CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
Daniel Krull

Profile:
Question Ring muscle-up injury prevention

Hey. I just got my first ring muscle-up yesterday and today I tried 30 ring Muscle-Ups for time and only got to 20 full lock-out ring Muscle-Ups.

Friends told me to be careful with the shoulders. Why is that?

What should I do/be aware of with Ring Muscle-Ups? How often should I do high volume and what should I do to prevent injury? I'm just new to the ring Muscle-Ups and want to make sure that I'm going at them the right way!

Thanks for the help in advance!

P.S. What can I use to help my grip on the rings? Thanks.

Last edited by Daniel Krull : 08-09-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:47 AM   #2
Kevin Trangone

Profile:
Re: Ring muscle-up injury prevention

The only thing I could see being the problem with shoulders is that the dip you transition into tends to be very deep (at least with my muscle ups they are). I'm not an expert in this area so there is probably something I am missing.

Congrats on getting the first muscle up btw! Just keep playing with the rings and your grip will improve with time. Chalk helps a little too.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:

Well, as long as you're flipping the transition at once. Don't do each arm separately that can put a bunch of stress unequally on your shoulders.

Unless you have mobility problems or some structural deformations your shoulders should be fine though.

For grip: false grip holds, false grip pullups... false grip everything
Old 08-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #4
Daniel Krull

Profile:

Thanks Steven! Based off your other posts I've read before... I trust your judgment. I don't even know how those people do one arm at a time anyways!
Old 08-11-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
Christian Lemburg

Profile:

Prevention in MUs - it's all about shoulder mobility (warm up! broomstick stretch!) and avoiding elbow overuse problems (forearm massage! don't overdo it!).

My recommendation would be to warm up a little bit before attempting the first MU - e.g., arm circles, maybe some pullups and dips, etc. - making sure you are not too tight in the shoulders. NOT getting up in the morning and do as-many-as-you-can MUs as the first move in your warmup (yes, been there, done it, it is pretty stupid). Similarly, NOT trying to squeeze out 30 MUs when being sore and tight after a max benching effort etc.

There is a high temptation to do many MUs, all the time, after you just got your first one. Resist it and build up gradually, and you will be fine.

Steven is very right about making the transition with both arms at the same time - the only times when I really hurt my shoulders during MUs was always after trying to fight out that last one using the one-arm-at-a-time-struggle-through-strategy. Don't do that, stay with good form and accept your limit for that set.

Just my 2 cent,

Christian
Old 08-11-2009, 07:24 AM   #6
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

Keep the rings as close to your body as possible, especially during the transition. As far as frequency, I found that I could practice 5-10 every day, but any more than that in the first few months would lead to minor shoulder/elbow issues that would require a few days of recover. Sometimes it would just be soreness/fatigue, but other times I would get tenderness and even numbness around the joints. This was entirely due to form problems (i.e. transitioning with the rings away from the body), but if you're new to the movement, you'll likely have some issues to work out while you're learning.

It's tough not to do them every day once you get up there. Just be smart and ease into it.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Leslie Powell

Profile:

I thought of starting a new thread, but maybe it's better to piggyback on this one.

I've had a solid ring muscleup for a while, but the bar one has always been harder. No idea why, but there it is.

Anyway, my bar M/U is definitely favoring one shoulder over the other. I've been trying to fix that, but it seems to be a really hard habit to break. Wondering what the best approach is: just continue to work on technique, improve strength, something else?

My stats are: about 6 good kipping ring muscle ups in a row, weighted chinup with 90lbs. (BW=180), only one bar muscle up and it's with a swing and that shoulder thing.

Thanks for any advice!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #8
Jason M Struck

Profile:

i varied the false grip until i was doing 5x5's with some added weight.

then I stopped worrying about the grip so much
Old 08-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Powell View Post
I thought of starting a new thread, but maybe it's better to piggyback on this one.

I've had a solid ring muscleup for a while, but the bar one has always been harder. No idea why, but there it is.

Anyway, my bar M/U is definitely favoring one shoulder over the other. I've been trying to fix that, but it seems to be a really hard habit to break. Wondering what the best approach is: just continue to work on technique, improve strength, something else?

My stats are: about 6 good kipping ring muscle ups in a row, weighted chinup with 90lbs. (BW=180), only one bar muscle up and it's with a swing and that shoulder thing.

Thanks for any advice!
You should be able to turn one over strict if you can weighted pull that much. Just practice those...

If you get a vid up we can go over kipping technique...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:30 AM   #10
Roger Harrell

Profile:

The two potential injuries with a muscle up are a dislocated shoulder. This can result from either doing one very poorly and falling bad. It can also result in someone who knows how to do a muscle up but has become deconditioned and just throws it one day.

The second is the one the CF community needs to be careful of and that's the elbow overuse problems. Folks get their muscle up, then do a bunch every day for the next week and develop elbow tendonitis. Just give yourself breaks and pay close attention to your elbows. Also make sure your technique is solid. Don't let your elbows flare out when you fatigue.