a fact.

Since we are clarifying, I should also state that I have no issue with the Olympic lifts. I think they can be fun and interesting. My issue is with their perceived application to things beyond their sport and execution. In other words, the fact someone would want to compete in O lifting is very cool. I respect the best O athletes as amazingly skilled and strong individuals. I think doing the exercises for general fitness as used in CF is cool as well.

Using them for other sports is inefficient and less effective.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:02 PM   #254
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Glenn,

First, the response you quoted was not directed at you. Read the original again.

Next, I honestly don't care if you are positive about Westside or not. That is not being adversarial, that is just stating a fact.

Since we are clarifying, I should also state that I have no issue with the Olympic lifts. I think they can be fun and interesting. My issue is with their perceived application to things beyond their sport and execution. In other words, the fact someone would want to compete in O lifting is very cool. I respect the best O athletes as amazingly skilled and strong individuals. I think doing the exercises for general fitness as used in CF is cool as well.

Using them for other sports is inefficient and less effective.
And Chris, again, let me ask you why a clean would be less applicable to "other sports" than a deadlift, or a push press less applicable than a bench press.

Obviously I dont think they are less applicable, and, I would love to hear your reasoning as to why they are.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #255
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
And Chris, again, let me ask you why a clean would be less applicable to "other sports" than a deadlift, or a push press less applicable than a bench press.

Obviously I dont think they are less applicable, and, I would love to hear your reasoning as to why they are.
Glenn, geez, I've said it about 10 times in this thread (or more).

They are less applicable because CNS related adaptations to resistance exercise are only, or extremely extensively confined to that specific movement and loading pattern. In other words, they do NOT carryover to other movements such as sporting activity etc.

What resistance training CAN do for the athlete is improve the force production capacity of the muscles trained. In other words, hypertrophy of the contractile myofibrils etc. This increased force production capacity can then be translated to improvements in a given sport by practicing sport specific activities. As CNS adaptations occur for said sporting movements the increased force production capacity can be translated to those specific patterns and thus improved performance can be realized.

O lifts are inferior to powerlifts and bodybuilding movements at eliciting hypertrophy of the contractile myofibrils and are thus inferior exercises for sporting improvement (unless of course the sport involves the exercise like competitive O lifting).

Old 11-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #256
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
Read above you boob. I answered it. The real translation is that the comment indicated HE had no idea of what I was saying and I wanted him to admit it.
Last warning. Post civilly without name calling and insults, or don't post.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #257
Lynne Pitts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan M. Scott View Post
Then why do you have an avatar of yourself fighting some dude in a gi? Ugh god, these forums are so ****ing ***. you're all retarded. Crossfit is a a corporation, you may as well we be selling your **** to Nike. ******s.
and another one bites the dust.

Closed Thread