CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

Hi all,
On free standing squats with no weight (or with weight for that matter) I go full ROM, butt to ankles and then at the top I fully straighten my torso, stand erect, and pop/extend my hips. What I have found is that when I extend my hips it slows my pace down on squats considerably. Extending the torso and hips at the top takes a significant portion of time and effort especially considering that I am tall and long-legged. I will continue doing them this way but I was wondering if everyone does them this way. They seem to decrease my squat execution time on workouts like Chelsea considerably (25% longer execution time for a set) and I was wondering for comparison if the studs do them this way too. I seem to get way faster reps if I keep my torso inclined forward at the top and only straighten my knees and not my hips. Thanks and take care,
Matt
Old 02-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Incomplete extension of the hips and knees is considered a bad habit, athletically speaking.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:26 PM   #3
Alex McClung

Profile:
My own experience with high-rep high speed squats is that when I perceive fatigue in my legs, I can focus on the hip extension to keep going. Cycle-time from bottom to top is intuitively greater for the longer-framed athlete - there's more ground to cover.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:47 PM   #4
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

Thanks for the replies guys. I realize that full hip extension is better and key for sports. That's why I do 'em that way. I was just wondering if some people don't do them that way b/c it helps their numbers. The hip extension lowers my tabata, chelsea, etc. numbers. Not an issue for me but I just wanted to know if the people with big numbers go full ROM too so I can compare where I'm at. Take care,
Matt
Old 02-10-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
When I see Annie (27 tabata score) or Nicole (20 score) both of them go to full extention. Speed plus proper form is an amazing thing to watch!
Old 02-11-2005, 03:35 AM   #6
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
Another question, do you guys only go to a certain depth? Everytime I watch a crossfit video I see people pausing on a medicine ball...
Old 02-11-2005, 12:40 PM   #7
Matt Schwartz

Profile:

I go as low as possible. It only makes sense to me. Why go less than full range? Full range squats would seem to demand the most work and promote the most athletic movement. I just make sure not to bounce too much on my knee joint at the bottom of the ROM when doing fast squats in order not to jar the connective tissue.
Matt