CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #11
Charlie Karnick

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Wichita Falls Programming

I just started this program on Monday. I'll be interested in getting some more info about it. Thanks!!
Old 09-10-2009, 10:53 PM   #12
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Comment from a novice here, feedback welcome...

Seems to me this is a mutated form of CFSB, with a linear progression instead of the building progression.

I am very new to strength programming but I have read some of the arguments for the two different styles of strength building.

Where I can see you have differed from CFSB is no Heavy High Rep sets after the 3-5RM stuff, I assume you intend to throw these around in the short Heavy WODs instead.

My question is this…

It seems to me your program and CFSB are saying this.

"Essentially you can grab any of the recommended strength programs (SS, Texas, etc) depending on your current level and preference etc and then throw in some properly programmed short heavy MetCons to create a 'strength biased' program that still pushed MetCon up slowly, or at least maintains it."

Have I got this right or am I overlooking something here due to my inexperience?

Now don't get me wrong finding the programming sweet spot here is the art but the over ridding recipe seems to be...

1 Cup of pure strength program
+
1/2 Cup of properly programmed Short heavy MetCons
+
Stir in a bowl to get it just right
=
A Strength biased program that once one has reached intermediate levels will provide a greater return on investment then the MetCon Biased programs.

If I'm off base here, feedback very welcome.

Cheers

Sean
Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #13
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Sommariva View Post
Spain must hate Rip.
I'm pretty sure she does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean J Hunter View Post
Seems to me this is a mutated form of CFSB.
No.

Justin fails to mention that he subjects his trainees to nonsensical organic chemistry homework on the chalk board and doing pushups in dog pee. That's the secret ingredient.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
Sean J Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Justin fails to mention that he subjects his trainees to nonsensical organic chemistry homework on the chalk board and doing pushups in dog pee. That's the secret ingredient.
Well there's always that, but I took that all as a gimme really.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:27 AM   #15
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoffman View Post
I've been thinking of doing this program after SS. Thanks for uploading met-cons.
If you do this program after you do a complete cycle of SS, you won't progress. This is because you have completed SS when you can no longer add weight to the bar, even after several resets. So this program is only really applicable for novices.

My buddy and I did this exact program over a year ago when we were trying to get our conditioning back after doing TM for about 6 months. We stalled on all lifts in about 3 weeks. I imagine it is probably good if you are still a novice lifter. Other than that, the merits of this program are limited.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:31 AM   #16
Paul Sousa

Profile:

I'm hoping to start this program in the fall/winter once the weather puts a crimp on my outdoor training.

Ryan, just noticed your sig, one of my favorite movie quotes.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 AM   #17
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
Ryan, just noticed your sig, one of my favorite movie quotes.
I am also a fan of this one:

"I've got two guns, one for each of you."
Old 09-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
If you do this program after you do a complete cycle of SS, you won't progress. This is because you have completed SS when you can no longer add weight to the bar, even after several resets. So this program is only really applicable for novices.

My buddy and I did this exact program over a year ago when we were trying to get our conditioning back after doing TM for about 6 months. We stalled on all lifts in about 3 weeks. I imagine it is probably good if you are still a novice lifter. Other than that, the merits of this program are limited.
So am I better off doing SS or this program if I'm looking to increase my strength. I would consider myself a novice nearing intermediate.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #19
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub Kruhlik View Post
So am I better off doing SS or this program if I'm looking to increase my strength. I would consider myself a novice nearing intermediate.
What are your goals?

If you are just trying to get stronger, I would just do SS until you can't put anymore weight on the bar. From there you can do a whole lot of different intermediate programs.

If you just want a GPP program that has a more structured strength program than CF, this would be a great program. But your lifts are going to eventually stall, which might not be a big deal to you. Being an intermediate lifter is not a bad thing. Rip himself says that most people won't ever need to get stronger than they are at the intermediate stage. It's up to you.

Good luck.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #20
Jakub Kruhlik

Profile:

yea i just want to get stronger. as of right now my lifts are as follows:

BS: 250
DL: 300
Bench: 190
Press: 140