CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-22-2010, 05:35 AM   #11
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: What excercise makes you puke everytime?

I'm thinking you all have been trolled.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:01 AM   #12
William A Cantrell

Profile:

Well to all of you that have not puked...I have and it was actually minutes after I had finshed the work out. I was catching my breath, slowing my breathing, I decided I'd have some water (only a few mouthfuls), bad choice and right back up it game I was emabarrased to say the least. Globos are the last place you wanna throw up. I seriously had someone ask if they should call 911...
Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 AM   #13
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Bohlinger View Post
I can always return the nutrients I have lost.
And buy or cook another meal? It's hard enough for me to eat all the food I need in the first place.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #14
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"I really dont care about your opinion if people should puke or not"

I have played D3 and D2 rugby and practiced with D1 teams. I've practiced in all conditions from snow on the ground to 95 -100 degrees with high humidty.

I've never seen anyone puke at practice and the teams I practiced with regurlary went to playoffs.

If you are puking, you need to reevalute your training.

I'm with Shane on the eating.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
Brent Eno

Profile:

Man, you guys need to relax with the lecturing. Yea, if you're constantly doing it, you need to tone it down, but it doesn't always mean you went too far. Sometimes certain movements just make you feel nauseous. A few people in our box absolutely hate glute-ham situps and inverted burpees because they make them feel like they are going to throw up, and some have thrown up. It messes with their equilibrium.

I've only thrown up once, and it was after Fran(Thrusters made me feel a little loopy when I first started). I really wanted to break 4 minutes, and it was only my second time doing it. I pushed myself as hard as I possibly could. Afterward, I could barely breath, the room started spinning, and I puked up the water I drank on the ride to the gym. I had to wait an hour before I felt like I could drive home. But it was worth it: 3 minutes, 54 seconds.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #16
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"It messes with their equilibrium."

THis is a different issue.

I will not let up until this attitude that says ripped hands, bleeding calloused and puking are cool and prove that I'm tough. When that stops, I'll stop.

Torn up hands and bleeding callous says your form sucks, you don't know when to quit and you need better hand care. It also means you now have a injury that needs to be trained around which complicates programming.

See my previous post about puking.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #17
Brent Eno

Profile:

I completely agree that the perception of torn hands and puking as badass is absolutely ridiculous.

I don't think it is a separate issue. Certain movements can have that effect on certain people. Everyone is different, and experiences will vary. But I do believe that nausea and puking is more prevalent in those that are just starting crossfit. The intensity combined the introduction of new movements(burpee, thruster, GHD) can shock one's body.

I also believe this is where the idea that ripped hands and puking are cool begins. Think of it like this: you went to a globo for years, and all of the sudden you found crossfit. You're first WOD just kicked your ***, caused you to vomit, and your hands look like ****. You feel like you've found something thats brand new, exciting, and way beyond anything you were doing at the globo. You feel like a badass because, while everyone else is doing bicep curls, you are giving everything you've got in your workouts and completely punishing yourself. This may last a little while, but eventually you realize that its childish and you need to take a more careful, intelligent approach to your programming and workouts. I think that attitude will always be there in some form as new people are steered toward Crossfit, but you eventually grow out of it.

In my experience there are a few workouts that will make you rip, no matter what. Every time I do Eva or 150 pullups for time, I have at least one tear, and I take good care of my hands. If your hands constantly look like you just committed murder one after a wod, you need to make some changes, both in form and skin care.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I completely agree and I'm trying to steer people as quickly as I can. Both for their training and my sanity.

I'm just waiting for the "sandbag squats are more functional than barbell squats becuase the tear my hands up more and make puke" post.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #19
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I completely agree and I'm trying to steer people as quickly as I can. Both for their training and my sanity.

I'm just waiting for the "sandbag squats are more functional than barbell squats becuase the tear my hands up more and make puke" post.
Haha you know its coming...
Old 06-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #20
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I know, I already have the gas can, matches and duct tape ready.