CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Steve Nelson

Profile:
Texas? Houston, Dallas or Austin

Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to move to either of the above great American cities in Texas for work. I've been to all three and have my opinions on them, but am curious to hear some of the Texan members opinions of the three. I'm from the east coast and am always struck by the friendliness of people I've met in Texas - people seem genuinely straight shooters. Whats important to me are: Good public schools, culture, an acceptance/appreciation of diversity, progressiveness, good and fairly priced housing. While I CF at home, I'd love to join an affiliate so, most importantly, who has the best CF boxes!

Thank you!
Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:
Re: Texas? Houston, Dallas or Austin

From someone who has never been to Texas... I have always "heard" that Austin is more "progressive". I'm curious as to what some Texans have to say as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
Renee Lee

Profile:

i'm a native new englander and have been to houston and dallas. i enjoyed dallas, i HATED houston.

i've heard great things about austin...BUT dallas is close to rip, tucker, pendlay, gant, and jlaschek.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nelson View Post
Hi everyone,

I have an opportunity to move to either of the above great American cities in Texas for work. I've been to all three and have my opinions on them, but am curious to hear some of the Texan members opinions of the three. I'm from the east coast and am always struck by the friendliness of people I've met in Texas - people seem genuinely straight shooters. Whats important to me are: Good public schools, culture, an acceptance/appreciation of diversity, progressiveness, good and fairly priced housing. While I CF at home, I'd love to join an affiliate so, most importantly, who has the best CF boxes!

Thank you!
I can't really fairly compare the three cities in all of the areas that you have specified, but I will say that, having been here for 25+ years, I really enjoy Austin's laid-back atmosphere, cultural diversity ("Keep Austin Weird"), dining options, and (though I don't partake of it much) happenin' night life. We're actually in Cedar Park (just barely NW of Austin), and we have been very happy with the schools. Housing pricing, I'm told, is higher here than in Houston, but I haven't checked that myself. Can't say how it compares to Dallas.

I grew up in Houston and would really never want to either go back there or live in Dallas. Just too much concrete, neon, and signage for me. Austin's outdoor activities (lots of mountain biking, road riding, rock climbing, kayaking, fishing, etc...) and proximity to the Texas Hill Country is just more my speed.

As for CF affiliates...I doubt that you can really get an answer on which of the three cities has the "best" affiliates. Austin's best-known box is Crossfit Central (wfs http://www.crossfitcentral.com (home of Jeremy Thiel, 3rd in 2008 Games, 6th in 2007), but there are several other good ones. I'm at Crossfit Leander (wfs http://www.crossfitleander.com). They're a pretty new affiliate, but they're definitely off to a positive start, and I love it there. In terms of volume, I would imagine that both Dallas and Houston have more choices, but I have no doubt that you'd be able to find a happy CF home in the Austin area.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 12-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Eric Gagnon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i'm a native new englander and have been to houston and dallas. i enjoyed dallas, i HATED houston.

i've heard great things about austin...BUT dallas is close to rip, tucker, pendlay, gant, and jlaschek.
This should be your deciding factor! Id love to train with those guys!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
John Casey

Profile:

I live in south Texas (Kingsville). I hate it. Everyone tells me Austin is the saving grace of Texas, but I have yet to go there. For some reason I doubt there is such thing as a saving grace for Texas, but it sounds like Austin is the only hope for that.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Steve Nelson

Profile:

thanks guys, very helpful responses! confirms some of my thinking on the matter.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
John Ariens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nelson View Post
Hi everyone,

Thank you!
It sounds like you'll enjoy Austin. Housing isn't too cheap there, but Dallas really isn't much better.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #9
Greg Michalak

Profile:

Texan by Birth and currently living in San Antonio.

Your best bet is Austin. As said above, it has a large outdoor activity community (runners, cyclists, triathletes) including an extensive network or trails and shouldered cycling lanes as well as access to water sports (Lake Travis and Barton Springs). On top of this is the night life and a large local music scene, the Alamo Drafthouse movie theater and other cultural activities. Community is also far more liberal than the surrounding (i.e. smaller) towns.

Houston and Dallas have their strong points (culturally), but Rip and Tucker are not in Dallas, but Witchita Falls (~ 1.5 hours north of DFW) and Fort Worth, respectively. Both are for more congested traffic-wise and more prone to extreme weather (not that Austin is immune). You're best bet is to live AND work outside of the city centers, avoiding much of the traffic these towns generate. Texas has avoided most of the fallout economically, so each of these cities will have affordable housing and reasonable cost of living compared to other major cities.

If you hate the local pro or collegiate teams, you are SOL in any of these cities.

Best of luck in your choice.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #10
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"If you hate the local pro or collegiate teams, you are SOL in any of these cities."

Dammit, I'm trying to find a city to live in that for the most part doesn't care about sports they don't actually play. Does this in fact exist? I thought Austin would be a good bet.