CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Paul Casimir

Profile:
Paul C - Green Bay

This first post is to catch up to today.

7/10/2009 Friday
My brother-in-law Kiril suggested I check out crossfit.com. I spent a few hours reading crossfit posts and watching videos. The Thursday WOD of 400m run + 50 air squats seemed to be up my alley, having trained for 5K, 10K, and half-marathon distances for almost 2 years, with my main goal now being to improve my best 5K time of 26:23.

The amount of air squats seemed high, but I've done 150 within 20 minutes in the past so I knew I could do it. I tried the Thursday WOD as my first CrossFit experience. Time: 17:55, with a lot of struggle in the last 2 sets of squats.

7/11/2009 Saturday
Pretty sore from the Friday workout, much more sore than I thought I would be.

Distances of 10K and beyond have been a problem for me, with overall fatigue and breathing being the issues, especially in the morning, which is unfortunate since races are almost always in the morning. I always felt like I couldn't get air in fast enough.

After seeing and understanding the physics behind the Pose Running technique, I was interested in trying it out. According to Pose, I've made running a lot more work than it should have been. Being scheduled for 6 miles today, I decided to bump it up slightly and run 10K using an attempt at Pose on the University of Green Bay arboretum trail which is wood chips, gravel, asphalt, and concrete running. From my driveway to the midpoint of that trail is a gradual 3 mile downhill to the bay of Green Bay. I will GPS-track the run at some point to document the elevation change. It is not an easy running course, especially the long uphill elevation on the way back, some parts fairly steep.

My attempt at Pose was basically leaning forward, trying to plant my feet under my center of gravity, and pulling my feet up rather than using quadricep power to launch myself forward. I did not focus on ball-of-foot landing. My strike point was mid-foot rather than my usual heel strike.

At the 2 mile point of this course I usually hit the first small wall of fatigue. I was surprised to not hit any wall this time, and was feeling great at the 2 mile point. Then the 3 mile point passed, and I was still feeling great, with no pace slowdown at all. A doe, a squirrel, and a handful of rabbits watched me pass along the way, maybe wondering why it took me so long to fix my technique.

Now at the 3.5 mile point, the real test began as the uphill started with a steep hill leading up to the Shorewood golf course on the university grounds. This hill was typically tough for me, but this time I was feeling really good at the top. Mile 4 is usually the point at which I hit a large wall of fatigue and have to play mental games to force my body to keep going. Not this time. No wall, and still feeling good at the 4 mile point.

I knew something special was happening for me, and it was happening because of Pose Running. My Pose technique was not even close to ideal, and yet it had already corrected my foot placement enough to make me much more efficient. I wasn't sweating as much and wasn't breathing as hard. I knew I could keep up this pace for 2 more miles, and at the pace I was running, it would be the fastest 10K I'd ever run. In my head, I poured over the details of this run constantly: I'm sore from Friday, this is not a fast course, I'm running uphill, I didn't come out to run fast, I'm not totally fatigued like usual, I can finish this distance and more -- is this for real?

5 miles passed, which began the toughest part of the run. First, a fairly steep hill, followed by a really long hill. At mile 6 the wall of fatigue never arrived, then I came rolling into the home stretch, then done. Over 1 minute faster than my best 10K time, the 2009 Bellin Run. As I was cooling down I kept saying to myself over and over, "I didn't come out to run my best time." I didn't FEEL like I ran my best time. A PR in the past would always mean I was completely fatigued, entire body trashed, knees and heels hurting, overall feeling bad enough that I questioned if it was worth running. This time was nothing like that. I enjoyed the run and was excited, energized, and thinking of the future possibilities. This was one of those eye-opening times in my life that made me realize how little I know. Fortunately I am learning to keep an open mind and embrace these times.

7/12/2009 Sunday
Played around with deadlifts. Starting at 135 lb and moved up, I was able to get to 225 lb. I don't think I've ever moved a bar with that much weight on it before. It kind of looks impressive to have that much weight on a bar in your basement, even though that isn't a very heavy deadlift for an average weight lifter.

