CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #21
Jason Martin

Profile:
Re: Lifting barefoot? Good or bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
Excellent point.
No, it's not really... the inside of a running shoe is about as far from what our foot was designed to walk/run on as you can get. Hard packed dirt is not much "softer" than asphalt.

How does padding on the bottom of the foot prevent injury from weights dropped from above? Does the breathable mesh upper have some kind of magical toe protective coating?

I have not tested this, but I think a foot will get messed up one way or the other if you drop enough weight on it.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:50 PM   #22
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
... Oly lifting... if you're dropping weights.

The dude did say he was doing cleans in his first post.
Agreed.

I can't believe I forgot to mention that I almost had *another* guy drop a weight on my foot yesterday at the gym. I had just finished squats and another guy was taking over the rack. He was stripping my weight to be nice to me and dropped a weight (a 5, I think) from the rack all the way to the floor, about a sternum-level drop. Very close to his feet and fairly close to mine. THis stuff happens. If folks want to take their chances, then I hope it works out well, but I'm not going to!
Old 11-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #23
Paul Coplin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Martin View Post
No, it's not really... the inside of a running shoe is about as far from what our foot was designed to walk/run on as you can get. Hard packed dirt is not much "softer" than asphalt.
Asphalt has no give - even the hardest packed dirt has give. I would NOT want to walk/run around all day barefoot on asphalt. Good way to get a stress fracture.

Quote:

How does padding on the bottom of the foot prevent injury from weights dropped from above? Does the breathable mesh upper have some kind of magical toe protective coating?

I have not tested this, but I think a foot will get messed up one way or the other if you drop enough weight on it.
Again, padding underneath will give the toe/foot room to move when something is dropped on it, versus being crushed between it and a concrete floor.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:39 PM   #24
Alex McRobie

Profile:

lifting shoes for lifting,
barefoot for everything else.

my 0.02
Old 11-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #25
Jason Martin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Coplin View Post
Again, padding underneath will give the toe/foot room to move when something is dropped on it, versus being crushed between it and a concrete floor.
No way are weight lifting shoes going to protect your feet from a dropped 25 pound plate. Shod or not you are going to get a broken toe. This is a simple matter of physics.

Strengthening the lower leg and foot could increase a person's ability to stabilize weight in a lift. Couldn't this could actually prevent an injury and help with form?

Those that run with out shoes, have less impact force on knees and hips. If running on a harder surface is bad, it would make sense that one would opt for a running style that lessens impact right?
Old 11-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #26
Brad Davis

Profile:

Quote:
No way are weight lifting shoes going to protect your feet from a dropped 25 pound plate...
It will if the 25 lb plate is dropped from a small height. That same plate will take off a toenail or maybe even break a bone if barefoot. Same goes with a 5-10 lb plate dropped from a little higher.

Here's a question, and there might be an answer. Is there a study that shows that training barefoot actually increases strength, agility, balance, conditioning, or any other performance parameter, as compared to training in shoes? For example, someone could take 40 trainees (half barefoot) and put them through the same S&C program for 6 months and then measure improvements in S&C parameters. Has this been reported? (I ask because I perceive there to be a risk to training barefoot. If there is enough benefit, then the benefit/risk ratio might make the practice worth it.)
Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #27
Ed Haywood

Profile:

Quote:
OK, go run a marathon barefoot on pavement and tell us how that works out for you.

Last edited by Ed Haywood : 11-13-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #28
Leslie Powell

Profile:

There are definitely people out there doing that. Everyone might not be ready for it, but it's do-able for more than just a few mutants.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #29
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Haywood View Post
OK, go run a marathon barefoot on pavement and tell us how that works out for you.
go to a marathon and observe the athletes from kenya that are doing exactly that and posting times under 2:30.

we (very much including myself) are too pampered by shoes to do such a thing, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #30
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Ashley View Post
go to a marathon and observe the athletes from kenya that are doing exactly that and posting times under 2:30.

we (very much including myself) are too pampered by shoes to do such a thing, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
In an ideal world shoes wouldn't exist and most everyone would be cured of sprained ankles from decreased proprioception, plantar fasciitis and flat feet.

Plus, there would be no need for POSE running because everyone would run correctly!