CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Casey Marek
Member Casey Marek is offline
 
Casey Marek's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton  OH
Posts: 56
My air squat beginner

I feel like I have good form. I cannot get low enough yet with out butt winking. I cant go down slowly with out geting stuck and falling over.
I feel like my quads are really tight while I do these and I feel tightness in my knees too.

Advice is more than welcomed. I really want to get this down and feel what a nice mature squat feels like.
Thanks !
Case

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfSuVgWzSwg
__________________
If you're getting off track and you wanna get back , gonna take a lot of work , gonna break your back."

Last edited by Casey Marek : 08-05-2010 at 07:54 PM. Reason: forgot the link
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #2
Özgün Subasi
Member Özgün Subasi is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kaiserslautern  Germany
Posts: 34
Re: My air squat beginner

I assume you are following this "sit-back" cue which obviously doesn't work for you. The cue is usually given either to keep the lower back tight or to keep the weight on the heels. Since you are lifting the toes up, your weight can't come too much forward anyway. Just think about squatting down while lifting the toes and the chest up. Please try that and see whether it helps before thinking about other cues.

Also, look at those captures from your video. The one from 48. second is probably your best one among the deeper squats. The one from 52. second is taken just before you lost your balance. Can you see the differences between them? Maybe if you figure it out yourself, you will remember it better.
Attached Images
File Type: png second48.png (121.2 KB, 345 views)
File Type: png second52.png (117.5 KB, 292 views)

Last edited by Özgün Subasi : 08-05-2010 at 11:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:45 AM   #3
Matthew Mills
Member Matthew Mills is offline
 
Matthew Mills's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Coarsegold  Ca.
Posts: 168
Re: My air squat beginner

Can you "sit" like a baseball catcher? If not, then we need to work on other things. Start from that position and just stand up. Then lower yourself back to that sitting position. I don't care if it's ugly at this point, just get it done. Your reps will get faster, stick with it!

I'm not trying to over-simplifying, but you just need to squat.
__________________
http://www.crossfitftf.com/
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:45 AM   #4
Suzanne Campbell
Member Suzanne Campbell is offline
 
Suzanne Campbell's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Maryville  TN
Posts: 1,688
Re: My air squat beginner

Also, you may want to try starting with squatting to a box which is just below parallel. Just lower down and touch the box and then stand back up. I think you may be overthinking it somewhat. Try to concentrate on keeping a tight midsection while squatting. Looks like you are all loosey goosey which is not helping with your stability. Keep working on it-you'll get there.
__________________
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. It's the hard that makes it great." My Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
Casey Marek
Member Casey Marek is offline
 
Casey Marek's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton  OH
Posts: 56
Re: My air squat beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Özgün Subasi View Post
I assume you are following this "sit-back" cue which obviously doesn't work for you. The cue is usually given either to keep the lower back tight or to keep the weight on the heels. Since you are lifting the toes up, your weight can't come too much forward anyway. Just think about squatting down while lifting the toes and the chest up. Please try that and see whether it helps before thinking about other cues.

Also, look at those captures from your video. The one from 48. second is probably your best one among the deeper squats. The one from 52. second is taken just before you lost your balance. Can you see the differences between them? Maybe if you figure it out yourself, you will remember it better.

Yeah I noticed the difference between 48 and 52 . In 52 Im already kind of falling back and compared to 48 I dont look as solid. Thanks for your help.
__________________
If you're getting off track and you wanna get back , gonna take a lot of work , gonna break your back."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
Casey Marek
Member Casey Marek is offline
 
Casey Marek's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton  OH
Posts: 56
Re: My air squat beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Parton View Post
Also, you may want to try starting with squatting to a box which is just below parallel. Just lower down and touch the box and then stand back up. I think you may be overthinking it somewhat. Try to concentrate on keeping a tight midsection while squatting. Looks like you are all loosey goosey which is not helping with your stability. Keep working on it-you'll get there.
Hey thanks for the advice. Im gonna try that lower than patella box squat.
__________________
If you're getting off track and you wanna get back , gonna take a lot of work , gonna break your back."
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #7
Casey Marek
Member Casey Marek is offline
 
Casey Marek's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton  OH
Posts: 56
Re: My air squat beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Mills View Post
Can you "sit" like a baseball catcher? If not, then we need to work on other things. Start from that position and just stand up. Then lower yourself back to that sitting position. I don't care if it's ugly at this point, just get it done. Your reps will get faster, stick with it!

I'm not trying to over-simplifying, but you just need to squat.
yeah I hear what you are saying. I want to just squat. I feel like my knees are gonna pop or im gona pull something in them . So I am being overly cautious.
__________________
If you're getting off track and you wanna get back , gonna take a lot of work , gonna break your back."

Last edited by Casey Marek : 08-06-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Addition
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Tara Garrett
Member Tara Garrett is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Asheville  NC
Posts: 153
Re: My air squat beginner

For the quad tightness, get a foam roller. I had 2 mos of intensive knee rehab when I first started CF. I couldn't squat much lower than you and part of my PT RX was to foam roll my quads after warming up, in between sets, and when I was done. For such a small investment (~$10) you get a lot of bang for the buck.
__________________
Training is a process, not the events of one day. - Rip
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #9
Casey Marek
Member Casey Marek is offline
 
Casey Marek's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Dayton  OH
Posts: 56
Re: My air squat beginner

thanks everyone for your help
__________________
If you're getting off track and you wanna get back , gonna take a lot of work , gonna break your back."
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Chris Kemp
Affiliate Chris Kemp is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester-Le-Street  North East England
Posts: 837
Re: My air squat beginner

Casey, you are falling over because you are sending your butt back but trying to keep an upright torso and reaching up rather than forward. You have to go through having an immature squat before you get a mature squat.

Keep sitting your butt back and reach forward and up with your hands (try and keep hands just above eye level at all stages through the movement).

Also looks like your feet are facing directly forward. With a shoulder width stance like you have try turning your toes out 30 degrees or so and ensure your knees stay aligned with the toes at all times.

Lastly, I think you would be better off focussing on keeping your feet flat on the floor rather than raising the toes. You are over exaggerating that cue and with all the other issues in your squat it is not helping.

Cheers, kempie
__________________
Take a deep breath ... Now do it again!
http://www.crossfitnortheastengland.com
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
air squat flexibility Daniel Krull Health and Medical Issues 18 04-20-2011 05:45 AM
Air squat form Eneas Bradly Exercises 7 04-27-2009 11:14 AM
Air Squat Form!? Marcel Zwinger Digital Coaching 2 02-05-2009 10:39 PM
why can't I do a simple air squat??? Chris H Laing Exercises 15 10-05-2008 06:14 PM
air squat posture Kirez Reynolds Exercises 7 01-27-2008 03:23 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.