7/13/2009 Monday
Attempted to beat my best mile time of 7:23, but came up short at 7:30. This was on a flat asphalt course. I recently set that 7:23 time as my very first timed outdoor mile. Pose Running didn't make the huge difference in my mile time that it had in my 10K time. I chalked this up to having naturally better form running at a fast pace, so Pose would not make the same large difference. I also had marked the 1/4 mile splits along the way and tried to run even splits, so that technique added another new twist for which I wasn't well prepared. Also my Pose technique needs a ton of work, and I'm sure at the faster pace my Pose was sloppy.

7/14/2009 Tuesday
Tried to beat my 5K PR time, fell short by 40 seconds at 27:03. Outside of the CrossFit community, almost everyone says constantly trying to beat PRs isn't a good workout strategy but with my 10K time falling so easily, I had to try. My 5K PR of 26:23 was set on a flat road course, and today's time was on my tough trail course that ends in a hill that is a half-mile long, so I'm tempted to call this 5K my best performance, not by time but by effort.

7/15/2009 Wednesday
Attempted the Crossfit Nancy WOD, but didn't realize how difficult overhead squats were, and how much flexibility is needed. Even with the 95lb prescribed weight moved down to 40lb, the technique was still very difficult. I only made it through 1 complete set, and 9 reps of the 2nd set before giving up due to not being able to hold the form properly. I am going to scale way back on that lift and work on the form. Finished out the 400m part of the workout.

7/16/2009 Thursday
4m run.
Again, I didn't go out to run fast, but probably ran 4m faster than I ever have, holding a 9:06 pace. I was tired and happy at the end, not totally fatigued like in the past. I used to be a 10:30 minute mile runner. My times have shifted faster so quickly, but it just doesn't feel like they have, because I'm running easier than before.

7/17/2009 Friday
Played around with deadlifts again, couldn't get past 225.

7/18/2009 Saturday
Ran 10K in the morning, with the goal of running a relaxed run and working on my Pose form. I ended up shaving another 50 seconds off my best time, which was really surprising once again because I started out purposely trying to not run fast. I keep thinking to myself, what if this was a flat road course and I was trying to push myself hard? Having a 10K time under 50 minutes seems a lot more possible than it did one week ago.

Got an email from running buddy Kim in Chicago. She tried Pose after I suggested checking it out and during a race this weekend turned in a 5K PR by a significant amount of time, running a 8:44 mile pace. Joan Benoit Samuelson ('84 Olympic gold medal - marathon) congratulated her on her time! Kim also used to be a 10:30 minute mile runner. She said she knew she was turning in a great time when she hit a certain point in the run and realized she was one whole iPod song ahead of pace.

7/19/2009 Sunday
Lower back went out this morning, medium amount of pain, enough to take advil and limit my movement, but not enough to lay me out completely. I think a combination of deadlifts and moving woodworking equipment around in the garage two days ago was the reason. Today was the first hint of pain -- none at all in the last two days, in fact I was feeling very good. I'm going to have to lighten the weight on all my lifts until I get a better handle on form, assuming that was the reason for the back problem.

7/20/2009 Monday
Back is better today, with discomfort but not pain. Fortunately today's WOD is a 5K, which I was going to run anyway. With Kim running that great time, I decided to push this run from the start, on my difficult hills course. This is the first time I have pushed hard using Pose Running. I was expecting to tire quickly at the pace I was running, but I didn't tire during the entire run. I did slow down near the end due to the last half of the run being almost entirely uphill. End result: 25:44, 39 seconds faster than my old PR from the Green Bay Triathlon 5K (I only ran the 5K, not the tri), and that old PR was on the fastest, flattest, easiest course anywhere.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #2
Paul Casimir

Profile:
Re: Paul C - Green Bay

2nd Catchup Post.

