CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
Bryan Ohr

Profile:
No matter how much I run...

...it never gets any easier....or more fun...and continually feels like a terrible chore.

I've tried running at the track, on the street, in the woods. I've tried with music and with out music. And I just got a pair of Nike Free Runs which are great to run in, but don't necessarily make it a totally enjoyable experience.

I generally don't run more than 3 miles in any one outing and the only time it's somewhat enjoyable (maybe manageable is a better word) is if I'm running with another person, or group of people that are on my level of speed and stamina (I don't like getting left in the dust or leaving people in the dust, just the camaraderie of being out).

Other than maybe posting a Craigslist ad for a running partner in my area, does anyone have anything that works for them to make running more enjoyable? Tips or advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Re: No matter how much I run...

I have been a very weak runner for most of my life. I only made progress when I chose to follow a proven plan and stuck to it day after day, week after week. Once I did that, the progress came just like it comes when you follow a proven strength or oly lifting program.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #3
Bryan Ohr

Profile:

It's not so much an improvement or an ability problem I'm having, I just absolutely HATE running. Like no matter how hard a WOD is, I at least enjoy doing them and what not, but with running its just never enjoyable.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:01 PM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

If you don't like it there's probably nothing (aside from making it more of a sociable-type event) that will make it more fun for you. But that's why I like CF--I can get as good as I need to at running without ever really having to do any of it. If I wanted to run a 16:00 5K or a sub-3 hour marathon it would be a different story.

What are your goals? And why will avoiding extra running prevent you from reaching them? If the answer is "it won't" then you've got nothing to worry about.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

the only thing that works for me is trail running. The steeper the better. Running on the street or (god forbid) a treadmill is so dull I can't describe it. I've done two 10k runs this way and they were both torture, although my times were decent (under 50 minutes)

A trail has a whole different feel. Where I live a lot of trails are rocky, steep, and surrounded on both sides by cactus. If you don't watch every step, you'll face-plant before you know it, and the ground is very unforgiving... the constant vigilance helps pass the time and makes the run a mental challenge. On the uphill it's more of a fast hike, as I don't have the capacity to actually run up much of a grade for very long, but I keep to a run on the flats and the downhills.

I've done runs up to 2 hours on trails and enjoyed them. the only thing that sucks is the extra time involved in driving there and back, and getting up at 5:00 to avoid 100+ degree heat.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

What Eric said. If you don't enjoy running and don't have goals that require it, then don't do it. There are plenty of other ways to get fit.

For moderate intensity cardio, rowing, swimming, and bicycling all work. I like bicycling because (a) it doesn't have the impact, (b) you can achieve decent speeds, and (c) you can cover a decent amount of distance. YMMV.

Katherine
Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #7
Victor Putz

Profile:

I'm with you--I hate running (and have ever since being on my high school cross-country team...). I solve that problem by just not running. Sure, I take a hit in running performance, and that's unfortunate. I'm trying to work up subbing jump rope, which isn't exactly a "running sub", but it's exhausting (I sure can't skip for as long as I can run...), challenging, and space-efficient... and doesn't aggravate my pronation.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:09 AM   #8
Bryan Ohr

Profile:

I don't have any running goals, I just figured it was a good tool to utilize to stay in shape. I do ride bikes, row on a machine, swim and jump rope too. So I'll try to concentrate more on those. Thanks every one
Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 AM   #9
Andy Beaulieu

Profile:

Try short sprints -- 100 yards, 50 yards, 100 meters, etc. I don't really do 5Ks or 400/800 meter runs, but I find that I love to sprint -- they're intense, a really good workout, and over quickly!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #10
Shane Skowron

Profile:

+1 to trail running and -1 to treadmill running.

I can spend hours on the trails without getting bored. More than a half mile or so on the dreadmill and I want to leave.