CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #21
Victor Putz

Profile:
Re: No matter how much I run...

Actually, there was a way in which I almost liked running. We had a Siberian husky. Of course it was pointless trying to tire him out, but he just loved running so much that it was infectious. If I even looked at the leash the right way he'd start running around and yowling. Dragged the heck out of me because I could never go fast enough, and eventually led to some terrifying (but fun) experiments with a bicycle, two huskies, and some webbing harnesses... but running with a dog is way more fun than running alone. Sure miss that guy.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Do bigger people ever like running? Honest question. I think I'd like running if I was 150lbs.

I don't even know what a good mile is for a 200lbs person because none of the 200lbs+ people I know ever run. I know that I was better at running at 180 than at 196. I'm also better at it at 196 than I was yesterday at 225lbs (30lbs weight vest). Seems like it's very weight dependent.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 06-08-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"Don't digress either!"

You don't know me very well, do you?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #24
Mike Onghena

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ohr View Post
.. does anyone have anything that works for them to make running more enjoyable? Tips or advice would be appreciated.
The possibility that I will complete a given run faster that I did last time is the only reason I ever attempt running. It sorta works for me. I made great progress last year.

I won't even consider running on a treadmill. I won't run on a track either, unless I'm doing 400M intervals or something.

+1 on the running GPS to mix things up a bit. Although lately, I do not look at it until I am done.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #25
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Play a sport that invovles running (soccer, rugby, lax, Bball, etc)
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #26
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
Do bigger people ever like running? Honest question. I think I'd like running if I was 150lbs.

I don't even know what a good mile is for a 200lbs person because none of the 200lbs+ people I know ever run. I know that I was better at running at 180 than at 196. I'm also better at it at 196 than I was yesterday at 225lbs (30lbs weight vest). Seems like it's very weight dependent.
There are actually quite a few big dudes in the ultrarunning community. Not competitive ones, just recreational ultrarunners. You'd think that to be able to finish an ultramarathon that you'd need to be lean, but that doesn't seem to be true. In the rest of the running community, everyone seems to be super skinny, though.

David Goggins is a rare example of a big elite endurance runner. I think he's around 190 lbs now. He was 280 lbs before he was a runner.

Last edited by Shane Skowron : 06-08-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM   #27
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I like running, but only fast or with obsticales and such.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:49 AM   #28
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Rather than run, I'll head through the city to work some lines and do a bit of parkour. Plenty of fun, and no need for anything like iPod or GPS, you just run, jump and climb until you've had enough.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:36 PM   #29
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post

Yes. We just don't run as fast as some of our skinnier counterparts sometimes.

But as Pre said, "A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more."
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #30
Keith Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Beaulieu View Post
Try short sprints -- 100 yards, 50 yards, 100 meters, etc. I don't really do 5Ks or 400/800 meter runs, but I find that I love to sprint -- they're intense, a really good workout, and over quickly!
Andy has a point. I mean, the only time I run any distance 5K or longer is when I'm in a race(and like you, I like the people interaction, or competition), otherwise, it's sprint intervals.