CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #11
Alex Coots

Profile:
Re: POSE running

Thanks guys. I've had killer shin splints as of late and I'm thinking something's gotta change.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Peter Yeates

Profile:

I made the transition to POSE running about 1 yr ago, before this I injured myself from running way too much in my 20ís and have tried to make a comeback every 2nd year or so with no success (would always re injure myself)

I am now 41 and have had no injuries from running since the first day I tried the POSE technique, though I now donít overdo the running, just follow the WOD, but itís great to be able to run again.

Hope this helps, Pete.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Calem View Post
Before POSE, I would get knee pain, ankle pain and even a lot of discomfort in general in my lower legs.

Ditto on the POSE Ginger. Me too. Has helped tremendously and my time has actually improved.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:41 AM   #14
Aaron C Bennett

Profile:

Instead of buying expensive shoes to run POSE technique, what about making moccasins?
http://www.nativetech.org/clothing/m...n/moctext.html (wfs)
You can make a pair of center-seam mocs very easily and quickly. Or you could put a latigo sole on if you'd like a little more rugged sole.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #15
Tish Traster

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
Instead of buying expensive shoes to run POSE technique, what about making moccasins?
You can make a pair of center-seam mocs very easily and quickly. Or you could put a latigo sole on if you'd like a little more rugged sole.
Puma makes a variety of lo profile running shoes for men and women, starting at $50 and up. I run in a womens Lo-Cat. I paid around $70 for them.

http://www.shopping.com/xDN-shoes-pu...ce_range_50_60
Old 12-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #16
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron C Bennett View Post
And you thought working out in your vibram five fingers made people give you weird looks!

I love your enterprising spirit, Aaron! I was actually pondering the possibility of making a running shoe, also. I'm intrigued by the barefoot running crowd but my understanding is that many/most of them get Nike Frees or Vibrams or similiar to simulate being barefoot. This is out of simple utility, the ground being rough and covered with pebbles, glass, etc, but I feel like I could make a shoe that simulates being barefoot just fine, you know? I was thinking about a leather soled sandal laced up like a roman Caliga (not totally unlike THIS (WFS)).
Old 12-08-2008, 06:09 PM   #17
William Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Peacock View Post
I used to not be able to run more than a mile or two, and had doctor-prescribed orthotics in my athletic shoes due to my flat feet.

I bought & read Chi Running (wfs), which is basically the same thing as POSE running.

I then spent the next 2 months going from no running in the last 8 years to running a marathon (and losing 20lbs!). I completed the marathon without my orthotics, running in racing flats essentially (Newton shoes, designed for POSE running, wfs).

I'm still running, I've done numerous 5k runs and ran in a 24hr relay (6 ppl, 180miles), all without any pain.

I'm 6'1" and 240lbs, heavy athletic build. I'm not a lightweight runner body at all but I can run now thanks to POSE/Chi
Jason, I checked out the Newton shoes link. They look awesome, but man they are expensive. Are they worth it to you? Have you tried any other Pose friendly shoes?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:12 PM   #18
Patrick Janes

Profile:

anyone had any luck overcoming ITBS with pose/chi running?

I've as good as given away running distances longer than about a mile, as it inevitably leaves me unable to walk for a day or two, afterwards. the usual stretching/strengthening/massage remedy for ITBS has not met with much success.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
William Hunter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Janes View Post
anyone had any luck overcoming ITBS with pose/chi running?

I've as good as given away running distances longer than about a mile, as it inevitably leaves me unable to walk for a day or two, afterwards. the usual stretching/strengthening/massage remedy for ITBS has not met with much success.
I have. However, I also made good use of a foam roller plus Graston treatment combined with ART.

BTW Pat, everyone else probably thinks you're a newb, but I remember you from the old days circa 04-05. Good to see you posting again.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #20
Patrick Janes

Profile:

thanks william.

sounds like I should give it a go, along with a resumption of the roller/stretching etc.

and cheers for the memories; lots of new faces (or the message board equivalent) amongst the more avid posters, but it's encouraging to see a few of the old guard still around.