CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-05-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
Brian Niven

Profile:
Body-Solid Bumpers?

Anyone use Body Solid Bumpers?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Bryan T Weber

Profile:
Re: Body-Solid Bumpers?

They seem to be fine. I'm a BodySolid dealer in CT and a lot of the local affiliates use them. The 10's seem to bend some.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Jeran Kuenzie

Profile:

I just picked up a set of 4 10s and 2 25s yesterday. I used them last night and they seemed to be just fine. There is a guy in the StL area who has them for a pretty good price.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Matt Corley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeran Kuenzie View Post
I just picked up a set of 4 10s and 2 25s yesterday. I used them last night and they seemed to be just fine. There is a guy in the StL area who has them for a pretty good price.
Is this the guy in Fenton? Or somewhere else? I'd like to maybe pick up some more bumpers.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:15 AM   #5
Allan Jackman

Profile:

Not to hijack this thread, but I'm fairly new to CrossFit, what's the difference between bumper plates and plates that I use at the gym? In other words, why are they called bumper plates?
Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #6
Paul Poterek

Profile:

Allan,

The bumpers (a solid rubber, rebounding plate) that are referred to are a solid rubber plate with a brass or steel insert whereas the plates you're most likely used to in a typical, non Cross-fit gym are likely iron, rubber coated iron, or urethane coated iron.

The solid rubber bumper is generally a thicker plate than their aforementioned counterparts as they're comprised wholly of the less denser rubber to create a comparable weight.

There are myriad reasons that bumpers are of particular value to Cross-Fitters. They're designed for the majority of bar exercises Cross-Fitters do, to be dropped with minimal damage to floors, and to withstand the cracking that can otherwise occur with coated iron core plates, etc.

In health,
Paul J. Poterek
GM- Troy Barbell
Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Anthony Giurato

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Jackman View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but I'm fairly new to CrossFit, what's the difference between bumper plates and plates that I use at the gym? In other words, why are they called bumper plates?
To see bumper plates in action, check out this video: WFS
Garage Gym bumper plate review

Specifically, skip to about 8:30 in. This video compares a couple of bumper models. The lady in the video has no concern about dropping the weight from overhead onto the floor. If you did that with the weights at a typical gym, odds are something would break the first time you try.

Here is a list of 4 types of weights from least to most bouncy:
  1. Iron plates - These are your typical gym weights. They look and feel like metal.
  2. Rubber coated iron plates - These are the same as above, but have a very thin layer of rubber on the outside. This prevents the weights from chipping metal or paint over time. However, if you drop these, you will still break the floor.
  3. Dead blow bumper plates - These can and are meant to be dropped. They are the safest kind of bumpers since they bounce the least.
  4. Bouncy bumper plates - These are like the HiTemps in the video I posted above. They bounce a lot. The con to this is they are less safe since they can bounce quite high and hit you or something else. However, they do the least damage to the floor and are probably the best bet if you plan on dropping them straight on concrete.

Someone will probably come in here and shoot holes in my list, but it should tell you enough to tell the difference in types.
Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Allan Jackman

Profile:

Anthony & Paul,
Thanks for the informative answer. I bet if I dropped the plates in the gym here I'd get some nasty looks, like I did while doing barbell snatches tonight, ha.

Actually, the gym here in Kuwait has some of those bumper plates (brightly colored and larger than the traditional gym plate). Now that I know, when I get back home, I'll direct my purchases to the bumper plates.

Allan