7/21/2009 Tuesday
Scheduled for 5 miles -- did two laps around the neighborhood with the kids biking, and went 100% Pose, even ball-of-foot running. Then another 2.4 miles alone mostly ball-of-foot. Raining lightly and 65 at 9:00 PM -- is this really the middle of July? Felt good the entire time although my calves were getting sore near the end. Held Pose completely for 4 out of 5 miles, with mid-foot running for 1 mile. Tonight's run was around 8:50 pace which I consider fast for me. A year ago I would have been very happy with 5 miles in 50 minutes. Pose is changing things quickly.

As I was running, a car full of teens yelled something out to me, but I couldn't make out what they were saying. I'm sure they were complimenting my running form. Later I saw them racing another car in the dark with their headlights off.

CrossFit WOD said deadlift but my back is not 100% yet. In the past I have had semi-chronic low-grade lower back pain from back lifts, so I'm hoping I don't have a mechanical problem with my back that is going to steer me away from deadlifts.

7/22/2009 Wednesday
Back is feeling pretty good today. Calves are extra sore from BOF running yesterday. I think the calves are just getting used to the new range of motion. One of the Pose videos said calf soreness could indicate running on the toes rather than the ball, but I don't think I have that problem -- if anything I'm leaning toward mid-foot.

Pose has me constantly reflecting on my past running. Before, running 20 miles per week would feel like it was breaking me down, and most likely my inefficient higher-impact running WAS doing some damage. Now the miles I'm putting on feel great, like they are building me up, and I actually want to do more miles, but I'm going to stick to my schedule and let any weaker muscles catch up and get a good strength baseline before I go all-out. I'm really enjoying this time of quick improvement and may never see fast gains like this again, so I'm being careful to make this pleasant time last and not overdo things, inviting an injury that would put the brakes on this fun ride.

Scheduled for 2 miles, ran 2.25 mostly Pose the whole way, but tough to hold Pose due to calf soreness. Nothing special about the run, and felt shaky near the end. Not sure why. Nice pace of about 9:00 with some hills. Just a week ago I was wishing for the day when a 9:00 minute mile pace seemed easy. It's not quite easy yet, but close.

7/23/2009 Thursday
Scheduled for 5 miles. Went out for 6 miles, figuring I could walk the last mile, and that is what I ended up doing. My calves were begging me to stop at the 5 mile point, so I finished with a walk. I was able to hold Pose with ball-of-foot running most of the way, at a 9:10 pace. It took a while to sink in that tonight is the fastest I have ever run 5 miles, once again without trying to run at PR pace. As I type this, my calves are really sore. Can't wait for them to catch up so I can push harder. As my training calendar miles increase, I am keeping in mind that CrossFit says I am overtraining the endurance exercising, and am watching closely for any sort of feeling that I am breaking down, but so far Pose has me feeling so good and enjoying running so much, I want to run even more miles than scheduled.

During today's run I saw two other guys on the trail, one a strapping young man running uphill in the opposite direction, taking huge bounding steps. BOOM! BOOM! The other guy I saw near the end, a tall guy built like a linebacker, with a big stride. BOOM! BOOM! My steps were quiet taps in comparison.

Before I started Pose, I had written a few goals on my 12-week 5K training calendar (the Nikeplus.com intermediate 5K coaching program). At the 6 week mark I set a goal of 26:00 5K, and after the entire 12 weeks my ultimate goal was 25:00. Starting that program with a few weeks of no special runs and no progress, dreading the fatigue I would get on anything over 4 miles, I was thinking it wasn't going to happen, but since two weeks of Pose, I've already passed the 26:00 goal with the 25:44 PR, on a hills course no less, with breathing and fatigue problems disappearing. I am going to write the amazing things that have happened over and over so I never forget what Pose has done for me. I've had more progress in two weeks of Pose than I have the entire past year.

7/24/2009 Friday
Scheduled rest day, thankfully, as my calves are very sore. The pain is not as bad as the IT band pain and heel pain I used to have in my right leg throughout the last year. The IT band pain was corrected with Brooks shoes fixing a pronation problem, and the heel pain was fixed by Pose, so now I am pain free. I am thinking my pronation problem would probably be fixed by Pose as well, and maybe I don't need the shoes. Perhaps I will be a barefoot runner someday.

7/25/2009 Saturday
Scheduled for 7 miles. I was able to hold Pose for about 4.5 miles, then my calves started to give out. Up until that point, the run felt easy at a 9:00 pace. At the 5.2 mile mark I walked so I didn't push my calves too hard. I am willing to be patient.

Ran another half mile in the evening with Carol -- she tried Pose and sees the possibilities. Also 2 nieces that jog are checking out the Pose videos.

Carol and I decided we are going to do CrossFit together, so we spent some time getting familiar with the BrandX scaling.

7/26/2009 Sunday
Today's effort was spent cleaning part of the garage out where I hope to one day have rings, rope, pullup bar, wallball, squat cage and a place for overhead lifts. My ceilings in the house are all 8 foot ceilings, making overhead lifts impossible for me. Doing workouts in the Green Bay winter will be brutal in the garage, with the air temp and the temp of the metal plates and bars being tough on the hands. I'll wait until November to worry about that -- maybe get a vented or oxygen-safe heater for the garage and hope the heating doesn't create too much rust-making condensation on the metal.

Tonight I did one round of the CrossFit warmup, just to try it out and see where I was on the pullups and dips. I managed 4 strict underhand grip pullups, which was better than I thought I would do, however now I am 10 pounds lighter than my average 180-185 weight. At one point in the past I was able to do 20 in three sets, so I should be OK with pullups to start out. Dips were a bit of a struggle to get a good range of motion, also my weight bench dip station was very unstable which didn't help.

7/27/2009 Monday
2.5 miles, 1/2 hills, 100% Pose. Felt extremely good and strong before the run, and throughout the entire run. Ran at quick pace of 8:30 or under -- nikeplus sportband said 8:20 but it needs to be recalibrated since my stride length with Pose is shorter. Breathing and calves acted up slightly near the end, but I really don't mind when it feels like I'm flying.

In the middle of the run I thought I was catching up to a walker extremely fast, but it turned out to be a fire hydrant. I need running glasses.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
Paul Casimir

Profile:

"Cindy"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats

5 rounds, only 2 complete unassisted pullup rounds. I planned to take it slow being the first time doing Cindy and out of weightlifting for 6 months, but this thing kicked my butt after 5 minutes. The last 2 rounds took 11 minutes.

Are you kidding me? I can run for 2.5 hours - Cindy kicks my butt in 5 minutes. Now I know why I used to leave 5 minutes between pullup sets -- that is a killer workload with low rest.

At 18:30 I couldn't continue. Heart rate only 120, but feeling completely trashed. I've got the endurance, but not the stamina.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM   #4
Paul Casimir

Profile:

With a continuously running clock do one 135 pound Clean and Jerk the first minute, two 135 pound Clean and Jerks the second minute, three 135 pound Clean and Jerks the third minute... continuing as long as you are able.

-----------------------------

Scaled it down to 66 lbs -- first time doing Clean & Jerks. Made a few practice plates the size of 45s out of scrap plywood so I could use my oly bar. Woo hoo, my first do-it-yourself equipment -- cost: $0. Took a few pics, hopefully I can link them in here later.

Made it into the 6th minute but didn't finish until 6:04. First time doing Clean & Jerks. It took me 10 seconds to do each rep because I had to think each one through. Ugh. I was pretty tired at the 6 minute point anyway, even if I was faster I wouldn't have lasted past 8 minutes.

Spent 20 minutes practicing Clean & Jerks before and after the WOD attempt.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Run 10 K.

Time: 60:00 even

------------------------

I was thinking I would get a PR on this but missed it by about half a minute. The run felt so great, I don't mind not getting a PR. I settled into about a 9:30 pace and really enjoyed the entire run. I have a serious runner's high right now. This is the best I've ever felt after running 10K.

Pose the entire run, 100% ball-of-foot striking, never missed a step. Calves held up with no problem, breathing was great except briefly at the top of the steepest hill, never felt tired all the way to the end, and felt like I could have kept going a lot farther. Steps were very light, almost silent sometimes. Pose is feeling a LOT more natural.

In three weeks I've gone from dreading 10K (but powering through anyway) to loving it.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #6
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Background info:

M/39/6'/175

Lifetime bests before CrossFit:

Back squat: 186 (not max, no cage or spotter)
Bench press: did 1 rep max of 205 13 years ago
Olympic lifts: never did them
1 mile: 7:23
5K: 26:23 (now 25:44)
10K: about 62:15 (now about 59:30)
half marathon: 2:18:31

-------------------------------------

Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I felt like trying for a best mile time. Ran a warmup mile in 9:23, very humid and was hard breathing, so I didn't think I would be able to do it. Maybe I planted the seed of defeat by thinking that. I ran the 1st quarter mile split in 1:45, 7:00 pace, but breathing began to be awful in the humidity so I gave up. One split at 1:45 is better than not trying.

Now I see tomorrow's WOD is 400m -- hopefully tomorrow will be better.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:59 AM   #7
Paul Casimir

Profile:

"Nicole"

Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
Run 400 meters
Max rep Pull-ups

3, 1, 2, 0, 0, 1, 1, 1

Did this on Friday. Ended up using an outside playground bar because my pullup bar is in the basement. Painful on the hands, and my hands turned green from the aging paint. Ow.

Would I have gotten more benefit from assisted pullups?
Old 08-01-2009, 08:31 PM   #8
Paul Casimir

Profile:

Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps

146, 146, 146, 146, 146, 146, 146

146 felt so heavy, I stuck with it the whole time. I think I ran some of my strength away, although I haven't done back squats in years. Did this WOD in the evening. Ran 5 miles in the afternoon. Energy level low during the run, felt wiped out before I even started, really slowed down at 3 miles.

Carol's last 2 days of CrossFit, yay she started!
F/37/5' 8"/mystery weight

"Nicole"
body rows instead of pullups, stationary bike 1/2 mile instead of 400m
12, 12, 10, 9, 8, 9, 8, 6

Back Squat 1-1-1-1-1-1-1 reps
airsquats, airsquats, 15, 26, 30, 45, 56
Good PR for never having done a back squat with weight before.

Last edited by Paul Casimir : 08-01-2009 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 08-02-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Paul Casimir

Profile:

"J.T."

21-15-9 reps of:
Handstand push-ups
Ring dips
Push-ups

Post time to comments.

22:34
Subbed 35lb dumbbells press for HSPU, bench dips for ring dips
30lb dumbbells 2nd & 3rd round

Carol 9:22
Subbed 10lb dumbbells press for HSPU, bench dips for ring dips

A lot tougher than it looked at first. Both of us have jelly arms now.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Paul Casimir

Profile:

"Fight Gone Bad!"

Three rounds of:
Wall-ball, 20 pound ball, 10 ft target (Reps)
Sumo deadlift high-pull, 75 pounds (Reps)
Box Jump, 20" box (Reps)
Push-press, 75 pounds (Reps)
Row (Calories)

----------------

Total: 184

I subbed 12 pound ball, 9 ft target
subbed 56 pounds for SDHP and push-press
17" box jump (stool on a porch step)
burpees for Row

Overall thoughts: This is probably the closest I've come to puking during a workout. Difficult to end one set and immediately start another -- 20 years of resting between sets is not easy to give up. I don't even know what to call the way I felt the last two rounds. Box jumps and burpees were the toughest. The weight amounts weren't heavy, but the workload was so intense, I felt like I was underwater.

Carol's total: 260

Carol subbed 8lb dumbbell thrusters for wall ball,
26 lb SDHP and push press
9" step for box jump
air squats for burpees